Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 12th way to die, a forum paradox

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The biggest distraction on my bike is the speedometer. I never look at it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    I had a thermometer on the bike for awhile, and I found myself fascinated with temp changes: "Look! It went down a half degree and I felt it!" .
    I've done that.

I rented a radio-equipped HD recently and gave it a try -- ended up turning off the radio after just a few miles.

So far the only equipment I've mounted from the list is the GPS. I have tended to avoid anything that might prove distracting, but believe the GPS provides other benefits that outweigh those concerns.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Douglas Williams
    I don't think you all are giving yourselves enough credit. This is a safety-minded group and I think most of the riders here make that extra effort to stay safe. That may mean removing a distraction, like the thermometer or radio, or taking the time to learn to use it as an asset. Those farkles that can't be learned well or prove to be more of a distraction than an aid get removed or turned off. I currently use only a gps but I'm not averse to using another farkle if I think it will enhance the ride and not distract me from it. I'm not worried so much about #12 but I do need to add some color to my mostly black attire. At least the bike is yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    At least the bike is yellow.
    Good thing there is so much yellow. A green motorcycle is bad luck and clearly it would tempt the safety fates to ride a green motorcycle. Then again it might be unsafe to pull up to a group of BMW purists with that flame job. You could be rebuked harshly!! or worse!

We also use two way radios when travelling on multi day trips... but not for idle chit chat...which on multiple bikes can be distracting with "look at that" comments from multiple riders. On day rides we don't hook all that up.
    It is usually just Helen and myself and we know when or when not to chat. Being able to warn each other of road hazards when out of sight of each other has more than once given peace of mind. The set of rear truck axles rolling w/out their trailer near West Bend a few years back was one of those. On those 500+ mile late afternoon middle of nowhere times,it's nice to hear a "how you doin'?" from your companion.

I have to say after watching F-1 and NASCAR drivers going into a corner at 200MPH and calmly talking about the weather or something bright in the grandstands...I gave it a try at a lot slower pace...never have found it to be an issue...more of a convenience...once again until you have really tried it don't be hasty in viewing in a negative light. And a good system will sway your opinion in a positive way IMHO. Some systems are just hard to understand the other users due to static.

The Goldwingers have a CB Etiquette/usage section in their manual for group riding as the road captains use the system to navigate the flotilla on larger rides. The lead and the sweep both are in constant communication it seems.

Oh yeah, we have a "can you see me" bike as well
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I bet this will seperate into two lines of thought...those that dislike technology and those that embrace it...sounds like when the K-bike and the oilheads came to be Most will find if they at least try it before condemning it they will maybe see some of the benefits.

I have bikes with and without bells and whistles. I see it no different than my former 1959 carburated Microbus with nothing to my 2003 Dodge FI Diesel with a radio and a CD player. Times and technlogy have changed.

I have a GPS/XM. Do not use it all the time... listening to the prompts in congested areas sure is safer than map gazing for me. I still use the map on my tank as well when out in the clear. Listening to the music makes me happy...an idle mind is a dangerous place to be for me...too many deep thoughts

I do not make phone calls when rolling in/on any vehicle...big peeve of mine

Radar detector...own one but rarely use it unless I know I am intentionally going to exceed the posted limits...and I still got a ticket the last time I did that and am on double super secret probation I had the heads up HARD display so really not a distraction unless the red LED started flashing and I started looking when I knew better.

Riding is a high risk already, getting lulled into an electronic trance is ...it's how one perceives his/her comfort zone...so I say ride your own ride...just be careful and stay out of my lane and off my tail. Staring at the white lines can also put one in a trance...

I bet the pilots here are chuckling...how about heads up displays for the future of motorcycling I can see the new gen K1200LT with it now

oh yeah...53 years old and 40 years of two wheelin'
    Very well said

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    A green motorcycle is bad luck
    Don't tell Scott Russell, Eddie Lawson, Gary Nixon, Tommy and Roger Lee Hayden, Ricky Carmichael, Bubba Stewart, Jeff Emig, Destry Abbott, Jeff Fredette, Ricky Gadson...

What do you think of these flames???

& Yvonne DuHammel

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Don't tell Scott Russell, Eddie Lawson, Gary Nixon, Tommy and Roger Lee Hayden, Ricky Carmichael, Bubba Stewart, Jeff Emig, Destry Abbott, Jeff Fredette, Ricky Gadson...
    They must have afixed "fairy bells" to counteract the green jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I don't think you all are giving yourselves enough credit. This is a safety-minded group and I think most of the riders here make that extra effort to stay safe. That may mean removing a distraction, like the thermometer or radio, or taking the time to learn to use it as an asset. Those farkles that can't be learned well or prove to be more of a distraction than an aid get removed or turned off. I currently use only a gps but I'm not averse to using another farkle if I think it will enhance the ride and not distract me from it. I'm not worried so much about #12 but I do need to add some color to my mostly black attire. At least the bike is yellow.
    Riding next to this bike could distract someone more than a GPS... Only kidding. I like it.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    What do you think of these flames???

That is the first RS I have seen with flames. But you know what they say. "What ever floats your boat"
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Love the pictures and the flames!

What I am gleaning from this discussion is rather than rationalizing the use of electronic gizmoes or becoming mindless slaves to them you tech adopters have found ways to intelligently use and manage them safely. While I suspected this would be the response the article spurred me to ask the question. Thanks for the discussion and the pictures.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

RTFlyer
    I have a GPS and a second mount that either has a radar detector or camera, depending on my mood. Add to those my Scala Q2 intercom which is linked to my GPS and phone...I rarely have used the phone when riding, but I do like to see if I'm missing an important call so I can pull over and get back with whomever. My garmin 550 works as a caller ID when paired to my iPhone.

So here goes...I agree with others that I believe that the voice prompts on the GPS are safer than glancing at a map in unfamiliar territory. As far as music, I go back and forth. I enjoy the sound of the engine and the rush of the wind as much as anyone, but I also like a little rock-&-roll to liven things up once-in-a-while. The intercom gets used occaisionally, but I find that I enjoy riding with a pillion rider who knows when to hush and enjoy the ride more than someone who yammers on. My soon-to-be-ex-wife was one of the latter.

In the end, I can and do enjoy my rides with all farkles humming, and at other times with nothing at all except my own thoughts. Since I can have it either way, I do.

We can look at these things as distractions or see them as things that keep us engaged. In my occupation, it is well understood that errors occur more frequently when things are slow as opposed to when things are hopping. It just could be that I'm safer on the bike when my mind is fully engaged. I can't disagree with those here who prefer solitude either though. I guess it's all just a reflection of our own individual personalities and preferences.

Scootertrash
    After reading that article titled "A Dozen Ways to Die". It kinda reminded me about the "Ten Ways To Die".

?
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com