Thread: New Member in Ithaca, New York

Graymantr6

New Member in Ithaca, New York

Hi, Im Alex. Joined the forum over the summer and have been busy with work and school so I haven had time to post anything.

Basic stuff is, Im a Mechanical Engineer and currently have two bikes. A 1971 R60/5 that I picked up for free. Thing was a basket case. All the bolts for the entire bike came in the same coffee can and took two trips filling up my old golf with parts. Took a year to get running and another to get rrunning well and all the goofy stuff sorted out. Stuff like instrument lights and a messed up charging system.
    Its been a learning experience, still dont understand why the bike doesnt have any fuses. The guys at Max BMW have been a huge help. That was before I found this forum though.

The other bike is a GS500, dont really like it but got it really cheap and just trying to turn it to buy something else. Or parts, those are nice to.

Hope to learn a lot from this place and just have a good time.

Alex

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Looks like you are not afraid to tackle a project bike. How about a picture of the completed project.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Hey Alex! Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have real prize there and one to proud of. Having fun...heck that will not be a problem in this group! Glad to have you..ride safe and ride often (may want to let it warm up some though! )
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

Graymantr6

The Bike

Thanks for the warm welcome. I posted an after pic in the airheads picture thread.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by Graymantr6 View Post
    Its been a learning experience, still dont understand why the bike doesnt have any fuses.
    Fuses just help keep the smoke in. Smoke needs to be free ...

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Hey Alex! I SO envy people who can look at a basket of parts and create something functional out of it!

Nice riding in your neck of the woods!

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Alex

Also get help from

Heids Hodaka & BMW
    2033 Garnet Lake Rd N
    Johnsburg, NY 12843
    Or call 518-251-2110

They have plenty of parts in trailers and provide technical help.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

R60/5

Alex,
    I started riding BMWs in 1972 and I had an R60/5 at first. I used to drive to Ithaca from Skaneateles to get ice cream at Purity Ice Cream at the end of the lake. I used to go to college town to a greek restaurant. I miss the hills and seasons and especially miss Wegman's.
    I hope you have a great experience with BMW MOA and your bike. You have serious depth and breadth of knowledge with these great people.
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT