Thread: Mods for right arm prosthetic on R12GS

jgbass

Mods for right arm prosthetic on R12GS

Hi, I have a customer who is looking to move the front brake lever on a new GS to the left side while keeping the clutch lever intact. Anybody know someone who has made this modification for riding with a right arm prosthetic?

Thanks,

Jay-Motomarin

I've never seen a set up like this but haven't been riding long. Thinking about it though; you would need the ability to operate either the clutch or brake lever independently or both at the same time depending on what you're doing. And, of course, maintain one handed steering control. What about modifying the foot brake to operate both wheels instead of just the rear? Or maybe an additional foot brake, still on the right side? Then the left hand wouldn't have to do so much.
    Bill
    2009 R1200RT

An auto mechanic who worked here in Santa Cruz in the 70s and 80s had only a right arm. He rode a K100, and while I never saw the bike close up, nor met him, I heard that it was modified by moving the clutch from the left side to the right. His place of business is still there, but it has looked derelict and abandoned since the late 80s.
    Last edited by dbrick; 02-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Not exactly what was asked for, but along those lines....

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

Apparently it comes in twin cable, cable/hydraulic, and twin hydraulic versions.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I ride with a guy that has limited use of his right hand. He has a thumb lever on the left side, under the grip.

I believe the rear pedal runs the front brakes and the thumb the rear. I also think he has linked ABS so the foot actually runs the front and rear.

The Stunt bike crowd may be able to help. They have brake levers in different places.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

Apparently it comes in twin cable, cable/hydraulic, and twin hydraulic versions.
    Actually this might work for a front brake and hydraulic clutch if the master cylinder volume and pressure works out OK for the hydraulic clutch. And if not, I bet they could change the bore size to make it work.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    The Stunt bike crowd may be able to help. They have brake levers in different places.
    This is a good idea. Chris McNeil, the BMW-sponsored stunter (see the thread on this forum), adds a rear brake lever to the right handlebar. He just picked up his new S1000RR from the local dealer, Tri-Valley Moto in Livermore, CA. Might be worth the phone call.
    John and Tena Gallagher
    '06 R1200RT
    '75 R90S
    '66 R69S

Saw a bike at the Slimey Crud Run where everything was over on the left side of the bike, dude might have had only a left arm???
    Not sure if/where you could get a picture of it, but there are lots of Slimey Crud Run pictures on the net. It was a UJM motorcycle, nothing special except the mods.
    Would anyone in WI know who I am talking about??
    I saw it in Leland a couple years ago, 08 I think.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Here is a pic of a guy on an offroad bike yet. Let me know if you want to try to contact him, I can probably hook you up:
    http://madwrench.smugmug.com/Motorcy...91921145_cUh6e
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

I went back and read this site more carefully. It specifically says it can be configured for brake and clutch.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

jgbass

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the replies to my question. I'll pass the info along to my customer. Hopefully we can get him riding again.

Bigfun1
    The lever controls both front and rear brakes with power in proper harmony, if you treated the rear lever as a master for the input of the front you could take advantage of what BMW spent so much time pefecting. I ride a 08 GS and the hand brake is used predictably in near all conditions. I will head out and take a look to see if my first thought is close to managable.

BMWRich58
    There is or was a BMW airhead GS rider by the name of George I met several years ago at the Iowa and Dells Rally's who had only a left arm.
    I remember he said that he uses a "pull/push" double cabled throttle from a Honda 400 or 600...one of those Dual sport models,that he mounted on the left side.
    Also..
    I think for his front brake he used a "lever and perch from a compression release setup" ( those big old 4 stroke thumpers had these *two fingered levers*behind and underneath the clutch levers) in order to kick start those bikes.
    He did tho have the rear "foot pedal" brake setup as normal.