Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Digital photo's only!!!

Bultaco Metralla

I bought this bike new in June of 1968. Had a blast racing AFM at Vaca Valley Raceway just before Sears Point opened. Note the homemade cafe seat!

At the last race of the season, I fell down, and the bike caught fire. Of course insurance doesn't cover that sort of thing, so it was the end of my budding racing career.

A few years ago, I found a basket case on eBay. I had great fun doing the restoration.
    Last edited by JohnTena; 12-13-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    John and Tena Gallagher
    '06 R1200RT
    '75 R90S
    '66 R69S

WOW what a great post!!! That brings the memories flooding back. When I was a Kid growing up in Penna., a friend of mine had a bike just like yours. His was a Bultaco Metrella MK II Road Racer. If my memory is correct the kick start was on the left side and kicked forward. It looked strange, but would out run my 1970 350 Honda. Thanks for posting....
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    WOW what a great post!!! That brings the memories flooding back. When I was a Kid growing up in Penna., a friend of mine had a bike just like yours. His was a Bultaco Metrella MK II Road Racer. If my memory is correct the kick start was on the left side and kicked forward. It looked strange, but would out run my 1970 350 Honda. Thanks for posting....
    You're close. The kick start is indeed on the left side, facing forward. But it kicks backward, in the usual way. Here:

When I was competing, the main rival was the Suzuki X6, the 250cc two-stroke twin with a 6-speed transmission. The Suzuki was tops in acceleration, but the 'taco could brake and handle much better. I have to say that those X6s were much more reliable, too.
    John and Tena Gallagher
    '06 R1200RT
    '75 R90S
    '66 R69S

My wife and I on our wedding day, October 13, 1983, on our brand new 1982 leftover Suzuki GS850L. Fortunately, I still have both (the babe, and the bike!); added 4 kids, some gray thinning hair, a mortgage, and ........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bultaco memories

In the 60s I was stationed at Wurtsmith AFB, Oscoda Michigan. I rode mostly off-road preferring the fire trails to the pavement. There was on hill on a larger fire road named Bultaco Hill by the locals.

The reason, a Bultaco was the only bike that had ever made it to the top without the rider getting off and pushing it. Me and my 305 Honda Scrambler could not even hope to make it.

My Suzuki in 1972

My brother Mike and I on my first bike. It didn't go very fast or very far but it was fun to ride to school.
    Mike and I on the Suzuki
    '75 R75/6

1974 Rickman Honda

This is the only surviving picture of my 1974 Rickman Honda that I built from scratch! I had the fairing off that day for some reason visiting a friend that took the photo.
    I had a full house Yoshimura Road Race Engine on the street with many Honda CR Racing parts.

Oh! to have that bike today although I don't fold up like that anymore!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    This is the only surviving picture of my 1974 Rickman Honda that I built from scratch! I had the fairing off that day for some reason visiting a friend that took the photo.
    I had a full house Yoshimura Road Race Engine on the street with many Honda CR Racing parts.

Oh! to have that bike today although I don't fold up like that anymore!
    You could never beat Rickman and ANY engine , they had terrific frames.
    My buddy in the picture of mine had a Montessa VR, Super Bike.
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

We got a new scanner about a year ago, and I finally screwed up the courage to try it out. It didn't fight me too much, and now we're having fun digitizing a bunch of old pictures.

Here's one taken on the Going to the Sun Highway, on a shake down run, after Dave Anderson, of Anderwerks, rebuilt and modified the engine and transmission on my RS:

I was obviously more of an optimist in those days, touring with just a tank bag.
    Last edited by rinty; 12-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Bushtec with Chair

Back about 15 years ago we went to the 4 Winds Rally in PA and found a deal on a Hand Built Rocking Chair.

No problem we can get that home to Canada!

U just never know what U'll buy at a rally. My big purchase at the Lima, Oh. MOA National was a JAWS ladder. They shipped it to me, by the way.

Me on my Honda XL 250 "Thumper" #70E, at my first Enduro. String Prairie TX, March 1978. One word describes my bike, HEAVY!
    09 R1200GS

See our Moto Photo's:http://raptor02.smugmug.com/

250 Honda Six

Back around 1977-8 I was a spectator at Mossport Raceway in Ontario Canada and they brought out the Honda 250 six cylinder for a vintage race.

To hear this bike warming up in the pitts and running at speed around the track was a sound I will never forget!

Some cool stuff guys , Keep it coming.
    Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Bob T
    Back around 1976-77 I picked up this H1 for a while...

I was struggling with a new family and it had charging issues, so I didn't have it long...
    Wish I had it now....