Thread: Upcoming Trip through ID

Upcoming Trip through ID

Planning a trip from Colorado through Idaho (Hell's Canyon) into Washington (Columbia River area) before dropping into Redmond for the rally. Looking for advice on good roads and scenic areas (non-tourist traps). You all know what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Caddy:

Like your home state, there are so many good roads and so much good scenery in that area, that it would take months to explore them all, but here are a few:

Lolo Pass (Lewiston to Missoula on 12)
    Cascade Loop in Washington (20 and 2)
    Lewiston to Halfway, via Joseph (129 in Wa, 3 in Or)
    Pendleton to Mt. Vernon (395 Or)
    Stanley to Missoula (Hwy 93)
    Sawtooth Nat'l Recreation area, (75 and 12) Idaho

Also, just north of the border you have the Kootenays, one of Canada's premier riding areas (Nelson, Nakusp, Kaslo, New Denver)

Have fun; you're in for a treat.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Peggy
    If you're headed up through hells canyon & going through Lewiston Id, Clakston Wa you can take hwy 12 west and continue on 12 or if you want to zig zag through the Palouse ( rolling hills) cut off on meadow creek road (actually I think the sign says gould city) you'd take a right and just bear left at the 2 Y's you encounter this takes you to SR 127 go north to Hwy 26 and then there are tons of back road options to zig zag through. Look at a map (oh yes I said map) most of the black line roads are named for the towns they connect. Tons of good riding in the polouse without too much hwy. I'll be at the Dusty country store until THursday of that eek then I'll head out. (that's were I work) Maybe we'll see you there!

Oh ya -- anyone riding this area or any of the farm country back roads watch out for the farm equipment the way the weather is right now harvest may be in full swing by then.

Another endorsement for Lolo Pass. Stop at the Lochsa Lodge for a meal and some nice views. As mentioned above, Washington 129/Oregon 3 is definitely one to check out. You'll find a nice description with photos and map here http://www.roadsnw.com/rnw/75. You could also connect with Hell's Canyon Dam Rd, AKA the Devil's Tail.

Appreciate the comments and the link to the NW Motorcycle Roads. This should be a great help.

And here's another link for you:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42657
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."