Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Boots

TorontoRider

Boot care

What's the best advice you've gotten on how to care for your Allround boots?
    Thanks,
    Adrian

Standard leather boot care. Clean, polish if needed , then leather waterproofer.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Allround Boots - more good news

I still haven't gotten around to standing in a tub of water to check whether they are really waterproof. Haven't treated the leather either. But I did make two pleasant discoveries on a 250 mile ride last Sunday.

1.) My bike has a rather annoying vibration around 5000 rpm which I especially noticed in my feet. Finally realized it was no longer there in the footpegs. What the heck? If I pressed hard on the footpegs it was back, so no mysterious change in the bike. I think the factory insoles do a lot to damp vibration.

2.) I decided to make this club "breakfast ride" considerably longer by riding a different route home which took me over a mountain pass. Not too smart, as for some reason my electric vest wasn't working and the temp dropped to just above freezing. My upper body was cold; my hands were painfully cold (gotta get some decent winter gloves and carry them but my feet were fine. This still doesn't make sense. With my previous boots, when the temp is in the low 30's, both my hands and feet suffered, even with a working electric vest.

Two more reasons to think maybe I made a good choice in boots.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to standing in a tub of water to check whether they are really waterproof.
    I have spent some time standing in a stream in my All Around boots. I was taking photos of a waterfall. I was fine until I went deep enough that the water came in over the top of the boot. They are fine riding in the rain. I like the All Arounds very much.

I also have a pair of big boots with buckles that I wear occasionally.

So, what did you end up with Jonathan?
    Last edited by rdalland; 04-28-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

I have Sidi On Roads for road trips and Sidi Discovery boots for dual sport riding. Love them both. My feet have never been wet. i just put new soles on the On Roads after five years of use.
    I get knocked down, But I get up again, You're never going to keep me down - Chumbawamba

Denver, CO - '05 R1200RT, '06 F650 GS Dakar, 2006 Yamaha WR450F

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    I will, coalminer. Thanks for the info.

Something worth considering, kgadley. I do like the fact that Aerostich has based their main riding boot design on US Army boots and even called them Combat Boots.
    I've had the Aerostich combat boots for a few years now with mixed emotions. Really like them overall, but I've got large calf muscles and the top velcro strap will barely touch it's mating surface. They never ever stay done. Leather wise they're just getting broke in.
    Beemerrick

cbck1200s
    I plan on upgrading my touring boots this Spring and am looking at the Vendramini Marathon, REV'IT! Rival, TCX X-5 and Sidi Canyon.

I've been using Prexport's 360WP for the last four years and have been extremely satisfied with their fit and feel, waterproofing and breathability. Their only downside being rather thin velcro tab closures that have, over time, become a bit dogeared.

What do you like or use and why?
    I just purchased a pair of TCX X5 Gortex boots and I love them. Sizing is a bit small so you'll have to downsize if you are buying online but the true test of a shoe or boot is if they feel good right out of the box. These boots feel better than great right out of the box.

cbcK1200S - Colin

The last poster makes an excellent point - "the boots should feel good right out of the box" - which is also the reason you should try to buy locally. Take your riding socks. Walk around with several different boots which fit your requirements. If it is comfortable in the store, it will almost certainly be comfortable on the bike.

On thinking about it, I am not enamored with "tough boots" which take years to break in, even for younger riders. Any piece of riding apparel which is uncomfortable, no matter the "protection" it offers, is a distraction. And that just might be more important than the extra protection.

When we ride, we want our gear to let us forget we are even wearing it.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    So, what did you end up with Jonathan?
    Hi Reid, I ended up working too much, riding too little and not getting around to buying boots yet however, a new pair are still in the cards (focusing now on upgrading my ride).

The last poster makes an excellent point - "the boots should feel good right out of the box" - which is also the reason you should try to buy locally. Take your riding socks. Walk around with several different boots which fit your requirements. If it is comfortable in the store, it will almost certainly be comfortable on the bike.

On thinking about it, I am not enamored with "tough boots" which take years to break in, even for younger riders. Any piece of riding apparel which is uncomfortable, no matter the "protection" it offers, is a distraction. And that just might be more important than the extra protection.

When we ride, we want our gear to let us forget we are even wearing it.
    All good points and great advice (from all your posts in this thread) BCKRIDER. Though there was no box, I felt that way when I bought my last pair of Prexports at the Vermont Rally.

+1 on the BMW All-Arounds here! Comfortable from day one and have held up well! Very pleased!

Wife has 'em also!
    Last edited by Atomicman; 05-10-2010 at 08:14 PM.

cbck1200s
    Hi Reid, I ended up working too much, riding too little and not getting around to buying boots yet however, a new pair are still in the cards (focusing now on upgrading my ride).

All good points and great advice (from all your posts in this thread) BCKRIDER. Though there was no box, I felt that way when I bought my last pair of Prexports at the Vermont Rally.
    Hey, there were TWO Riders from BC knocking around the "box" discussion. There was my learned colleague from up the Valley and myself down here near Vancouver.

cbcK1200S - Colin

Something I forgot to mention: when I was examining my old boots with separating seams, I noticed that the sole of the left boot was considerably thinner than the right. How did that happen? Like most of us, my body is fairly well balanced left to right. I also gave up skipping over 50 years ago.

Conclusion: I'm not always bringing my bike to a full stop before I put my left foot down. Maybe I should work on that. No. They just put softer material in the sole of my left boot.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Something I forgot to mention: when I was examining my old boots with separating seams, I noticed that the sole of the left boot was considerably thinner than the right. How did that happen?
    Do you dismount to the left side? Does your left foot rotate as you dismount? This might contribute to the uneven wear.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182