Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ohlins Shocks

I'm glad to learn this for two reasons:

1) I don't have to take them apart and change the oil. I hate working on forks. I hate changing fork oil.

2) I didn't learn this AFTER taking the forks apart because it has been on my to do list!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

mteitler
    Was this thread about shocks or english?

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I've got about 10K on the Ohlins on the RT. It transformed that bike into a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.

Had them on my R11S. The S came with BMW's performance shocks; the ones that were a bit taller than the standard ones. The shocks were harsh and shot me out of the seat on sharp bumps. Ohlins eliminated that and got the chassis under control.

Had them on the R11RS. Amazing control of the chassis; the bike felt like you were moving in a straight line and the bike was reaching down to the ground.

I've got an Ohlins on my 98 VFR800. It highlights how crappy the front end is and has made me want to inspire RaceTech stuff up there for 9 years. I'll do it eventually because the rear is that good.

The GS is getting due for shocks at 20K. It'll get Ohlins. I've never had a failure. The ability to get a spring on it that allows me to get the static sag set perfectly, even with two of us and our gear, allows for far more precise handling, comfortable ride and greater chassis control. My ten years of using Ohlins shows that Ohlins equipment is reliable.
    There's know doubt that their great shocks and it's an improvement in how the bike handles that's not why I started this thread . Do you do the required maintenance as I mentioned earlier as per Ohlins requirements? Do you feel it's necessary or do you think it's overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    There's know doubt that their great shocks and it's an improvement in how the bike handles that's not why I started this thread . Do you do the required maintenance as I mentioned earlier as per Ohlins requirements? Do you feel it's necessary or do you think it's overkill?

you've gotten answers on that in posts #s 3 & 4.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I'd wait until they start leaking, they stop damping or other issues before I had them rebuilt.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I'd wait until they start leaking, they stop damping or other issues before I had them rebuilt.
    why would you make that choice Dave?

jsut like stock shocks, high-end units begin to degrade and lose performance long before they begin to leak (if they ever do) or fail in some other manner.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    why would you make that choice Dave?

jsut like stock shocks, high-end units begin to degrade and lose performance long before they begin to leak (if they ever do) or fail in some other manner.
    I'd notice the lack of damping, I think. That's when the stock shocks get booted; when they stop damping.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I'd notice the lack of damping, I think. That's when the stock shocks get booted; when they stop damping.

i think we're saying about the same thing, but calling it by different nomenclature. you call it "stop damping", i call it "performance decresed". i can feel that the damping is not what it was, but it is still happening.
    for me, on an Ohlins/Wilbers combo, that seems around 25-30K. Not far off what Ohlins is calling for.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i can feel that the damping is not what it was, but it is still happening.
    That's what the clicker adjustment is for.

At about 24K I could feel my damping wasn't the same as when new. What I could do is re-adust the damping it to get it back to what I like. At 30-something K to do the same would have used most of the available remaining adjustment... That time I had the shock re-built.

The rebuild was after about 3 years of use. I can live with that.

I had Ohlins installed on my R12RT at the rally in Tennessee last July (to replace the ESA struts). The Ohlins owner's manual states the recommended service interval (for regular street use) as every 30,000 km (18,600 miles). Now, do I plan to do it at 30,000 kms, probably not (unless I notice a significant decrease in performance)?
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT