Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rite of Spring Ride

Quote Originally Posted by briana View Post
    I'm in. If you can send me an e-mail when we get closer so i rememer to go back and check this post.

Brian
    bdanderson72@hotmail.com
    Will do Brian
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Thumbs up

I might be in for that ride if winter is letting up here by then. I will have to check my calendar. That's about a 2 hour ride for me from home.

As it would happen I can't make my own ride on the 10th........

So looking for votes for either April 3rd or the 24th.

The 10th is still open but I would like to ride my own ride if I can

I'll set up a poll for about a week to see the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    All right - the New Year has started, most of us have our bikes covered and on battery chargers so let's start planning for our first ride.

Time: April 10th, 2010

Inital Meeting Area: somewhere near the New England Air Musueum in Windsor Locks CT for breakfast

Ride Plan: After breakfast ride Route 20 West, to 8 North to Mass 23 west to Rte 7 South to Rte 4 East and then cut north Rte 10 back to the Air Museum and hang out there for a late lunch and see the Museum.

Items that need to be finalized:

• Breakfast location
    • Alternate route for Route 10 leg back to the Museum
    • Lunch Location

We got plenty of time to come up with a kick butt plan to start the riding season, so let this thread be a blank canvas for brainstorming.

Cheers

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

As it would happen I can't make my own ride on the 10th........

So looking for votes for either April 3rd or the 24th.

The 10th is still open but I would like to ride my own ride if I can

I'll set up a poll for about a week to see the interest.

Either of those work for me Luis. I hope to be there. I had better get some brake pads ordered.

Steve - good to see you back on the board!!

Hope to be there
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

OK Changed the date to the 24th based on the votes

All right - the New Year has started, most of us have our bikes covered and on battery chargers so let's start planning for our first ride.

Time: April 24th, 2010

Inital Meeting Area: somewhere near the New England Air Musueum in Windsor Locks CT for breakfast

Ride Plan: After breakfast ride Route 20 West, to 8 North to Mass 23 west to Rte 7 South to Rte 4 East and then cut north Rte 10 back to the Air Museum and hang out there for a late lunch and see the Museum.

• Breakfast location
    • Alternate route for Route 10 leg back to the Museum
    • Lunch Location

We got plenty of time to come up with a kick butt plan to start the riding season, so let this thread be a blank canvas for brainstorming.

Cheers

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Thumbs up

Sweet! Looking forward to it.

OK Changed the date to the 24th based on the votes

Breakfast location
    Alternate route for Route 10 leg back to the Museum
    Lunch Location
    We could meet at the Crackerbarrell restraunt in Enfield. Warehouse Point for breakfast. It's right off I91. I will get the exit number (it's either 44 or 45 I think, you can see it from I91)if everyone is cool with that.

I have been thinking about the return trip. We can take 7 south out of Great Barrington to 128 East over Mohawk Mountain and then 63 south to 4 west into Torrington. From there we can hop up route 8 north and cut back over 20 east to Granby and Windsor Locks. Rte 20 is well worth travelling in both directions although it may be a little beat up from the winter. I can refine this down to eliminate a couple of the larger roads between now and then. If everybody is cool with the route, I will print out the (suggested) route sheet for everyone.

Lunch?
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    We could meet at the Crackerbarrell restraunt in Enfield. Warehouse Point for breakfast. It's right off I91. I will get the exit number (it's either 44 or 45 I think, you can see it from I91)if everyone is cool with that.

I have been thinking about the return trip. We can take 7 south out of Great Barrington to 128 East over Mohawk Mountain and then 63 south to 4 west into Torrington. From there we can hop up route 8 north and cut back over 20 east to Granby and Windsor Locks. Rte 20 is well worth travelling in both directions although it may be a little beat up from the winter. I can refine this down to eliminate a couple of the larger roads between now and then. If everybody is cool with the route, I will print out the (suggested) route sheet for everyone.

Lunch?
    Steve - sounds like a great plan - let's move forward with what you have.

Where are we going to be at lunch time? I can look for some suggestions once I know.

Also is the museum in or out - does not matter to me - just need to know

Thanks

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

RTRyder
    Where are we going to be at lunch time?
    Eating lunch, I hope!

If we're anywhere near the airport in Windsor Locks, I know of a great Japanese restaurant near there, or there's a number of places to stop and eat along that strip of the Ella Grasso turnpike...

I don't know anything about the area so I can't offer any suggestions of places to eat. I am just hoping to eat!

Ride Plans

Participating

This is what I have so far for a bike count = 10

1. Semper Fi
    2. Mrs. Semper Fi
    3. Empeg9000
    4. RTRyder
    5. Oldhway
    6. Briana
    7. 11940
    8. PFiedler
    9. BMWPhreak
    10. Howard Quint

I am estimating that there will be a total of 13 because I am assume Steve (Oldhway), Stephen (empeg9000) and Joe (11940) will bring someone.

We should have a good understanding of how many are participating to see if we have to reserve space at either breakfast or lunch locations.

If you are planning to bring another person or another rider just post so we are all aware.

Lunch - let's get some ideas posted for review

RIDE RULES - which will be brought up at the first meeting when every one is together

• All riders with GPS should have the main way points programmed into their units; mandatory for lead and lag bikes
    • p
    • 2 second STAGGERD formation - last trip we got away from that by some of the leaders, and as we are all aware causes a ripple effect down stream
    • p
    • The Lead Bike should have a phone that can be used while driving, ie receive and make calls
    • p
    • We need a dedicated tail dragger and this person should also have a phone that is usable while riding - in this manner the lead and lag bikes can be in communication
    • p
    • Slow Traffic passing - this is to be done only in legal passing zones, when the pass is initated by the lead bike it is the responsibility of each of the subsequent riders to pass in a safe and proper manner. The lead bike will maintain pace from the front and the lag bike will communicate to the lead bike when they have passed the moving obstacle.

I bring up the slow traffic pass because we had an instance on the last ride where it was painful and chaotic and am trying to avoid that.

There are always more group riding rules but i just want to set up the minimal baseline.

The goal here is to have fun, enjoy ourselves, and be safe
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Luis, do you mind if I suggest this ride at my next club meeting? I do not know how many would be interested by maybe a few.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Participating

This is what I have so far for a bike count = 10

1. Semper Fi
    2. Mrs. Semper Fi
    3. Empeg9000
    4. RTRyder
    5. Oldhway
    6. Briana
    7. 11940
    8. PFiedler
    9. BMWPhreak
    10. Howard Quint

I am estimating that there will be a total of 13 because I am assume Steve (Oldhway), Stephen (empeg9000) and Joe (11940) will bring someone.

We should have a good understanding of how many are participating to see if we have to reserve space at either breakfast or lunch locations.

If you are planning to bring another person or another rider just post so we are all aware.

Lunch - let's get some ideas posted for review

RIDE RULES - which will be brought up at the first meeting when every one is together

• All riders with GPS should have the main way points programmed into their units; mandatory for lead and lag bikes
    • p
    • 2 second STAGGERD formation - last trip we got away from that by some of the leaders, and as we are all aware causes a ripple effect down stream
    • p
    • The Lead Bike should have a phone that can be used while driving, ie receive and make calls
    • p
    • We need a dedicated tail dragger and this person should also have a phone that is usable while riding - in this manner the lead and lag bikes can be in communication
    • p
    • Slow Traffic passing - this is to be done only in legal passing zones, when the pass is initated by the lead bike it is the responsibility of each of the subsequent riders to pass in a safe and proper manner. The lead bike will maintain pace from the front and the lag bike will communicate to the lead bike when they have passed the moving obstacle.

I bring up the slow traffic pass because we had an instance on the last ride where it was painful and chaotic and am trying to avoid that.

There are always more group riding rules but i just want to set up the minimal baseline.

The goal here is to have fun, enjoy ourselves, and be safe
    Sounds good Luis. Who is going to make up the GPS waypoint and email them around? I don't know that area at all so I need help with that.

i have no idea how to make GPS way points but I will write out the specific course and post it here for everyone plus have it printed up the day of the ride. I am still fiddling a bit with the Cornwall bridge back to rte 20 part.

the Fabulous Mrs Me will be unable to attend since she has decided we should raise fiber animals and will be at a Sheep and fiber animals seminar/show. I cannot express the depths of my joy over this new endeavor.... just kidding, it should be fun .

If folks want to avoid meeting off rte 91 at Crackerbarrel, we could simply meet at the mcDonalds on rte 20 in Granby. Quick bite and get moving quick.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT