Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The RA rally Location 2010

Talking Attendance guess??????

let's start an attendance best-guess!!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Quote Originally Posted by lyman50 View Post
    The Hoosick River borders the RA Rally site and has a nice population of trout. Why not pack a little fly rod and try your luck? There's usually an evening 'rise' and a hatch of Pale Evening Duns. A small 'Blue/Green', 'White Miller', hopper imitation, black ant or parachute caddis on 6X tippet would be good bets.
    Hmmm, now that will really make me consider the RA Rally!
    Dan

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    And consider the Gray Ghost Inn

Full Vermont breakfast cooked to order and served with a smile is always included. We pride ourselves on using only locally sourced eggs, Vermont maple syrup, organic sausages and bacon which is dry cured and smoked in Vermont. By buying local products we are trying to do our part to ensure great tasting breakfast and a healthy Vermont economy.
    The innkeeper, Magnus Thorsson, is from Iceland and specializes in guiding fly fishermen and motorcycle groups.

For more information about the Gray Ghost Inn, click here.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 01-31-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Don't forget to fish the Battenkill, many many good reports of fly fishing on that stream too!

Bristol, Vermont - Gateway to The Green Mountains
    Orvis is not that far away.
    And The Museum too

I've often thought that fly fishing and motorcycling would go well together.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Am going to the rally site this after to photograph motorcycle racing - on the ice!

Quote Originally Posted by mike cousino View Post
    And The Museum too

A celebration of
    all things angler...
    dedicated to preserving the rich heritage of fly fishing

Established in 1968 in Manchester, Vermont, by a group of interested anglers, the American Museum of Fly Fishing was created to preserve and exhibit the treasures of American angling.

Today, the museum serves as a repository for, and conservator to, the world's largest collection of angling and angling-related items, numbering in the thousands. Our collections and exhibits thoroughly document the evolution of fly fishing as a sport, art form, craft, and industry in the U.S. and abroad, dating as far back as the 16th century. Rods, reels, flies, tackle, art, photographs, manuscripts, and books form the major portions of the Museum’s collections.

The museum, a nationally accredited, nonprofit, educational institution, supports a publications program where books, catalogs, prints, art, and a national quarterly journal, The American Fly Fisher, are made available to the public.
    Visitors to the museum may access in-house exhibits, related interpretive programming and research services year-round. Members of the museum help support the museum and its initiatives through membership dues and active involvement.
    American Museum of Fly Fishing
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 03-14-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    Do you suppose that there will be a planned ride between the rallies ALA last year?
    Definitely!

The commendation is in the works. It will involve a ride from Oregon to Vermont - no time requirement and a visit to some BMW dealers and a rally along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by lyman50 View Post

The Hoosick River borders the RA Rally site and has a nice population of trout. Why not pack a little fly rod and try your luck? There's usually an evening 'rise' and a hatch of Pale Evening Duns. A small 'Blue/Green', 'White Miller', hopper imitation, black ant or parachute caddis on 6X tippet would be good bets.
    Now that truly is the perfect rally location. I'll have my five weight and three weight at the ready!

Quote Originally Posted by mike cousino View Post
    And The Museum too

Mike
    It's how I flyfish most of the time. Most of the area's I fish are also great riding areas. If the fishing isn't up to your expectations ( in other words it sucked), you just pack up and go for a nice ride taking the long way home. It's a win, win situation.

Now I really gotta work on that bamboo rod... and bring some tying stuff along.

Okay, so it's an hour from home.

Can anyone give me some Motel info for the RA Rally? thanks Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Fishing the "Kill"

Quote Originally Posted by enfoman View Post
    Don't forget to fish the Battenkill, many many good reports of fly fishing on that stream too!

Caddis Fly

The Battenkill is notoriously difficult. That isn't to say there aren't some big fish in it, there are, but they're super selective and they've seen everything in the Orvis catalogue since 1856! That time of year the water's low and slow in the Kill, a splashy presentation is enough to put the pool down for the rest of the night...in fact night fishing is ususally the most productive. (I once hooked a bat on a flying ant imitation fishing at midnight down on the 'Jungle' stretch south of Manchester!) The mayfly hatches have largely been replaced by caddis flies due to a lot of siltatation. The Hendrickson hatch and spinner fall is the best hatch but it's in May. If you want to fish the Kill, I'd recommend the Trophy stretch just over the NY border in Shushan. Actually, The Wallomsac in No. Bennington is also productive for browns and rainbows and closer to the rally site. Also, the Mettowee in between Dorset and Pawlet, VT holds a good population of rainbows,
    too. They're small, but eager, which is more than I can say about the Battenkill.

Rainbow Trout
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 02-01-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Can anyone give me some Motel info for the RA Rally? thanks Kenny...
    Here are a couple of links:

Pownal #1

Pownal #2

Be sure to check out the Bennington, Vermont and Williamstown, MA since both are just a few minutes from the site.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 02-01-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    Now that truly is the perfect rally location. I'll have my five weight and three weight at the ready!
    It will truly be possible to pitch your tent, sit in a chair with your favorite brew and fish the Hoosic River.

Once the same river flows into New York it becomes the Hoosick River. No idea why the k is added.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.