Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Camera suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    Your tag line says it all. You just like to argue.

Jim
    Busted!

Also, the Ansel Adams moonrise shot story is told by his son Michael (who was there) in this video: http://www.silberstudios.tv/previous...el-adams-home/

The story starts about 1 minute into the video.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    This after all, is why I suggested the formation of this forum area several years ago, to allow the forum membership with an interest in photography to share our shots and knowledge and views and perhaps provide others some useful information.
    I applaud you for being a pioneer in Forum photography. And, it's OK with me if you believe you don't need image stabilization. Clearly, you believe you don't. But, it's not OK with me if folks believe you and follow this part of your advice to the detriment of their hand-held motorcycle travel photos.

If you don't have a second chance to shoot the picture, IS can greatly help to assure you capture it well, the first time. If you find it more manly to shoot without it, just turn it off, and take what you get.

If it didn't help, it wouldn't be offered on a huge majority of fine cameras.

Jim

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Also, the Ansel Adams moonrise shot story is told by his son Michael (who was there) in this video: http://www.silberstudios.tv/previous...el-adams-home/

The story starts about 1 minute into the video.
    GREAT LINK There is a treasure trove of information there!

THANK YOU!

Lots of good info here. I have one thing to add. make sure your new Camera has a Viewfinder. I love my Nikon digital pocket Camera, but its very hard to use in bright sunlight. my next one will have a viewfinder...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

rocketman

I applaud you for being a pioneer in Forum photography. And, it's OK with me if you believe you don't need image stabilization. Clearly, you believe you don't. But, it's not OK with me if folks believe you and follow this part of your advice to the detriment of their hand-held motorcycle travel photos.

If you don't have a second chance to shoot the picture, IS can greatly help to assure you capture it well, the first time. If you find it more manly to shoot without it, just turn it off, and take what you get.

If it didn't help, it wouldn't be offered on a huge majority of fine cameras.

Jim
    Hmm, what can I say, the use of insults to make a point, is well, pointless and hardly conducive to an informative discussion. You win, I'm done with this.

RM

Agree, but it's hard to find anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Lots of good info here. I have one thing to add. make sure your new Camera has a Viewfinder. I love my Nikon digital pocket Camera, but its very hard to use in bright sunlight. my next one will have a viewfinder...
    I was starting to think I was the only one who still ever uses optical viewfinders. Bravo. The trouble is, in point and shoot cameras, they seem to be getting hard to find.

You are right, though. Those LCD screens can be almost impossible to see in bright sun. I'm contemplating my next digital camera for this summer, and the other features I want, need and use seem to come on point and shoot cameras that have done away with the optical viewfinder. If I can find one with all that I need (see the early post - before that silly argument about stabilization - you'll see the other features I like), I'll put it on the top of the list.

And blame Voni Glaves for intimidating me into returning to riding with a camera, again. If she can remember to put captions on her pics, I guess I can add pictures to some words I write.

All the manufacturers just introduced their 2010 models, so it's study time. The good news seems to be that all that competition is bringing useful tech (especially wider angle zoom lenses) at reasonable prices. Happy shooting. Happier riding,

Jim

We'll all be richer for it, Jim LOL

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Lightbulb One such camera

All the manufacturers just introduced their 2010 models, so it's study time. The good news seems to be that all that competition is bringing useful tech (especially wider angle zoom lenses) at reasonable prices.
    Jim
    Along these lines, I've been keeping an eye on the latest new camera offerings, particularly as to what I want in a new point-and-shoot (hereafter PAS) unit. Previously, I tried to put forth what YOU might want. They may overlap at points. Or not.

The new Samsung TLC350 (vaporware, announced but not shipping yet) looks hot. It has two IS methods. It has a 5x 24mm Schneider wide angle zoom lens. (I've been using Schneider lenses since my darkroom days, with admiration.) It doesn't have an optical viewfinder, but it does have an AMOLED screen, that should be brighter, sharper, and easier to see in the sunshine. It uses SD/SDHC cards, which are common. It shoots 1080p video, and has an HDMI output for an HD TV. It uses a rechargeable battery (which is both good and bad). I would have to carry a spare, and keep it charged.

The camera seems to have every feature I want in a PAS, and is a pocket camera to boot. It can save 10MP (enough) shots in RAW file format; that is important for me doing photojournalism. It can save in JPEG too, which is what is good enough, otherwise.

The TLC350 can do some other stuff that is frosting on MY cake: shoot 10fps bursts to catch action shots, snap up to 1/1500th sec shots to stop action, shoot slow motion at up to 1000 fps (!), and allows enough control to allow the photog to have some say over depth of field.

I have also looked at some of the new Nikon and Canon PAS introductions. They have some similar offerings, but none caught my eye quite like the specs on this Samsung. That said, I carried a vintage Nikon FM2 around the world many times, and I have a soft spot for Nikon. Also, the MSLP for the TLC350 is $349, within my budget (by $1).

It may not be the camera I buy. With 13 inches of snow on the ground here, I have some time to shop.

Again, this isn't necessarily a solution for you. You might want something much simpler, or a more complex DSLR, or one of the new "4/3" cameras. But, it shows what I want in features in a PAS that can provide photos good enough for publication. I has to be capable of taking very good pictures. To me, that starts with a clarity and depth that tends to make a flat paper photo look deep in color, shadow and shade. You have to train your eyes to see this quality; sheer pixels and bits aren't it. All I have to do is try to get the composition right, and not drop the damn thing in a creek.

We'll see if the Samsung TLC350 has any rude surprises when some early adopters (not me) test fly them. Meanwhile, pass me that Nikon and Canon catalog, again...

Jim

Postscript: This is probably way too much camera for the typical rider who wants to take pictures of friends, bikes, and scenery. This is a pretty serious business camera. Consider that, and take my comments in context. I'm buying the camera for me. -S

Last edited by jimshaw; 02-24-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added review link

Updated

Updated

The new Olympus E-PN 1 and 2 look interesting, if expensive. Sort of combine the aspects of a point and shoot and a DSLR

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn45 View Post
    The new Olympus E-PN 1 and 2 look interesting, if expensive. Sort of combine the aspects of a point and shoot and a DSLR
    got one for my birthday.
    returned it.
    it is too limited.
    and, it was an olympus.

not a critical review here.
    just what i did.
    g r a n t

STILL loving my Panasonic! It had a problem with the focus zooming in and out. Sent it in and in 8 days I had a new reconditioned RED camera.

Love they stand behind their product~

Voni
    sMiling

Today only, WOOT has the refurbished Panasonic for $99 WITH an SD card, battery, and carrying case!

What a deal!

Voni
    sMiling