Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Motorcycle Helmet Survey

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Latest edition of MCN rates flip-faced lids. My Shoei Multitech didn't fare so well. Looks like I'll be replacing it with a HJC Sy-Max 2, which was the highest rated lid and sounds like a great helmet!
    To me it's all about comfort. As long as it's Snell and DOT rated.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Arai XD

Took a major smack on the side and busted off the front chin vent molding, so there must have some frontal impact, too.

I went to this helmet after making the decision not to wear flip-ups anymore.

While it really didn't look like the EPS foam was crushed at all, i didn't want to take chances, so i replaced it with the same model.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    To me it's all about comfort. As long as it's Snell and DOT rated.
    You'll NEVER see Snell approve a flip-face helmet. They say the latching mechanism and hinge assembly makes the helmet inherently unsafe.

I prefer the convenience of a flip-faced helmet too much to trade it in on a rigid full-faced helmet.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

But Arai makes a Classic helmet that is open face that is Snell approved.

I think it is that they have not established any standards for a flip-up.

I did some research on Snell's website. The only mention I find is from 2001 where they say there are no Snell approved flip helmets because no manufacturers have submitted any for testing.

I can't believe that's still the case nine years later, but that's what Snell's website says.

The Arai "Classic" is an open-face helmet - not a flip-face helmet. Perhaps Snell's issue is that you know what you're getting with an open-faced helmet (no front impact protection) but riders using a flip-faced helmet expect the same level of protection as that provided by a conventional full-faced helmet.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

You'll NEVER see Snell approve a flip-face helmet. They say the latching mechanism and hinge assembly makes the helmet inherently unsafe.
    I don't know who "they" are but "they" are incorrect. There is already a Snell 2005 approved flip up, the Zeus 3000. Might not be Snell approved in all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I don't know who "they" are but "they" are incorrect. There is already a Snell 2005 approved flip up, the Zeus 3000. Might not be Snell approved in all sizes.
    Never heard of Zeus before. A web search turns up mighty few shopping options, and most of 'em are eBay. Seems they don't have much of a presence in the U.S. Their website is barely in English, and doesn't list any U.S. dealers. The Korean and Chinese manufacturers have much better marketing departments than does Zeus!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

A web search turns up mighty few shopping options, and most of 'em are eBay. Seems they don't have much of a presence in the U.S. Their website is barely in English, and doesn't list any U.S. dealers. The Korean and Chinese manufacturers have much better marketing departments than does Zeus!
    All true. It doesn't negate the fact that a Snell approved modular helmet exists, contrary to popular belief. Assuming the manufacturer isn't lying.

On The Road Again

'87 Crash on '73 Shovelhead (H-D)

I was riding down my rather long driveway thinking what a nice day it was for the end of November (upstate NY). It was cold but I had long johns under Levis and leather chaps. As I approached the road I gave a quick look to the right and then to the left. My brain gave the all clear and without coming to a stop, I rolled into the lane I had to cross to make the left turn. Much to my chagrin, there to my immediate left was a 70s vintage Chrysler (no plastic/all steel). I immediately went into a fetal position. Shift lever pierced arch of left foot, left knee caved in gas tank, fractured femur above knee, tore medial lateral ligaments. Went airborne. Was wearing half shell that came off on impact, hit pavement with head. Had scuff mark on the top of my head down to the skull. If I weren't Polish, I wouldn't be here today. Also fractured L4, broke left clavicle and totaled the bike. Current ride is an '86 K100RS and helmet is a Nolan N90.