Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some HD riders!

Some HD riders!

I live in eastern Washington. There is a nice loop I like to ride some evenings after dinner that takes me down into Oregon, east along the Columbia River, and back into Washington a bit west of Walla Walla.

I was on my GS adventure, with panniers and top box on, in an area where a county sheriff often likes to set up a radar trap. It was a 55 zone, and I was cruising along right at 55. I see what looks like a bike in the distance behind me and think it could possibly be a motor officer, so I stay right at 55. It gets closer and I see it's a couple, two up on what looked like a Fatboy. I hold my lane position and speed. They swing out to pass me and I keep my speed exactly the same. I didn't do a thing. The passenger, a lady, is in short shorts, a tank top and flip flops. I make a mental note to hope she has an opportunity to speak with someone who has had skin grafts and then reconsiders her riding attire. To each their own though. This guy proceeds to aggressively swerve back, right in front of me. His rear tire was less than 5' from my front when he whipped over. They both extend their left arms and give me the bird, and then high five each other! He then blips the throttle several times, as if the sound of his manly ride will surely impress me. At this point the part of me that was saying it's just a couple out for an evening cruise was replaced by a voice telling me "oh hell no!". I realize I probably looked much less cool than them, and probably a bit goofy, in my riding gear, boots and full face helmet, on the funny looking foreign motorcycle.

I rolled my throttle on. By the time I was at about his 8:00 he realized I was passing him and I heard his bike start to make a lot of noise, but not exactly leap forward with any sort of urgency. I didn't even look over at them as I passed. He continued to try to catch up, and I witnessed a couple of really stupid passes in my rear view. Even though the GS is far from a sport bike, I think he thought his hog should suck me up and spit me out. Somehow I think he was genuinely surprised. He became smaller and smaller in my rear view and when I hit the twisty section of the ride I never saw them again.

I have owned some different looking bikes, and have always been amazed at some of the comments from some of the HD crowd, like "when are you going to get a real bike?". I travel quite a bit on a bike, and really enjoy talking with other riders. I would never insult someone else's bike, no matter what it was. One time, when I was on a panhead, I had a guy on a much newer HD tell me my bike couldn't be a "real" Harley. Where do some of these folks form their ideas and come to think that HD is the only company that makes real bikes? I don't get the air of superiority at all, or their apparent disdain for anything with two wheels that isn't an HD.

Oh well, thankfully they still seem to be a rather small minority.

There is such a multitude of ways for people to proudly display their blatant ignorance...

Of course the sheriff is never around when you actually want him to be...

In the years I had my Sportster, I was told by pan & shovel riders to get a real bike... huh??

Several of my riding buds have hogs of various engines ... good folk and most of 'em actually DO know how to ride & wrench ... lots of noise for not going so fast ... lots of engine mods, but my teeny li'l 1128 doesn't have any problem at all keeping up with - or passing - them...
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 07-24-2014 at 04:09 PM.

He's probably posting on a HD forum how he dissed some dork on a kraut scooter and left him in the weeds.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

There are ignorant people anywhere, or on or in any vehicle.
    When I see the noisy bikes, or cars, I always notice they make a lot of noise. But don't seem to be going very fast. Or faster than any other vehicle.
    So, to me, it's just comedy.

I think the vast majority of Harley riders realize we are all on two wheels. So we are all 'in the same boat' so to speak.
    Except for scooters. That is a different world. Scooter world. You can wave to them, they never wave back.
    dc

Aph

APH = Always Passing Harleys. Don't we all do it sometimes?

[QUOTE=Beemer01;949882]APH = Always Passing Harleys. Don't we all do it sometimes? [/QUOTE

My daughter has ridden with me since she was 5, and is now 13. One of her favorite things is passing Harley's, especially in a turn. She usually tells me "stand up daddy, it is so funny when we pass them with you standing up!" In their world of floor boards and forward controls standing up is not an option and it seems to freak them out a bit. I had one guy tell me at a gas stop that I shouldn't be "stunting" on public roads. I asked what he meant, and he said he had seen me standing up coming into town. A lot of times when entering a small town where the speed drops down significantly I will stand up for a bit in addition to flashing my brake light to make sure motorists behind me see me and notice the speed change. I explained to this guy that I had footpegs and bars designed for comfortably standing, and even have a flip down part of my rear brake lever to make it easier to actuate when standing for long periods. I think it was all lost on this guy though.

Back when Bill Fenderson owned Harley's Farthest North Outpost in Fairbanks I bought some bikes from him. Back then the majority of the HD riders seemed quite a bit different than many of the current breed that ride HD's. I really don't get this craze to build things like 120" motors when any kid with a fresh license and a 600cc sport bike can still embarrass them from a performance standpoint.

Thankfully they probably aren't the majority of the HD riders, but there certainly seems to be no lack of them.

"Comedy" is a pretty good description.

I'll stand sometimes to get a better view, stretch my legs for a sec, or even readjust my jeans...
    And even did it when I had my FLHTC...

A few years ago, my girlfriend (at the time) and I were just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, just entering that pretty area where PCH turns back to the coast, me on my RS and she on her Sporty (gasp!), both of us laden with road trip gear. In one of the curves, we were very quickly (and smoothly) passed by a couple on a fully-laden GS. Nice!

Long story made short, I came up behind a custom HD with very loud pipes. As I passed him, I heard the HD engine get even louder, he had it wide open I guess. I made the pass easy, just rolling on the throttle and left him behind. As I came to a red light, slowed and stopped, waiting for the light to change, it was a long light and just before it changed the HD finally caught up and pulled up beside me. The helmet less rider yelled at me over the din of his engine " What the #%&! is that thing" ??? I said just a "family station wagon" with my side cases and top case, as I pulled out and left him agin.

Last edited by patiodadio; Today at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    Long story made short, I came up behind a custom HD with very loud pipes. As I passed him, I heard the HD engine get even louder, he had it wide open I guess. I made the pass easy, just rolling on the throttle and left him behind. As I came to a red light, slowed and stopped, waiting for the light to change, it was a long light and just before it changed the HD finally caught up and pulled up beside me. He helmet less rider yelled at me over the din of his engine " What the #%&! is that thing" ??? I said just a "family station wagon" with my side cases and top case, as I pulled out and left him agin.

Awesome! Isn't it something how the uninformed HD rider assumes his bike is actually quick/fast? I get it from the folks on V-Rods, but the guys on Heritage Softails and the like just really make me grin. On Beartooth pass last year, with my daughter on the back I think some of the HD folks were genuinely surprised that someone could pass them, let alone a loaded up GS with two folks on it. They just really don't get it. I know a guy that used to enjoy dusting off the HD folks, and some of the squids on sportbikes, on a Suzuki Bergman scooter. Oh the humiliation!

What's that Sonny Barger quote? "If the bylaws would allow it I'd probably be riding a BMW or maybe a Honda."

But seriously those HD riders were the kind who buy a Harley because it's cool to own because everyone does. A "real" Harley rider make poke fun but will appreciate the machine. Years ago I had 2 guys who had the real look of 1%ers, (not costumes) asked about my K1200LT. More importantly they asked if it had the power center stand and were disappointed when I told them mine didn't. They were cordial and friendly. It didn't hurt that I admired the Road Glide and knew one was a Road Glide and one was a Road King. My wife though it cool when they called her "Little Lady" and told her to enjoy riding with her "Old Man".
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I have heard of guys getting tickets for riding standing up.
    I guess certain cops don't know too much.
    I saw a sport biker standing up, on one foot, on the seat, with his other leg up in the air, in the car pool (fast) lane on the 110 southbound approximately Carson St about 2 years ago. Both hands on the grips.
    So I suppose he could show you guys standing up on your GSs.
    dc

It's okay, some of them really know what to ride. Too bad you couldn't show him this!

habeemer.jpg
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    He's probably posting on a HD forum how he dissed some dork on a kraut scooter and left him in the weeds.
    That assumes they have the capability to use modern technology. More likely boasting over beers in some dingy bar.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Not all HD's are slow. My brother took his stock 1200 to the drag strip last Friday & it went 12.50s @ 108 mph.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Not all HD's are slow. My brother took his stock 1200 to the drag strip last Friday & it went 12.50s @ 108 mph.
    In the Michigan State Police tests of 2013 Police motorcycles, the two Harleys ran the quarter mile at 14.98 and 14.95 at a speed of 89 MPH. Their top speed ( not 1/4 mile ) was only 103.