Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where you gonna go on the bike this year?

Left Jax, FL on Aug 21st for Shady Cove, OR. to pick up a 1991 Bushtec trailer in Super condition. Took the northern route out (I-80 across NB & WY is a haul in it self) with a few detours, and averaged close to 600 miles per day. Left Or via Rt140 and cut down thru NV to Rt 50 and then over to CO and the continental divide. Went S from CO to Toas, NM and the Las Vegas, NM. Left NM for Copperas Cove, TX to visit some friends and then back to Jax. Great trip ONLY 30 Minutes of Rain in 14 days and 6460 miles. The trailer tows like a dream and should see plenty of use in the coming years. I was lucky to have a friend in Daytona that gave me 3 NOS tires for the trailer, the Bushtec factory in TN did not have any 16x3.0 tires in stock. I hope to attend the Sunbeemers Rally in Venice, FL later this year and travel up to Indianapolis, IN with a friend before the cold sets in.
    Ride Safe

Smile A Quickie

Went to Winthrop, WA this weekend...just an over niter but a whole lot of riding...here is my short but sweet RR...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48761

CHILLY, but fine! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Paul and I worked at the Land of Enchantment 1000 this weekend. Great fun for everyone on roads all over New Mexico.

WARNING - LOTS of pictures start here:

75 more pictures are trapped inside my camera.
    More after the rider meeting at 8.

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...day/?start=all

Ira announced that the winner of this year's LOE will be the rider with
    points closest to ZERO. Minimum requirements to be a finisher are to
    ride 1000 miles and collect NINE bonuses. Not 10. Not 8.

pictures here:
    http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...ing/?start=all

The start of the LOE. All riders departed before the sun came up!
    Anticipation . . .

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...20LOE%20START/

Rest Bonus: Balloons, Trinity site, lost and then found wallet, Ira techs Paul and 10 miles of hail! All in a day's rally . . .
    7 AM tomorrow they all return.

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...nus/?start=all

Everyone is in and/or accounted for. 2/3 of the riders have been scored. Lunch at the Mansion and awards to follow . .
    So many stories!

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...0LOE%20Finish/

LOE 1000 riders and staff met at the Luna Mansion for a fabulous meal and then awards. I'll leave it to the rally master to tell you who won. Clues here . . .

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...ion/?start=all

rally co-master Ira Agins sMiling

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 10-05-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Wow, Voni! Thanks for posting those pics from New Mexico. I saw some folks I know from Utah.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Small world!

Voni
    sMiling

Yes ma'am. It's one of the great things about living on such a small planet.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Planning our next trip Summer 2011

Trip to Alaska

HellO
    Any one thinking of travel to AK, MID 2012 It would be good to have 1 or 2 bikes
    to travle with, Let me know,
    ccrites@cox.net Ks

Unabashed Bike Freak
    Hello, Everyone,

Funny, when this thread started, I was just heading from Washington State to a bike rally in North Carolina on Millie, my '79 R80/7. She is my first BMW, and I'd put her together over that winter, got about 150 miles on her rebuild, and headed east. I've been on long rides before, but usually on a Norton Commando, so the Big Blue Beemer was a real treat! I put about 6600 miles on her that summer, and then my late husband was diagnosed with cancer, and I didn't get in any riding except from home to and from the hospital last summer. He passed away in January, 2012.

I plan to deal with it in the same manner in which I've dealt with other devastating losses: Lots and lots of riding time. The women's group with whom I ride has 6 camping trips planned for this Summer, and a friend from back east is coming out on his GS, and my little Sis in Montana wants me to visit---plus I have my latest Beemer to rebuild.

Pavement Therapy is the best, and even at the present gas prices, it's cheap compared to a shrink. Oh, and since my beautiful Granddaughters enjoy it, I am putting my sidecar on the latest BMW. They like Gramma's sidecar......and at 50 mpg, it will be my new commuter, too.

So. Trips? Lots of local Washington State trips, and maybe a circle of the western USA so I can visit my brother -in-law in Colorado and my niece in Utah, and (why not?) my cousin in N.. California. Anything to see the miles roll away beneath the tires of Millie the Big Blue Beemer!

Barb

Barb, I'm sorry for your loss - that would be devastating, indeed. You do sound like a very capable person all around, and your plans for the future are exciting.

You are right - Pavement therapy is the best!

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Hard-Core

Barbara Jean - not to hijack the thread, but - Holy Cow! - You ARE the Unsinkable Molly Brown! BRAVO, to you, and I hope you still mess with old Airheads. . .if yes, then you are displaying additional Great Wisdom. The magic of sidecars is only for the few, the proud, the bats**t crazy of the tribe, and especially on bumpy, curvy roads, it's very near to the thrill of open-cockpit flying, oh, yeah.

This marvelous thread proceeds rather like a baseball game, with no clock and at its' own deliberate pace; glad you checked-in, and keep us apprised of the adventures, por favor.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

'78 R100RS Motorsport - Lucky 13
    '94 R1100RS - MoonBeamer
    '80 GL1100 Naked Goldwing w/ Watsonian & Unit Forks - Old Son

Indeed! Couldn't say it better.

And don't forget to sign up for the Mileage Contest!

Voni
    sMiling

Unabashed Bike Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    Barbara Jean - not to hijack the thread, but - Holy Cow! - You ARE the Unsinkable Molly Brown! BRAVO, to you, and I hope you still mess with old Airheads. . .if yes, then you are displaying additional Great Wisdom. The magic of sidecars is only for the few, the proud, the bats**t crazy of the tribe, and especially on bumpy, curvy roads, it's very near to the thrill of open-cockpit flying, oh, yeah.

This marvelous thread proceeds rather like a baseball game, with no clock and at its' own deliberate pace; glad you checked-in, and keep us apprised of the adventures, por favor.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

'78 R100RS Motorsport - Lucky 13
    '94 R1100RS - MoonBeamer
    '80 GL1100 Naked Goldwing w/ Watsonian & Unit Forks - Old Son
    Thanks, WE and all!

I don't know about unsinkable--perhaps the water just isn't all that deep? At any rate, yes, I'm hooked forever on Airheads--"Simple by Design!", and putting miles on them. Funny how "Sidecar" and "bats*it" seem to find their way together, isn't it? Anyway, so far this year my mileage count is under 1000 miles, but, looking at the snow outside, I don't feel very bad about it. It'll creep up there soon! And BTW, anyone "South of thee Border, Down Washington Way" who is interested in a Beemer meet-up/ride, please let me know! (Yeah, that "thee" is there on purpose.....remember the song? Right!)

Barb

Barbara, I'm sorry for your loss and echo everyone's sentiments! I hope to meet you in your travels!

For me, I've got alot planned this year.

I've been asked to teach all 3 women-only MSF courses in my county. so they can ensure consistency and determine if this should continue. My personal opinion is that they are not necessary.

We are scheduled for the MOA Getaway Weekend to Gettysburg in April.

May is undecided but there are at least 1-2 weekend adventures in the works.

July will mark my first solo trip! My hubby will be on his way to Alaska and I'm heading to the rally for some GS Giant fun.

August will mark my second solo trip as I ride from DE to the UP of Michigan to meet Matt who will be on his way home from Alaska.

September - Black Diamond Beemers rally, Color in the Catskills - both are on teh calendar.

October is our annual fall vacation but we are undecided on a direction.

WOW! LOTS OF RIDING TO BE DONE!

Barb, I'd like to add my condolences as well.

I hope to see you on your travels, I'm also riding a blue beemer, so I expect we will recognize each other immediately, right?

I don't have a lot of firm plans for riding, but we intend to relocate from Utah to Oregon, which will be a huge change socially and climatically.

We have plans to meet up with some friends near Yosemite next month for twisties therapy. We will probably run down to Torrey, Utah in May, then out to Colorado in June.

If things work out, perhaps a ride "down under" will finally become a reality.
    Sharon
    '59 R 26 (my first)