Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R1200RT Low Suspension Seat

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Has anyone tried the Corbin "low seat"...how would it be on a low suspension model?
    I ordered one yesterday for my '09 low suspension RT. Will post after I receive it and try it out.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

RICMAU9
    Beemeup-What is your inseam- I usually wear boots on my 03 with a Sargent. Also is it a two or one piece seat- if two did you have to put in brackets as Sargent requires.

Seat

I have a 29 inch inseam. The seat is the one piece design that is the seat that comes with the low suspension, low seat model. My Russell is built on that seat pan.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    Hi, I have a standard suspension model with a low seat. I ordered, and just received a Kontour seat. I have not taken it out of the box yet. But I plan to today and take it for a spin. I initiated a post, earlier on in this forum, on custom seats - Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russel vs Others - you may want to read all of the comments there.

I too am inseam challenged for these tall bikes.

Neil
    Neil,

What's your impression of the KonTour seat? The polar mesh material looks comfortable but how is the support? Is there a great degree of difference from the OEM low seat?

TIA
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    Nancy,
    How tall are you, if I may ask? My wife just ordered her 2010 RT with the low suspension/low seat combo...she's 5'6".
    I'm 5'5" with about a 30 inch inseam.

the_snake1201
    Bumping this for updates, if any. I have a 2011 RT with a low seat/low suspension. With a 29" inseam, I want to keep the same height as stock (29.5"), but gain some comfort. Has anyone modified the one-piece low seat with any success? After 225 miles today, my bum is numb!

TIA,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by the_snake1201 View Post
    Bumping this for updates, if any. I have a 2011 RT with a low seat/low suspension. With a 29" inseam, I want to keep the same height as stock (29.5"), but gain some comfort. Has anyone modified the one-piece low seat with any success? After 225 miles today, my bum is numb!

TIA,
    Ken
    Have you tried the beads yet? https://www.beadrider.com/shop/ I've been using them for years on my RT. Also good on hot days and when it rains.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

the_snake1201
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Have you tried the beads yet? https://www.beadrider.com/shop/ I've been using them for years on my RT. Also good on hot days and when it rains.
    No, but I know a few folks who swear by them. I'm afraid to do anything that will add any height to the seat...

Thumbs up Russell Sport Seat

I went with a Russell Sport Seat. Had them shave some thickness off of the "nose" of the seat (where it mates with the tank). Initially when I installed the seat, it was a little tall, but it's settled in and I'm right back at stock height. It took about 1000 miles to break in.

I'm sending it back in this winter for a few adjustments. One is to move the "pan" (where your hiney actually sets), back about 1/2 inch and ask them to add a little more padding to the front of the pan. My current seat gives me a slight forward lean and I'd like to set back a little more. However, that might be due to the way the nose of the seat is thinned down.

I'm also considering adding a backrest to the seat. The part of the Russell seat where the drivers seat transitions to the passengers would offer some back rest area, but for me it leans away from the drivers area too far for me to use it as such.

I'm a short fella (5'5", 28.5 - 29 in inseam) and with the Russell Sport Seat, I'm still on the balls of my feet, but I'm learned to come off the seat when stopping at an intersection and planning well when finding a parking spot! But it's more than worth it on the road. Those "wings" offer great support for long miles. And they don't cause any problems when stopping/starting. I'd also give some thought about the color/pattern you'll go with. My seat builder recommended the small diamond pattern for maximum airflow and so far it seems to be working well. I went with the Medium Grey and it compliments my Ostra Grey RT.

Be sure to call and talk to your builder by phone. Don't rely on e-mails.
    C
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Has anyone tried the Corbin "low seat"...how would it be on a low suspension model?
    I put the Corbin low seat on my low suspension bike this summer. It's about the same height as the stoke seat (still on my tippy toes) but comfort wise it's fine. I put about 20K on it this summer, including back to back to back 1000 mile days. No butt issues for me.

Tonk
    I have a one-piece Corbin and it works fine, although I haven't spent more than a cuple hours at a time on it. I have maybe a thousand miles on it, and supposedly it takes a couple thousand to really break it in. Can't use the heater with it.

I also use the beads on a Beemer low seat. That works pretty well too. That lets me use the heat, but the beads defeat it.

I need to put in a few long days to know what works best. So far I prefer the Corbin.

the_snake1201
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I went with a Russell Sport Seat. Had them shave some thickness off of the "nose" of the seat (where it mates with the tank). Initially when I installed the seat, it was a little tall, but it's settled in and I'm right back at stock height. It took about 1000 miles to break in.

I'm sending it back in this winter for a few adjustments. One is to move the "pan" (where your hiney actually sets), back about 1/2 inch and ask them to add a little more padding to the front of the pan. My current seat gives me a slight forward lean and I'd like to set back a little more. However, that might be due to the way the nose of the seat is thinned down.

I'm also considering adding a backrest to the seat. The part of the Russell seat where the drivers seat transitions to the passengers would offer some back rest area, but for me it leans away from the drivers area too far for me to use it as such.

I'm a short fella (5'5", 28.5 - 29 in inseam) and with the Russell Sport Seat, I'm still on the balls of my feet, but I'm learned to come off the seat when stopping at an intersection and planning well when finding a parking spot! But it's more than worth it on the road. Those "wings" offer great support for long miles. And they don't cause any problems when stopping/starting. I'd also give some thought about the color/pattern you'll go with. My seat builder recommended the small diamond pattern for maximum airflow and so far it seems to be working well. I went with the Medium Grey and it compliments my Ostra Grey RT.

Be sure to call and talk to your builder by phone. Don't rely on e-mails.
    C
    I never saw this sport option on their site before...great alternative. Do you think you can add a backrest with the plastic seat pan?

Quote Originally Posted by the_snake1201 View Post
    I never saw this sport option on their site before...great alternative. Do you think you can add a backrest with the plastic seat pan?
    Here's more info on the Russell Sport Seat: http://www.day-long.com/new_pages/SportSeats.html

According to Russell, they can add the backrest to my Sport Seat. But now that you've mentioned it, I think I'll give them a call and find out how they do it. That's the good thing about Russell, they're easy to contact and get information from.

Good luck,

C
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Sargent Seat

I have a Sargent two piece low seat, for sale. No heat. It was custom made with black perforated leather with a gore tex liner underneath. I liked the seat, my passenger did not. It was about $600, I'll sell it for $300. It only has a few hours on it and looks brand new. I can send pictures.

Regards, Don

the_snake1201
    Quote Originally Posted by donmcdevitt View Post
    I have a Sargent two piece low seat, for sale. No heat. It was custom made with black perforated leather with a gore tex liner underneath. I liked the seat, my passenger did not. It was about $600, I'll sell it for $300. It only has a few hours on it and looks brand new. I can send pictures.

Regards, Don
    Do you know if it will work with my bike, which has the one-piece low seat? (Sorry, still a noobe!)