Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: the new bike

Another possibility

You might want to catch a ride on the R1200R. It is the most underrated bike in the BMW stable, and capable of cruising (think RT-Lite as is carries the same luggage) and is very light and easy to drive in city traffic. It has the capability of embarrassing a lot of sport-bike riders and is very, very easy to work on.

My running evaluation from day one is here:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...ghlight=r1200r

The RR Forum with most activity is here:

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Do a search on "Chitown" and see what he does with his RR. It thinks it is a GS!

Pay particular attention to my signature line. You have been warned !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

RT for me

I am 5' 10" with a 29" inseam. New to me 2004 1150RT. I have the stock seat but have cut down the adjustment posts on front of seat. I can just flat foot the bike. My first BMW. I am 61 and loving it. I think the RT was the correct choice for me.

freedomtrail
    I rode the RT for 3 years. Great bike. Smooth ride. Everything you would expect and them some. even with all that, I traded for a 2009 GSA in November. Great bike. Smooth ride. Everything you would expect and them some... sound familiar?

I love the Adventure. I am 5'10" with 30" inseam. Rode it today sans panniers today. It handles like a sport bike when you need it. A workhorse when you need it. I enjoy motorcycle camping and expect it to carry all my gear comfortably on a couple of long trips this summer.

I like sitting up in the saddle ( I drive a pickup). The GSA allows this. I feel very much in control of the road through the twisties and on the highway.

Either way you win, your riding a Beemer!

I've had a 1200GS, a 1200GS Adv, and have now moved to the GT. Even though the GS Adv is really the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of motorcycling, I do my riding on the pavement, so the GT is a better fit. Besides, that engine...
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

Miller Lite pitcher, pls althotos's Avatar

RT or GT

Quote Originally Posted by deltaboy56 View Post
    ladies and gentlemen:
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a used BMW to scratch an itch and fill an otherwise empty garage. In the past I owned a K100Rt and a K1100LT and enjoyed both. This time around I'm leaning towards an RT or a GT; test rides and budget to make the final determination. Before I take the plunge, I'm wondering what opinions are out there on buying one of the later model GS bikes (1100 and newer). Some facts: 5'10" with a 31" inseam (short), plan on light touring and perhaps some dirt road use, not planning a grand global excursion (at least not yet).
    Thanks.
    Well, I know that the RT on it's lowest seat position is 31.4 inches, because I had one and I have a 29 inch inseam. I had to get the low seat, which got me down to about 30.3 inches. I believe that GS sits much higher. You should go to your local BMW showroom and sit on both bikes.
    A.J., FL -- "Boxers rule!" (Dark German beer)
    2002 R1150RS (bought in 2010 - love this bike)
    2000 R1100RT (sold in 2009 - stupid)
    1994 Honda CBR1000F (bought in 2009 - stupid)