Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SWB repro seat?

I've come to the opinion that the seat is probably one of the most, and when it comes to making your female riding partner happty, THE MOST important parts of the bike...therefore, the issue of cost takes a long second to the issue of being the correct piece...I waited almost five years to get the right seat for my Harley, because it was DERN expensive, but now we are both happy...

So, my point is to NOT concern yourself about getting the cheapest seat out there...if you're gonna treat yourself to a new seat, get the one that will work best for you...if you can't afford that one right now, simply use the one ya got until you can...

One more choice, the Sargent Classic. You can see my blog post, with comparison photos here -- http://penforhire.wordpress.com/2007...s-get-gremlins

That is a pretty close replica.

Brown Leather Seat

I would love to see how RaceyDog mounted this to the rear subframe, I would like to install this onto my R75, I would even invest in a used rear subframe to hack if necessary.
    Peter Schuyler

Quote Originally Posted by pschuyler View Post
    I would love to see how RaceyDog mounted this to the rear subframe, I would like to install this onto my R75, I would even invest in a used rear subframe to hack if necessary.
    Although a picture is worth a thousand words, I think that all you'd have to do is weld in a length of channel across the sub-frame as a mounting point for the seat springs...

Locksmith Extraordinaire RACEYDOG's Avatar
    I decided not to use springs since I had the Koni shocks for suspension. I didn't want to make it too soft and bouncy. Here is a link to some photos of the project.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ShelbyLockandKey/1972R505#
    2007 R1200RT - Gadgetmobile (sold)
    1972 R50/5 Toaster - Delilah

I have the Sargent seat on my bike and it isnt nearly as high a quality as the original r-90 seat or the German manufactured RS replacement Seats available through Seibenrock.

The RS repro seats are 100% to factory specs, while the Sargent seat thats on my R-90 has a shiny cover, the seat base is plastic and the hinges are junk. The hinge hooks bend easily and they aren't manufactured to spec, so they scratch the frame.

If I ever find a nice original seat for sale, I'm grabbing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Raceydog View Post
    I decided not to use springs since I had the Koni shocks for suspension. I didn't want to make it too soft and bouncy.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with you in terms of TOO much bouncing around...plus, it puts the seat higher than I'd like it...real nice looking installation, those rubber bumpers should be cushion enough, I think...

New Seat

Quote Originally Posted by Raceydog View Post
    I decided not to use springs since I had the Koni shocks for suspension. I didn't want to make it too soft and bouncy. Here is a link to some photos of the project.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ShelbyLockandKey/1972R505#
    Thanks so much for posting this, I just ordered a Ultima 9x13 brown leather seat similar to yours on Ebay. I appreciate the head start on how you made yours fit.
    Peter Schuyler