Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Helmet Survey

Dale Rudolph

Question Just Curious

As I type this,308 people have viewed this thread and 12 have told of their
    experience with a motorcycle accident. Even taking into account that many of those 308 may have viewed this more than once, It leaves me with three
    possible reasons for such a low number of reported accidents.
    1.... Bmw riders are extreamly lucky.
    2.... many of the 308 have had an accident and do not respond.
    3.... The majority of people who have had an accident have decided not to ride
    again and are no longer viewing a forum on a motocycle website.
    Or maybe it is correct that only about 2 or 3 percent of motorcycle riders
    have an accident in their lifetime. Any comments?

ziegelreiter
    I was at Santa Rosa BMW when a guy came in with a Nolan 103. The chin guard was scratched up pretty bad, but the guy said he went down at about 60 mph and it held together.
    I bought one. I like the way it's easy to wear with glasses, but the exterior dark visor whistles when it's raised even with ear plugs, and it's annoying.
    I'm thinking about replacing it, maybe with the new Scorpion EXO-900.

Dale Rudolph

Ziegelreiter:

The nolan helmet that has the external sun visor is the 102 and it can be removed. The 103 has an internal sun visor, I'm not sure if it can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    experience with a motorcycle accident. Even taking into account that many of those 308 may have viewed this more than once, It leaves me with three
    I didn't respond because my last accident was in 1982 and I don't remember what kind of Helmet I was wearing. I now wear a Shoei RF 1000 and my wife wears a Scorpion EXO-700.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

It leaves me with three
    4... their helmet never hit the ground (or anything else) as part of their accident(s).

Not including the number of times I've dropped my bikes (countless) the closest I've been to an accident the last 10 or 15 years have been simple low sides. My helmet has yet to hit the ground (with me in it). Worst I've had to do was get some tears in riding gear patched.

Or maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

5. Bad joo-joo vibes of talking about incidents also

Many years...many youthful mistakes from age 16 wearing a Bell 3/4 heavy helmet...went down a few times on oyster shell roads being stupid on a small bike...didn't replace that scratched up helmet until the rubber finally gave up around age 19 for me. It had many battlescars.

Forward to 1977 and wearing a HD/Fulmer 3/4 when I was rear ended by a hungover make-up applying school mom while crossing a esplanade. I was knocked into the traffic coming from the right and bounced off my shoulder and back of my head. The helmet cracked but I drove back home with only a headache...20 and bulletproof?

Wore the barely legal beanies for about a year when I still had a HD...felt unprotected and looked a little silly in my opinion...went back to 3/4 until I switched brands.
    Still have some 3/4 helmets that I tried in the summer a few years back...never will wear them again.

Last biggie was my deer induced wreck last Fall close to 50 MPH ...Nolan 102. Severe gouges in chinbar and right below top vent as the brunt of my stop was my helmet and shoulder hitting the rocky ground after going over the bars, it stayed latched as advertised but the visor was torn away... I replaced it with another 102
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

7:30 in the morning going to work, t-boned a 100 lb dog while going 45mph on a VFR. Bike went airborne and I followed, upon return to earth, Shoei RF bounced several times and then slid 20 feet across the asphalt before I came to a stop in the dirt. Walked away bruised and sore, bought a new Shoei since the old one was trashed.

...possible reasons for such a low number of reported accidents.

BMW riders are extremely lucky.

Any comments?
    Luck has very little to do with staying out of accidents.

Judgement and decision making skills has everything to do with staying out of them which is why I've been accident-free for 35 years...on 2 and 4 wheels.

Now I have you wondering.

Dale Rudolph
    I am 59 now, had a driver's licence since I was 16. I've got about 250 miles
    on 4 wheels for every 1 mile on a bike, but I too have never had an accident.
    In all those years, I would think that there must have been many times
    where if I had left the house a few minuets later or earlier, I could have been
    in an accident. I think that no matter how careful you are, there is always a
    little bit of luck involved. There are just too many people out there that are
    not paying attention to what they are doing. You get as much training as you
    can, use all the experience you have learned over the years, wear high
    visability clothes, don't take chances, but you need some luck also. It has been
    reported that motorcycle officers with their red and blue lights on, sirens going,
    have been hit by people who say they didn't see the bike. Those officers have
    about the best training you can get, but on that day, they were just unlucky to
    be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Your having a lot of views because your post is titled "Motorcycle Helmet Survey"
    I clicked on it as I was curious as to what type of helmets people prefer not how they did in an accident. I must say I find some of the postings fascinating. Why someone would buy a helmet that's listed "for novelty use only" pretty much leaves me at a lost for words.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    Your having a lot of views because your post is titled "Motorcycle Helmet Survey"
    I clicked on it as I was curious as to what type of helmets people prefer not how they did in an accident. I must say I find some of the postings fascinating. Why someone would buy a helmet that's listed "for novelty use only" pretty much leaves me at a lost for words.
    Those are the same people who would ride without one...

A client of mine was riding near Las Vegas, fell asleep, and ran into the back of a car. He was wearing an open face helmet, and his nose was almost severed from his face.

Luckily, he had travel medical insurance, and they airlifted him to a hospital, where his nose was sewed back on. It looks fine now.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Dale Rudolph
    The reply's are very interesting. How about we change the subject alittle to
    "Tell us about a motorcycle accident you were involved in or witnessed regardless
    of what helmet you were wearing or if you wern't wearing one. Perhaps we can
    learn something from those reply's.

Dale Rudolph
    The reply's are very interesting. How about we change the subject alittle to
    "Tell us about a motorcycle accident you were involved in or witnessed regardless
    of what helmet you were wearing or if you wern't wearing one." Perhaps we can
    learn something from those reply's.

In 1989 I went down on a borrowed early 80s Kawasaki 440 LTD. I went into a fairly sharp left bend on a country road where, in the middle of the turn, the road went from pavement to gravel. My speed was fine for turning on the pavement, but too hot for the gravel. Its my own damn fault because trees blinded me to the second half of the turn and I didn't know the road, so I should have throttled back a bit. Anyway, the bike went out from under me and I went down. My head whacked the gravel and I slid and rolled for 30 yards or so. I lost a lot of skin on my left side, was sore as hell for a few days, but I was otherwise fine. The helmet saved me from a serious head injury and certain facial reconstruction surgery. I can still "see" that gravel flying past my shield when I was face down and sliding. There is no doubt that my face would've been ground to a pulp.

I was wearing an early 80s Bell full face helmet that I'd owned for years. The back of the helmet was cracked where it whacked the gravel. The paint and face shield were terribly scuffed up. I wish I'd have kept it as a conversation piece. I didn't immediatly replace it since I'd just sold my motorcycle before heading to law school. When I got out of law school I bought my first Shoei: a white RF200. I remain a Shoei guy to this day.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847