Thread: Advice for adirondaks?

Advice for adirondaks?

OK, this is a little late in coming- we are leaving in two days (Sat 6/21) from South Central PA for a ride up to the Adirondaks.

Several of us are taking our Airheads for a nice weekend's ride. One day up, another day riding around up there, and another day home.
    Staying in Old Forge. I ASSUME we'll ride Sunday up to Lake Placid then swing back to Old Forge.

Any tips on places to eat, bars, sights, sounds, killer roads, overlooks, etc. will be most welcome. Hard roads only, or SHORT runs on gravel.

THANKS GUYS!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Last time I was in Old Forge several deer were strolling around in the middle of town.

If you go to Lake Placid, it's a nice ride over towards Wilmington to get to Whiteface Mountain. You can take the chairlift at the ski resort up to the summit of Little Whiteface. Or you could travel towards Wilmington and take the road to the summit of Whiteface Mountain. The road up the mountain is paved the whole way, but is bumpy from frost heaves so you can't go too fast.

Lake Placid village has shops and restaurants, and you can also ride around Mirror Lake.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Thanks!

I heard that at Whiteface it's the Veteran's Memorial Highway to the top. I guess there's a small fee? I checked the World Wide Web- apparently the road is open weekends but is undergoing maintenance and/or repairs IE ROADWORK... Prolly ride it anyway if at all possible.

Just waxed my boots up today with Sno Seal, my go-to waterproofing for over 35 years now.

Of course, today I also got a call to go work in NYC for the next three weeks!
    Beginning tomorrow.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

The road up the mountain definitely needs some work.

http://www.whiteface.com/activities/memorial-highway

There is a small fee to use the road. You could check at the ski area, maybe they would know about conditions of the road. The "chair lift" is actually an enclosed gondola. I did both last summer. I stayed at the KOA near Whiteface Mountain.

Lake Placid is a nice area to visit. Have a good trip.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Advice for adirondaks?

I was riding up around the Lake George area about 2 weeks ago for Americade. Lots of stuff to see. Route 9n in any direction is beautiful. Ride over to Great Lake Sacandaga and go to the Old Trail Inn for grub. Excellent.