Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I read it and understood it the same way Bud did. maybe we're just getting old...
    I'm getting old Kenny but you are not. You have got to start hanging out with a younger crowd so you don't end up that way as well.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

now here's something for all your great minds to ponder over. my front end on my RT felt weak. I figgered it wouldn't be long before I had to spring (no pun intended) for new shocks. then I noticed oil on my left fork tube. (seal leaking) I pulled the front end apart and replaced the seals in both forks. I also replaced the fork oil.... but I put 15w in instead of the 10w that was put in at the factory. The front end feels like new again. great rebound and great dampening. I doubt this front end had ever been apart since it was built in 1999. moral of this story... change your fork oil every couple of years....
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

now here's something for all your great minds to ponder over. my front end on my RT felt weak. I figgered it wouldn't be long before I had to spring (no pun intended) for new shocks. then I noticed oil on my left fork tube. (seal leaking) I pulled the front end apart and replaced the seals in both forks. I also replaced the fork oil.... but I put 15w in instead of the 10w that was put in at the factory. The front end feels like new again. great rebound and great dampening. I doubt this front end had ever been apart since it was built in 1999. moral of this story... change your fork oil every couple of years....
    that's surprising to hear, as i am sure you're aware that the oil in the fork tubes on a Telelever front end is there purely for lubrication purposes; all suspension duties are handled by the shock.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

didn't know that, but it makes sense because there wasn't any springs in there. but it does ride better...
    AKA SNAPGADGET

I thought the forks still controlled compression and rebound damping. No?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Yes

are you sure of that? i haven't looked at a 12RT closely (still loving my '01 dinosaur oilhead), but the parts fiche has the front end looking pretty much like an earlier oilhead front end. which means- the shock absorber/spring is the only thing handling any of the tasks of suspension.
    is the R12 front end built considerably differently from the R1XXX series bikes?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

No, I'm not sure. Maybe that is why a front shock is so expensive?

nah, shocks are so expensive because they are.
    price shocks for any bike- they're costly.

Website says it's a Telelever front end on the R12RT. that means the only job of the forks is to connect the front wheel (and sundry associated) to the handlebars to allow you to steer the bike. So, for all intents and purposes- I'm allowing for some minimal interrelationship with other parts here- ALL suspension duty up front is handled by the shock.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

No. That's what the shock does. The forks only locate the front wheel.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I've got about 10K on the Ohlins on the RT. It transformed that bike into a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.

Had them on my R11S. The S came with BMW's performance shocks; the ones that were a bit taller than the standard ones. The shocks were harsh and shot me out of the seat on sharp bumps. Ohlins eliminated that and got the chassis under control.

Had them on the R11RS. Amazing control of the chassis; the bike felt like you were moving in a straight line and the bike was reaching down to the ground.

I've got an Ohlins on my 98 VFR800. It highlights how crappy the front end is and has made me want to inspire RaceTech stuff up there for 9 years. I'll do it eventually because the rear is that good.

The GS is getting due for shocks at 20K. It'll get Ohlins. I've never had a failure. The ability to get a spring on it that allows me to get the static sag set perfectly, even with two of us and our gear, allows for far more precise handling, comfortable ride and greater chassis control. My ten years of using Ohlins shows that Ohlins equipment is reliable.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

No.

ALL the control functions (damping, support via spring) is done with the shock. The fork legs are there to hold the front wheel in place, and really not for much else. There is nothing in them. NADA. Zilch. Some oil so they slide nicely.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    No.

ALL the control functions (damping, support via spring) is done with the shock. The fork legs are there to hold the front wheel in place, and really not for much else. There is nothing in them. NADA. Zilch. Some oil so they slide nicely.
    Yes, but the weight and amount of oil should affect the dampining...right or wrong
    AKA SNAPGADGET

Yes, but the weight and amount of oil should affect the dampining...right or wrong

The only purpose for oil in the telelever sliders is for lubrication. There is zero damping (ignore friction).

for all intents and purposes, "wrong".

and fwiw- the term is "damping", not "dampening" or "dampining".
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots