Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: R1200RT engine noise

Sounds like the rocker-arm endplay hasn't been set correctly. See the DIY for what I'm talking about. The engine will sound a world quieter once the endplay is set toward the minimum end of the scale. Most dealership mechanics just don't bother doing it, and it really should be done at the 600 mile service since the head gets retorqued so there isn't a better time to do it.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Don,
    I am glad you mentioned rocker arm end play. I followed the DIY and found the end play very tight at 12K. The dealer adjusted it at the 600 mile service. I adjusted when I did the valves and found I could not get a .004 thous. feeler guage in there (yes I tapped the rocker to open it up). The thing that really bothers me is loosening a head bolt and retourquing. That procedure rubs my mechanical sense the wrong way. The bike runs great and smooth as silk after I did a proper valve train adjustment. The Twin Max was spot on.
    Getting back to the subject, after riding Japanese bikes the BMW Boxer is a noisy engine. You Harley fellows haven't heard anything but exhaust in my opinion. I asked the Master Tech to take the bike for a spin and all is well. These bikes make a lot of ticking noises, I agree with the community advice. Hop on another and see if the sounds are similar and let your mind rest and enjoy the ride.
    Jeff
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

2000expilot
    I rode it some more and took some video to record the engine sound. I'll try to get the video up on you tube soon and get a link to it posted here. I noticed that the engine sounds fine when parked and the engine reved as high as 5000 rpm. I also had my son take it for a spin and he said he thought it sounded like the noise was maybe coming from the drive shaft right at the center of the bike. I'm anxious to see what the group thinks after hearing the video.

Jerry

2000expilot
    Ok, I took video while riding my R1200RT so those of you that may be ineterested in listening to it and giving me your feedback may do so. Maybe it sounds just like the rest...let me know. The video is on Youtube and can be found at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLC65...=youtube_gdata

Quote Originally Posted by 2000expilot View Post
    Ok, I took video while riding my R1200RT so those of you that may be ineterested in listening to it and giving me your feedback may do so. Maybe it sounds just like the rest...let me know. The video is on Youtube and can be found at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLC65...=youtube_gdata
    Other than the wind noise, I heard nothing unusual -- exhaust note and normal "sewing machine" valve noise was all I heard above the wind.

RTFlyer
    I can't tell...too much wind noise. Hopefully you can get it in to the dealer. It's a good excuse to hang out there for a while, enjoy the company of other riders, and shop for farkles and gear, if nothing else.

It's hard to distinguish wind buffeting from knock type noise, but I think I hear what you are referring to. Engine sounds nice, real nice.

If there's a problem, maybe drive shaft or final drive? Put it on the center stand try and rock the wheel back and forth (side to side, not in the direction of revolution). There should be no play you can discern by hand. Then, in gear, rotate the wheel back and forth, noticing the play in the shaft. It should rotate about 1 3/4 inches back and forth.

Is anything loose and just knocking around? I'd take the seats off and start pushing and pulling everything looking for something rattling.

Finally, go for a ride without a trunk or bags. I had a loose side case that rattled and made me think my final drive was going out, but it was just loose and needed an adjustment.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

TourNut
    Before my RT was "reprogrammed" at idle it would start the predetonating sounding noise about a minute after starting it cold , intermittantly. Under riding load , it was sounding the worst up to a speed 40-45, when the road noise / wind noise then overwhelmed it. Also it was doing about 32 mpg. Down at the national rally in TN. , idling around the rally , it was so noticeable , people were turning around frowning like "what the?" I heard no other R1200 engines doing that, and I took a test ride on a factory test ride R1200RT with my wife on it to be as close of conditions as mine is being ridden and that one was running without that noise and would take the gas better , generally ran very sweet, despite all the test riders beating on it. I 'm thinking , this is great, WHY DOESN"T MINE RUN LIKE THIS ? Lemon?

This isn't intended as a "Sweep the dirt under the rug" type solution, but you might want to consider wearing ear plugs for a whole lot of good reasons. Culturally speaking guys coming over from the cruiser world tend not to use them. I don't doubt you're indeed hearing something, but the valves can be a bit noisy on the boxer engine and you can drive yourself crazy listening to all that chatter with no plugs.

With plugs in you hear what you need to hear including problems with the engine, but you eliminate valve noise at least. Aside from that, you'll get a much more focused and relaxing ride not to mention protecting your hearing from constant wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    This isn't intended as a "Sweep the dirt under the rug" type solution, but you might want to consider wearing ear plugs for a whole lot of good reasons. Culturally speaking guys coming over from the cruiser world tend not to use them. I don't doubt you're indeed hearing something, but the valves can be a bit noisy on the boxer engine and you can drive yourself crazy listening to all that chatter with no plugs.

With plugs in you hear what you need to hear including problems with the engine, but you eliminate valve noise at least. Aside from that, you'll get a much more focused and relaxing ride not to mention protecting your hearing from constant wind noise.
    +1

2000expilot
    I took the bike into the dealer this morning. they were very helpful. One of the techs took it for a ride. He came back and said he heard what I was hearing. Said it was noticeable where I noticed it, he also had a big smile and said it ran strong and the engine sounded normal. He diagnosed the noise as pinging and said that the engine has to ping or knock before the computer can react to it and suppress it.

I also took the demonstrator out and rode it. I detected the same pinging in the same range as my RT, although it did seem to do it slightly less.

So after all this I've determined that I need to just ride the bike and not worry about it.

Thanks to all of you for your input and support in this matter.

Jerry

Well good news. The engine did sound nice. What octane are you using?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

That's the results I like to hear - "you got to ride more"!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

2000expilot
    Octane...that's a question I got from the tech at the dealer as well. I only put Premium in it (91 octane) (same as my BMW car). I try to put Shell or Chevron in it mostly, however I think I'm gonna try only using Chevron Supreme for a while.

I've been averaging 100 miles a day since I picked it up two weeks ago, but I think I do need to ride it more.

TourNut
    Remembering what SVSutton related to me , He tried 89 octane and the noise was greatly reduced. It sounds like we all have been using 91-93 octane and are having this predetonating noise deal. Interesting , if this is how the computer reacts. When we in Michigan ever get Springtime, April-May usually, I can't wait to be able to get to a non-icy road to try 89 octane like SV Sutton did. Maybe this noise will clear up, I sure do not want engine damage that predetonation will eventually cause. So far it hasn't yet in 3300 miles, the dealer's tech said after scoping both cylinders for the beginning of holed pistons.