Thread: Bakersfield to SFO--Motorcycle Show!

Hybrid View

SNC1923

Bakersfield to SFO--Motorcycle Show!

Having just purchased my first BMW, an '04 RT, my riding buddy Bryan and I decided to head north on Hwy 1 to San Francisco to see the Cycle World Bike show. We didn't leave until about 7:30 a.m. (a decision we would later regret) and spent a LOT of time on photo stops, bathroom breaks (Bryan's bladder is as small as his Yamaha's gas tank) and other tomfoolery. Here's a photo stop before we even left town, let alone the county.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SNC1923
    It was indeed fortunate for us that our ride included two of Pashnit.com's top 5 California motorcycle roads. The first (which runs within a mile of my house) is Hwy 58 leading west from Bakersfield to the coast at Morro Bay. It is a beautiful ribbon of road characterized by exhiliarating twisties and relaxing straightaways. It also has a series of woop-de-doos that will have your stomach in your throat and, if not mindful, your front wheel of the ground at 90 mph. . . . If you manage to make it to Morro Bay, be sure to stop into the Coffee Pot for a great breakfast.

Here's one of the few pieces of specific scenery on an otherwise desolate 58. At current California prices, this shack is probably worth about 125k.

SNC1923
    The other top 5 California road is, of course, Hwy 1 heading north. You can read more about it on pashnit.com. It's a hundred or so miles of twisties with spectacular views of the Pacific. The main problem is getting stuck behind a line of cars; there are few opportunities to pass. Bryan and I were riding up on a Friday morning and we encountered suprisingly little traffic. Here's one of a thousand beautiful views (the ocean, not me).
    Last edited by SNC 1923; 11-17-2004 at 04:15 AM.

SNC1923
    There are several wonderful bridges on the 1. Here's one of them. Like I said, LOTS of photo breaks.

SNC1923
    We stopped at a restaurant (didn't eat there--think it was called the Outlook) and it had spectacular ocean views. We took a nice stretch and walked out on the rocks. Here's the view from the restaurant.
    Last edited by SNC 1923; 11-17-2004 at 04:17 AM.

rock on, man. i like the one of the bridge especially.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

SNC1923
    AFter a 12 hour ride (I said there were a lot of stops and that we would regret having left at 7:30 a.m.) we finally made it to SF. The last two hours of the ride were in the dark; it was cold and windy, and Bryan had no fairing, little windshield, no heated grips, and his fish and chips dinner from Bubba Gump's in Monterey was wreaking havoc with his lower GI. Poor guy was a trooper following my tailight for 100 miles. We took the 92 across to Modesto and it was really hazardous due to construction. Nonetheless, we finally made it.

Here's a rejuvinated Bryan checking at a Buell on Saturday morning.
    Last edited by SNC 1923; 11-17-2004 at 04:13 AM.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    That would be a very large Steak!!!
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride