Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brown side stand

Brown side stand

I have a 92 rt and struggle with the stock side stand. What is your opinion of the Brown side stand and the difficulty or not of installing it.
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT
    1992R100RT
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Silverado

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by b52g View Post
    I have a 92 rt and struggle with the stock side stand. What is your opinion of the Brown side stand and the difficulty or not of installing it.
    I have a Brown side stand and love it. It is very easy to install, easy to deploy and very heavy duty. The only downside is that the "foot" is not large and will sink into asphalt and dirt. Kind of expensive for what is essentially a super heavy duty bicycle stand but well worth the money. Can be found used on Ebay however.

I have installed them on just about every airhead that I have owned. They are well worth the money and easy to install.

Manfred
    I've read that Browns don't fit newer airheads. Any truth to that? If so, what are bikes that wont' accept a Brown without modification?

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by scjack View Post
    I have installed them on just about every airhead that I have owned. They are well worth the money and easy to install.
    Ditto that

carlo
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned.

Whenever I forget to raise my Brown sidestand, it's kicked into the closed position the first time I make a left turn. The geometry seems to allow it to just flip out of the way, rather than causing a catastrophe the way some stands could if they didn't have kill switches built into them..

Thumbs up

As I recall, the Brown is round rod. There is also another bracket that accepts a BMW sidestand in the footpeg area (where it belongs) with more of a foot. You can bolt a stainless steel strap around the bottom of the Brown sidestand to provide some additional area.

The designer of the stock airhead sidestands should be required to travel with a heavy pack on the back of the bike for 2 or 3 millions miles, so he would continually be catching the bike as the front wheel lifts off.

Be aware that the Brown (and other) sidestand bracket bolts on the end of the rear engine stud, and it might be necessary to find a longer stud. I think I got one from a Suzuki dealer. You don't want the stud sticking out more than a thread or two on either side, but you do want the threads all the way through the nuts.

And the front of the bracket is held from rotating by a strap around the header pipe. Take care to get the fit right so it holds the bracket firmly, but doesn't rattle on the chrome.

Depending on your style of shifter lever, you may have to file an indent on the top of the sidestand bracket to allow shifting down into first gear, and not having your toe slamming into the carb bowl on upshifts.

pmdave

Farley stand

Quote Originally Posted by pmdave View Post
    As I recall, the Brown is round rod. There is also another bracket that accepts a BMW sidestand in the footpeg area (where it belongs) with more of a foot. You can bolt a stainless steel strap around the bottom of the Brown sidestand to provide some additional area.

The designer of the stock airhead sidestands should be required to travel with a heavy pack on the back of the bike for 2 or 3 millions miles, so he would continually be catching the bike as the front wheel lifts off.

Be aware that the Brown (and other) sidestand bracket bolts on the end of the rear engine stud, and it might be necessary to find a longer stud. I think I got one from a Suzuki dealer. You don't want the stud sticking out more than a thread or two on either side, but you do want the threads all the way through the nuts.

And the front of the bracket is held from rotating by a strap around the header pipe. Take care to get the fit right so it holds the bracket firmly, but doesn't rattle on the chrome.

Depending on your style of shifter lever, you may have to file an indent on the top of the sidestand bracket to allow shifting down into first gear, and not having your toe slamming into the carb bowl on upshifts.

pmdave
    The Farley is similar to the Brown's. But it already has the indent by the shift lever. And on the later ones the strap around the header is now a collar attachment to the frame. Also, you can order it with the longer stud.

I have these on 3 twinshocks. Don't know if there is a monoshock version, but it would seem worth a try - I bought one less than a year ago, so they are in current production, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    The Farley is similar to the Brown's. But it already has the indent by the shift lever. And on the later ones the strap around the header is now a collar attachment to the frame. Also, you can order it with the longer stud.

I have these on 3 twinshocks. Don't know if there is a monoshock version, but it would seem worth a try - I bought one less than a year ago, so they are in current production, apparently.
    I have had a Farley on my mono for about 10 years so he at least did make them.

I have a Brown sidesand on my 78RS and had one on my 95RT. On the 95 I mounted it differently than using the exhause pipe for support. I added an extension rod mounted to the first and a second hole that I drilled in the side stand between the two holes already there.

I then attached this support rod to the front engine mount bolt. I felt that this was more secure than the exhaust pipe arrangement. However, I have never had an issue with the 78 either. Sorry, I no longer have the bike or a photo of it.

I like the stand because it does not feel like the bike will fall over if pushed forward.

On the Road
    The only thing I don't like about the Brown is it can sink into soft dirt or grass. I sometime carry a flattened soda can to put down on the ground to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I have a Brown sidesand on my 78RS and had one on my 95RT. On the 95 I mounted it differently than using the exhause pipe for support. I added an extension rod mounted to the first and a second hole that I drilled in the side stand between the two holes already there.

I then attached this support rod to the front engine mount bolt. I felt that this was more secure than the exhaust pipe arrangement. However, I have never had an issue with the 78 either. Sorry, I no longer have the bike or a photo of it.

I like the stand because it does not feel like the bike will fall over if pushed forward.
    I have Brown's on both of my airheads. Neither is mounted to the exhaust bracket. I installed a "P" clamp directly on the frame. I didn't have to redrill any holes, but I did have to do a little shaving of the metal on the stand for the shifter.

I really like the Brown over the stock, springer stand. Yes, you do need something for the bottom of the stand on the asphalt. I've got some little plastic discs given out at rallies. They even have little holes in them. Tie a piece of dental floss on it, so when you're ready to take off, you can just pull it up, wrap it up and put it in your jacket or tank bag.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I really like the Brown over the stock, springer stand. Yes, you do need something for the bottom of the stand on the asphalt. I've got some little plastic discs given out at rallies. They even have little holes in them. Tie a piece of dental floss on it, so when you're ready to take off, you can just pull it up, wrap it up and put it in your jacket or tank bag.
    Or just use an old CD that you don't listen to anymore and tie the string through the hole in the middle. Those things are remarkably strong.

A standard Brown will definitely not bolt directly up to a mono shock. A modified bracket will be required. I used the rear engine mount and the exhaust clamp, others have proposed a bracket to the front engine mount. I can send you a pic of my bracket if needed, shoot me a pm. All that aside, the Brown is a fantastic stand, YMMV. Sure is nice with a loaded bike to deploy the side stand to get off.
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

I recently installed a Browns' on my RT. Why didn't I do it sooner???? The stock stand worked ok but seemed a bit flimsy.

I kept it on though; in the event of a soft dirt parking deployment, I can use the original with the big 'foot'. The two stands don't interfere with each other at all.

Another idea for soft dirt and a Browns is one of those 'furniture coasters' that go under couch or table legs.
    Steve in Santa Fe
    1980 R100RT
    2005 DR 650