Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help me wire my Gerbings R1150rt

  1. #1
    Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    301

    Help me wire my Gerbings R1150rt

    I just picked up a microwire liner, and have bench tested it

    I am considering these wiring options and would like your opinion:

    1) wire directly to battery, with Gerbing's Portable Temp-Controller
    2) use my existing powerlet on dash & hook to permanent controller
    3) use powerlets on on side of bike, with Gerbing's Portable Temp-Controller
    4) Mount the permanent controller on the dash and use the wiring on the controller, not the powerlet.

    I would like a clean install without a lot of wires hanging around
    Last edited by BluegrassPicker; 01-31-2010 at 07:18 PM.

  2. #2
    IBA #44567 Ken F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SW, MO
    Posts
    1,211
    I put a BMW plug on mine which I plug into the side of the bike. It is out of your way when riding, and easy to get to to disconnect when dismounting. The Temptroller fits neatly into the rear strap on my tankbag, easy to get to with gloves on.

    Since you don't really use the Gerbings a large percentage of the time riding, I wanted to find a solution which was simple, easy, and convienant to hook up.
    Worked well on my bike.

    460
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

  3. #3
    Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    I put a BMW plug on mine which I plug into the side of the bike. It is out of your way when riding, and easy to get to to disconnect when dismounting. The Temptroller fits neatly into the rear strap on my tankbag, easy to get to with gloves on.

    Since you don't really use the Gerbings a large percentage of the time riding, I wanted to find a solution which was simple, easy, and convienant to hook up.
    Worked well on my bike.

    460
    Thanks for the response. A couple questions...

    Did you have to up the fuse size to the outlet, and do you think you are losing
    any power by running via the outlet?

  4. #4
    IBA #44567 Ken F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SW, MO
    Posts
    1,211
    No, I didn't have to up the fuse size. I run a GPS & a V-1 off of the dashboard socket, and the microwire jacket liner off the side. Never had a problem. Both run off of the same fuse. (I added the powerlet on the dash)
    Mine is a 95 R11RS which is the same electrical system as yours (I think/not sure)
    If they are different, I'm sure someone will chime in and let us know.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "loosing any power". Do you mean is the Gerbing getting enough power to heat fully?
    If this is your meaning, then no. It works fine.

    460
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

  5. #5
    Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post

    I'm not sure what you mean by "loosing any power". Do you mean is the Gerbing getting enough power to heat fully?
    If this is your meaning, then no. It works fine.

    460
    yes, thats what I meant. Thanks...

  6. #6
    Just me rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    825
    My 02' 1150RT

    Controller; mounted with led in the removable plate in the dash


    Jacket connection; seen here with the body panel removed. It can't be seen at all with the panel in place.
    Last edited by Rad; 02-01-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling is haaard....

  7. #7
    Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    My 02' 1150RT

    Controller; mounted with led in the removable plate in the dash


    Jacket connection; seen here with the body panel removed. It can't be seen at all with the panel in place.
    Nice set up. and photos.

    Do you run the wire to the jacket connection on top of your left leg, or sit on it?

    I know I'm beating this to death, but I've got until spring!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    190
    Over the years I've just let the connecting wire drape over the side of my leg/thigh. Never been an isssue. Do not see any reason to sit on it.
    Mark S.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,123
    For the slickest controller setup see the Warm N Safe Dual REMOTE Heat
    Troller - one of their Gen 4 products. Puts a smaller receiver on your jacket than the clunky Gerbings device and allows mounting the very small control box anywhere you wantr it with a little bit of velcro. No wiring the bike and easily portable for one bike to another.

    Dual is so you control gloves and jacket separately, typically needed on an RT.

    If you stock outlet runs your gear (I think it will, not like the 5 A limit on the early R1200RT), I suggest just plugging into it. If you want to add, it is easiest go go direct to battery.

  10. #10
    Just me rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassPicker View Post
    Nice set up. and photos.

    Do you run the wire to the jacket connection on top of your left leg, or sit on it?

    I know I'm beating this to death, but I've got until spring!
    I use a coil chord, with a clip on it that is attached to the side of my pants. I run the chord over my leg, not under it. I attach the clip to my pants pocket on my BMW pants and it holds the chord in place, no flapping, as it goes over my leg, behind me, and connects to the bike.

    The coil chord and tiny clip came from Aerostich.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •