Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Yoke Compass?

SNC1923

Top Yoke Compass?

I've seen a thermometer (made by Wunderlich?) for the top yoke of a BMW motorcycle. I have a pretty good idea what the ambient temperature is, but I sometimes want a slightly more accurate idea of which direction I'm heading than using the sun. . . .

Has anyone seen a compass that can be mounted in the hole in the top yoke of an RT?

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    As a general rule, most compasses (compi?) don't like to work too well when in close proximity to a few hundred pounds of metal, not to mention being attached to them. Head to your local REI and buy yourself a basic hikers compass and toss it in your bag. Other good trick that I use when Mtn biking is to just wear it around your neck on the lanyard.. pull it and the map out when you need to do a location check.

RW

You'll find a few compasses at http://www.riderwearhouse.com 'though I doubt any mount as you describe.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

rocketman
    As long as you remain upright (or at least mostly) and are traveling Forward then you're headed in the right direction!
    What else is there to know?
    RM

Rocketman,

Thanks for a laugh, it's this lighter side of the forum that
    I enjoy so much.

Gerald

USERNAME
    why use a compass when a big fancy GPS with auto-routing will do the same job for hundreds more? im confused, youre missing a huge gadget opportunity here!

Right Wing Conspirator Grey_Matter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by username
    why use a compass when a big fancy GPS with auto-routing will do the same job for hundreds more? im confused, youre missing a huge gadget opportunity here!
    Right & don't get one of those $200.00 jobs go for the $1,500.00 job. That is the ticket I am tellin ya...

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by username
    I thought a compass was that thing that you used to draw circles. How can you tell where are you going.

Actually I have a cheapie one that did not work too well in the tank bag. I would recommend Riderwearhouse cause if your compass doesn't work they have a good return policy.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    I thought a compass was that thing that you used to draw circles. How can you tell where are you going.

Actually I have a cheapie one that did not work too well in the tank bag. I would recommend Riderwearhouse cause if your compass doesn't work they have a good return policy.
    free shipping too.

How about just using the sun for directions?or how about asking the Son for directions?

Quote Originally Posted by gambrinus
    As a general rule, most compasses (compi?) don't like to work too well when in close proximity to a few hundred pounds of metal, not to mention being attached to them. Head to your local REI and buy yourself a basic hikers compass and toss it in your bag. Other good trick that I use when Mtn biking is to just wear it around your neck on the lanyard.. pull it and the map out when you need to do a location check.

RW
    What he said. I've got a $10 compass that's survived the past 6 years of riding just fine. You can find them at any sporting good store or large department store (e.g. Kmart). I won't satisfy the gadget urge, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC 1923
    I've seen a thermometer (made by Wunderlich?) for the top yoke of a BMW motorcycle. I have a pretty good idea what the ambient temperature is, but I sometimes want a slightly more accurate idea of which direction I'm heading than using the sun. . . .

Has anyone seen a compass that can be mounted in the hole in the top yoke of an RT?
    As others have said, a GPS works great. In reality, are you really going to need to read a compass while riding? You probably have a pretty good idea of your direction anyway.
    That being said, I use one of these little compass/thermometer keychain things from Coleman. $2.00!
    I just pull it out of my pocket and to check direction if necessary. Plus, it gives me a good idea of the temperature in my pocket.

Sun rises in the east and sets in the west. It's only difficult at noon in the summer.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    What happens if you are in a place where it rains all the time? Oh you know you are in Seattle than....
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

SNC1923
    Okay, okay. . . . so it was a dumb question. Sheesh.

I remember walking through my dealer's parking lot oggling all the beemers and noticed a top yoke thermometer. It seemed like a cool accessory and thought to myself "that would be a great spot for a compass."

Of course, it didn't occur to me that a compass should be level, and being magnetic in nature, far away from any steel. I'm a dork; what are you going to do?

I generally don't need to know the direction, and do rely on the sun for directions (it's quite reliable). I really wanted it because it drives me crazy when I'm riding down a major north/south artery like the 101, heading directly into the morning sun. How can I be going east?

I know freeways meander to accomodate topography, but I just wanted some gauge to let me know precisely which direction. I bought a cool one in Hawaii last year (where I rented a Road King and rode to Hana); I think I'll try tucking one into my map case and see if that works.