Thread: Engine Guard

Striper55

Engine Guard

I have a 2006 R1200GS and looking for the best/economical engine guard. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the Hepco Becker guards on my bike. They fit well, look good, IMHO and they allow removal of the valve cover for service without having to remove the bars. I believe most others need to be removed. If you have a shop do your valves, they may charge you for taking them off.

I dropped they bike once on a rather poor gravel, no change that to rock road, and a good clip. The left bars gave their life for the bike. I was able to replace just that side. I have put friction tape on the top of the bar that goes across the front of the motor. This way I can kick my feet up on the bars on longer rides and stretch some. The friction tape grabs onto the overpants rather well so I can actually relax and my legs won't fall off.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Striper55

Thanks

Appreciate the info!!! Ride safe!

good call on the friction tape
    Houston Mac
    '88 R100RS Saboteur
    MOA# 144652 | Airhead# 11105
    www.hhmcreative.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sit View Post
    I have the Hepco Becker guards on my bike. They fit well, look good, IMHO and they allow removal of the valve cover for service without having to remove the bars. I believe most others need to be removed. If you have a shop do your valves, they may charge you for taking them off.
    that's correct. i have HB on my 1150, and love them. they do, however, rust after being scratched, since they are not stainless steel.

for my HP2, i went with touratech, as it provides some additional protection in situations where you fall on ground with rocks sticking out of it. they also don't rust when scratched. however, they're not cheap and do have to be removed for valve maintenance. (this is a 5-minute process that somehow takes the dealer a half hour!)

you'll be fine with the HB bars. just keep some touchup paint handy.

i like that idea of the non-slip tape, too!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

After I dropped my GS and mangled the left side bars, I took them off, beat them back kinda close to shape with a small sledge hammer, shot them with some silver rust oleum and bolted them back on. Only after I had some extra money did I decided to replace the bent side.

Word or warning though, if you do dump the bike on the bars and they take a pretty good hit, I would replace all of the bolts. I did not do this and when I took off the right side several years later, first time off after drop, one of the bolts broke when I was putting the bars back on. Luckily it was not too far in and there was enough of a lip that I could tap it back out. I think the bolt was stressed enough when the bike went down, it weakened it and was just waiting to snap.

If I drop it again, I will contact HB and buy all new bolts all around.
    Last edited by Sit; 02-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Striper55

Thanks

I am a fairly new rider(around than 10K miles) and all your info helps. Thanks again.