Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where you gonna go on the bike this year?

Hybrid View

Where you gonna go on the bike this year?

After rummaging through some pictures from the past few years of fun rides, I need to get serious about planning for this year.

We usually do a lot of short 1 to 3 day rides around Wyoming, Utah, Colorado.

We are planning to attend the BMWST unrally in July in the Sierra Nevada's (I'm still working on Jan about running up to Redmond), and we usually make a couple of runs down to Torrey near Capitol Reef N.P. and at least one run over to Colorado. We really don't have any other rides "planned" this year, but we could end up doing some spring riding in Nevada and Arizona if things work out.

What are your plans for riding season this year?
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    we're slackers this year....but it comes from competing needs. Vermont BMWRA looks like a 'go to' and in September we host the Salty Fog Riders Rally here in Nova Scotia. Scattered in this is the need to build a barn and finish landscaping: both at the site of the Salty Fog. Probably go to the Bluenose Rally here in NS at the beginning of July. Oh yeah, that car trip in May to Miami..... plus my new fledgling consulting business needs some attending to. Summer will be busy enough.

However, the summer of 2011 promises another 'big trip around a chunk of N America. But that's then not now. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

We will go to the Texas National Rally and Blitz to Branson in April. Then we will travel north and west, eventually attending the MOA rally in Redmond. Then more wandering in the northwest. Eventually we will go to the Bavarian Mountain Weekend rally at Sipapu in September and then come home. Otherwise, we will fill in the blanks as we go along.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Paul,
    I spent a large portion of my adult life in N. New Mexico. Went to college in Las Vegas, and worked as an electricion there for several years and did the wiring on the chair-lift at Sipapu. Before that, all they had was a rope-lift.

Mmmmm Green Chili stew & tortillas for breakfast!
    Dayum. I may have to go to that one! Chymaio Chili is absouloutly the best grown!

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    Paul,
    I spent a large portion of my adult life in N. New Mexico. Went to college in Las Vegas, and worked as an electricion there for several years and did the wiring on the chair-lift at Sipapu. Before that, all they had was a rope-lift.

Mmmmm Green Chili stew & tortillas for breakfast!
    Dayum. I may have to go to that one! Chymaio Chili is absouloutly the best grown!

We've been there most of the past 15 or so years. It is a don't-miss rally for us.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Chicken Rally-Alabama, Fairbanks Alaska, Redmond-National Rally, etc etc etc.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

June~Another variation of my annual Colorado trip to my home town of Ft. Collins, Colorado, then Aspen via the Cache la Poudre with views of the backdoor of the Never Summer Mountain Range, to Grandby and Leadville, return via the long way around through Alamosa...I want to spend a night at the great sand dunes outside of Alamosa, then head home to Ft. Collins, via south park, then peak to peak highwayfrom I-70 to Estes Park.

July~Lake Superior, clockwise direction. New terriitory past Grand Marais, MN

I really would like to leave tomorrow!

Trip to Alaska

HellO
    Any one thinking of travel to AK, MID 2012 It would be good to have 1 or 2 bikes
    to travle with, Let me know,
    ccrites@cox.net Ks

Unabashed Bike Freak
    Hello, Everyone,

Funny, when this thread started, I was just heading from Washington State to a bike rally in North Carolina on Millie, my '79 R80/7. She is my first BMW, and I'd put her together over that winter, got about 150 miles on her rebuild, and headed east. I've been on long rides before, but usually on a Norton Commando, so the Big Blue Beemer was a real treat! I put about 6600 miles on her that summer, and then my late husband was diagnosed with cancer, and I didn't get in any riding except from home to and from the hospital last summer. He passed away in January, 2012.

I plan to deal with it in the same manner in which I've dealt with other devastating losses: Lots and lots of riding time. The women's group with whom I ride has 6 camping trips planned for this Summer, and a friend from back east is coming out on his GS, and my little Sis in Montana wants me to visit---plus I have my latest Beemer to rebuild.

Pavement Therapy is the best, and even at the present gas prices, it's cheap compared to a shrink. Oh, and since my beautiful Granddaughters enjoy it, I am putting my sidecar on the latest BMW. They like Gramma's sidecar......and at 50 mpg, it will be my new commuter, too.

So. Trips? Lots of local Washington State trips, and maybe a circle of the western USA so I can visit my brother -in-law in Colorado and my niece in Utah, and (why not?) my cousin in N.. California. Anything to see the miles roll away beneath the tires of Millie the Big Blue Beemer!

Barb

Barb, I'm sorry for your loss - that would be devastating, indeed. You do sound like a very capable person all around, and your plans for the future are exciting.

You are right - Pavement therapy is the best!

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Hard-Core

Barbara Jean - not to hijack the thread, but - Holy Cow! - You ARE the Unsinkable Molly Brown! BRAVO, to you, and I hope you still mess with old Airheads. . .if yes, then you are displaying additional Great Wisdom. The magic of sidecars is only for the few, the proud, the bats**t crazy of the tribe, and especially on bumpy, curvy roads, it's very near to the thrill of open-cockpit flying, oh, yeah.

This marvelous thread proceeds rather like a baseball game, with no clock and at its' own deliberate pace; glad you checked-in, and keep us apprised of the adventures, por favor.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

'78 R100RS Motorsport - Lucky 13
    '94 R1100RS - MoonBeamer
    '80 GL1100 Naked Goldwing w/ Watsonian & Unit Forks - Old Son

Indeed! Couldn't say it better.

And don't forget to sign up for the Mileage Contest!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Unabashed Bike Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    Barbara Jean - not to hijack the thread, but - Holy Cow! - You ARE the Unsinkable Molly Brown! BRAVO, to you, and I hope you still mess with old Airheads. . .if yes, then you are displaying additional Great Wisdom. The magic of sidecars is only for the few, the proud, the bats**t crazy of the tribe, and especially on bumpy, curvy roads, it's very near to the thrill of open-cockpit flying, oh, yeah.

This marvelous thread proceeds rather like a baseball game, with no clock and at its' own deliberate pace; glad you checked-in, and keep us apprised of the adventures, por favor.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

'78 R100RS Motorsport - Lucky 13
    '94 R1100RS - MoonBeamer
    '80 GL1100 Naked Goldwing w/ Watsonian & Unit Forks - Old Son
    Thanks, WE and all!

I don't know about unsinkable--perhaps the water just isn't all that deep? At any rate, yes, I'm hooked forever on Airheads--"Simple by Design!", and putting miles on them. Funny how "Sidecar" and "bats*it" seem to find their way together, isn't it? Anyway, so far this year my mileage count is under 1000 miles, but, looking at the snow outside, I don't feel very bad about it. It'll creep up there soon! And BTW, anyone "South of thee Border, Down Washington Way" who is interested in a Beemer meet-up/ride, please let me know! (Yeah, that "thee" is there on purpose.....remember the song? Right!)

Barb

2013 bump

It's mid January...did the women get tired of the winter restless grumpyman syndrome posting?

Got tired of seeing racer7's last post on Christmas ideas...

Helen said I am following her this Spring/Summer more...she's tired of all my goofy detours! Her detours are way more interesting.

On her (mine too) list...Blitz to Branson, MOA-Salem, Canadien Rockies something , W. Coast lazy schedule trip south...it's a start...how about y'all?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Annual trip to Utah via Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada
    Minnesota / Superior loop
    North Carolina - about 7 times again
    Ohio / West Va a few times (in-laws live there)
    Might squeeze a Scotland or Ireland ride in there as well.
    wwwEaracheMotorsports.com
    http://intensitycycles.blogspot.com/