Thread: New member Richmond, VA

New member Richmond, VA

Have not been riding since I had kids 20 years ago. Buddies ride Yamaha tour bikes and a Honda CRX 1300. I went a differnt route. New to me 2004 R 1150 RT with 8,800 miles. Don't think I ever paid more than $400 for my past rides so a little worried about driving such a nice bike. Love the bike except for the the tall first gear but I have gotten used to it now. Did my own oil and filter and trans and final drive change at 10,000 miles. Need to get up nerve to do ABS, valves, and TB at 12,000 miles. Looking for somewone in Central Virginia to teach me or let me watch them. Only thing I have added is a Hyper-lite brake/running light to underside of rear Givi top case rack. Can't wait to take some trips this spring.

EyeBiker
    Welcome to the MOA and congrats on your new ride. If you make it over to SW VA, holler and we'll ride some roads in this part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by maacova View Post
    Have not been riding since I had kids 20 years ago. Buddies ride Yamaha tour bikes and a Honda CRX 1300. I went a differnt route. New to me 2004 R 1150 RT with 8,800 miles. Don't think I ever paid more than $400 for my past rides so a little worried about driving such a nice bike. Love the bike except for the the tall first gear but I have gotten used to it now. Did my own oil and filter and trans and final drive change at 10,000 miles. Need to get up nerve to do ABS, valves, and TB at 12,000 miles. Looking for somewone in Central Virginia to teach me or let me watch them. Only thing I have added is a Hyper-lite brake/running light to underside of rear Givi top case rack. Can't wait to take some trips this spring.
    Welcome to the MOA! Sounds like you have a great bike and I bet you will find others close by to wrench with you. I am sure you paid a little more than your normal
    $400 for it I'll bet again it will be worth it! Stay tuned here and the ON for riding opportunities in your area or....maybe other areas...that's where the real fun begins! Gonna be a great rally in Redmond this summer
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

Welcome to the family. Great ride you chose. Sounds like you have many enjoyable miles in front of you.

See ya in Redmond?

Ride Well
    Ride Often
    Ride to Eat
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by maacova View Post
    So glad to have you as a new BMW rider and member! Congratulations on your bike - sounds like you got a great one and are bonding to it with the application of caring hands. In return it will reward you with many miles of experiences you can get no other way.
    Last edited by GregFeeler; 01-11-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Misspelled word.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Check out the Richmond, VA BMW motorcycle club - Richmond BMW Riders. Meetings are on the 3rd Sunday of every month, at Babe's of Carytown, starting around 0900.

Roy F

maacova: Welcome to a group of very interesting BMW people!

You should check out the events at VIR (http://www.virnow.com/). It is a nice ride down US360 South, out of Richmond to major metropolitan areas such as Amelia CH, Keysville, Clover, and Turbeville, VA. Good food stops along the way. Take VA 119 S to the track. Hopefully, there will be a number of BMW racers in various classes and organizations racing there this year. If Nate Kern is racing over here this year, he will be down for the CCS races in June 19-20 and Sept.25-26 He opens up his garage and it turns into a neat little BMW rally for the whole weekend at a great racetrack.

There will be WERA races March 20-21, WERA/AHRMA races Aug. 7-8, and the Big Kahuna AMA Superbike races Aug. 13-15. Too much fun!
    Onward, through the fog!