Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The 12th way to die, a forum paradox

Reminds me of some boating discussion I have had, new boater becomes so fixated on GPS, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc he runs into another boater because he forgets to look where he is going. For me the end line is these are devices that provide input. You still need a brain with a good filter to decide what, were, and how much input you want. Some people become fixated on any shiny thing, they should not drive with shiny things.

I'm not too concerned with my distractions...it's the mini van texting next to me that freaks me out.
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

One of my reasons for riding and enjoyment of riding is to get away from "intrusive" technology. I only carry a phone for outbound calls. And I avoid GPS because I kinda look forward to being "lost." I like the idea that I'm navigating by general compass points. I will find new roads this way. The map is a back up plan. If there is a true destination and a time issue, I'll write directions in advance and place in tank bag window. This comment is no judgment on others, just what works for me. The safety-distraction issue is another matter. Everyone has their own skills, styles and tolerances--but--in general I think the extra devices would be a distraction for many, if not all riders. It would be easy to justify the opposite conclusion if you're already invested in the gadget.
    Recent experiment: Two groups were asked to memorize a number. Group One had to memorize a two digit number. Group Two had to memorize a seven digit number. After fifteen minutes, both groups were asked to choose between a snack of fresh fruit, or very rich chocolate cake. Almost everyone in Group One chose fresh fruit, and almost everyone in Group Two chose the cake. The distraction of the memorizing of the extra digits could have been the reason for the poor decision of Group Two. It also took each member of Group Two much longer to make the decision. When riding, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BE INDECISIVE--GOOD, AND TIMELY DECISIONS ARE AS IMPORTANT AS GOOD SKILLS.
    Ok, I just hopped off the soap box. I enjoyed the thread.
    "everyman is the architect of his own character"

Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    I feel that a GPS is much less of a distraction than a map, and trying to find roadsigns, ect. One quick glance, and you see where you are supposed to turn, or hear it announced without looking.

Admittadly this only works if you have a destination when you begin your ride.

Also, to me it's nice to just take off riding, and not worrry about where you have been, where you are going. When you are ready to head home punch in home and follow the arrows....

I feel the GPS is a safety plus because I can be driving/riding defensively and not trying to find road a or street signs. It also gives me some warning so I have time get into the proper lane.
    2007 R1200RT
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000
    Iron Butt #24605

I enjoy all of my distractions. I also have a camera with a wrist strap on my arm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

LOL....Dave, I'm sure you realize that you have 3 CompassÔÇÖs?

somehow just struck me funny.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    That is the first RS I have seen with flames. But you know what they say. "What ever floats your boat"
    Bud, those were on it when I bought it in Colorado. Believe it or not, the guy paid over $800 in material & labor! I considered getting a can of Wallmart rattlecan black before leaving for home, or a satin pink riding suit - was afraid of what might follow me home though. It was looking much better 1 week later.
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

LOL....Dave, I'm sure you realize that you have 3 CompassÔÇÖs?

somehow just struck me funny.

And I always trust the one on the right. A lot of my riding is with the GPS's off. At times they annoy me. I do find the GPS's very handy in large cities in rush hour traffic. They are both programed slightly different.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Does the old saying does a man with to watches know what time it really is come to anyone elses mind?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Bud, those were on it when I bought it in Colorado. Believe it or not, the guy paid over $800 in material & labor! I considered getting a can of Wallmart rattlecan black before leaving for home, or a satin pink riding suit - was afraid of what might follow me home though. It was looking much better 1 week later.

I couldn't help myself when I saw that and knew you were a boater. Not often I get to use that saying in context.

BTW My favorite boat name is Last Boat III, which I saw on a boat on Lake Michigan.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by boatfd View Post
    Reminds me of some boating discussion I have had, new boater becomes so fixated on GPS, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc he runs into another boater because he forgets to look where he is going. For me the end line is these are devices that provide input. You still need a brain with a good filter to decide what, were, and how much input you want. Some people become fixated on any shiny thing, they should not drive with shiny things.
    Yep..sounds like a typical power boater on the Chesapeake Bay...

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
    s/v 'Tango'
    Kent Narrows,Md.

I only run with a GPS. Like others have said, I find it safer than trying to locate myself on a tank bag map. It doesn't take my eyes off the road as much due to it's placement, and it pretty much goes untouched while I'm in motion. There have been times on unknown roads where I zoom it in a little to give me an idea of the curves ahead, though I know better than to put all my faith in the GPS (I still go into blind corners rather cautiously). I only keep an eye on the GPS and don't use any voice prompting. Along those lines, I have tried music and found it horribly distracting so I just stick with earplugs, even on those longer 700+ mile days.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD