Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need Lake Superior circle tour suggestions

I believe that lighthouse on Two harbors is also a B&B and on the National Historic Register.

D
    Don C
    2003 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Personally, I love to go visit old places, undisturbed or at least not crowded with Le Barons and Windstars. and brand new FLT's. Old lighthouses, Old oak barns with the grand roofs and cupolas, graveyards and other places that represent the history of the place is what turns me on as must sees in the places I'm passing through!

Thanks, everyone for these ongoing ideas of places to go.
    Before you get to Coopper Harbor, an interesting stop if you like this type of thing (which I also like), is the ghost town of Mandan, MI. It's just of Hwy 41 and I've never seen anyone there, except one old house which is still in use as a cabin, I don't think those people ever leave! But nice people.

A good side trip that doesn't get "tons" of visitors (but expect a few minivans) is The Delaware Mine. You get to go down to the first level. They have to keep water pumped out so you can't go deeper than that.
    http://www.copperharbor.org/site_fil.../del_mine.html

Many of the stores sell a series of local history books, which are fun to pick up and catch up on later, after the trip. They are cheap and pack easily.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by doncooke View Post
    I believe that lighthouse on Two harbors is also a B&B and on the National Historic Register.

D
    You are correct! I forgot about that. I actually paid the few dollars so I could walk to the top and take a look around. The place is supposed to be haunted I guess. It looks like a cool place to stay. While I was there, I walked out on the LOOOONG jetty just as an ore freighter came in and made a rather impressive swing and squeeze through there. I continued on and camped just past Grand Marais at Judge CR Magney State Park (pretty nice place for people who like to camp - the bathroom/showers were extremely clean). Coincidentally, there is a short walk you can take at that park to view Devil's Kettle Falls. It's rather interesting - the falls split into two. One side goes over the falls and continues downstream. The other half falls into a "hole" (the Devils Kettle) and disappears. They think it ends up in Lake Superior via underground channels, but they have never been able to verify that.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Need Lake Superior circle tour suggestions

to redcflco
    tahquamenon falls near paradise is worth the stop.
    to detour
    here in the eastern U.P. it's not safe to plant till after june 15 on account of frost

To schweinweg, what's your opinion on the brew pub that's located near the falls? Am thinking on tryiong to get a long weekend up there with my brothers this summer some time. We did Copper Harbor last year. We were going to try to do both. MAN it's a long long ways to go from Paradise to Copper Harbor, I map quested it and just couldn't believe that distance! So we called off the dual destination, time would not allow us to do both.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

brew pub

gilly
    I'm not much of a beer connoisseur it's a nice place and the location at the falls is nice,the food is kinda high priced but I'm a natural born tight wad.

tahquamenon falls http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/attachme...1&d=1266028304
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife and I rode up to the UP last summer from texas and had a wonderful time.One of the places we stayed at was this B&B in Eagle township.http://www.dapple-gray.com/ Little pricey but very nice.
    If you stay, ask for dinner suggestions. There is a great restaurant just up the road in an old lighthouse near the ferry service to Isle Royal.

That would be in Copper Harbor I assume? I think that's where the ferry landing is.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Yeah, sorry that's where it's at.

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Thumbs up

Red, it's a great ride and well worth the time. Ditto what others have posted. I did it back in 2000 on a KLR, I had plans of doing some fire trails but ended up staying on pavement except for about 30 miles of gravel.

The only concerns would be: not to ride at night because of all the critters; watch out for moose; bring lots of visor and windscreen cleaner because of all the bugs; bring plenty of insect repellent.

As I remember there was one stretch of road, on the north east side of the lake, with a lot of logging trucks on the road. They drive fast and pass anywhere, the back end of the log trailers seem to sway more than "regular" semis; bark and chunks of dirt fly off the back end.

I'd go again, have a great ride!
    1976 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
    Yeah, sorry that's where it's at.
    Been there on a sled back in 95'. Beeeeutiful!

Lake Superior Route

I have a GPX file with a route and a bunch of POI waypoints in it that you are welcome to consider as you plan your trip.

You can download the file from the Lake Superior directory at this link:
    http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/

Hope some of this proves helpful to your trip!

Trip around Lake Superior

You will have to stop in Marquette, MI...lots of really good restaunts, good motels and scenery. The historical Landmark Inn is guaranteed to be a memorable stay (outside the normal hotel and eatery). Located downtown Marquette, MI, they have (in our book) the best hamburgers, great beer and atmostphere. You can stay within the hotel and get a room with a beautiful view overlooking Lake Superior.

Blessings,
    John and Ann Johnson
    John
    2002 1150R
    1991 K100RS

I always walk out on the breakwater when I am in Marquette. Never tried venturing out past the concrete part, I see some do that though. I think it may only be fishers though.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606