Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

With BMW Engine Guards

I installed the aluminum BMW engine guards on mt 2010RT and would like HWY pegs. Does anyone know if these work with the BMW guards in place
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

ghostrider1964
    Quote Originally Posted by 105258 View Post
    I installed the aluminum BMW engine guards on mt 2010RT and would like HWY pegs. Does anyone know if these work with the BMW guards in place
    Unfortunately it says on their website that the pegs do not work with head protectors. I have Illium Bar risers and really like the quality, so was looking to buy until I saw the lack of compatibility with head protectors

Head Guards

I discussed with the dealer today and I will make a bracket that come off the head guards and mount a set of generic pegs to that bracket. It will take me some tome to fabricate this as I'm a little busy now but will post the result when complete.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
    Unfortunately it says on their website that the pegs do not work with head protectors. I have Illium Bar risers and really like the quality, so was looking to buy until I saw the lack of compatibility with head protectors
    I put th new highway pegs on AND I have the black head protectors. It wasn't even an issue. There was plenty of clearance. Go forward, having the pegs is nice, in fact I would have sacraficed the head protectors for them.

Ground clearance on Iliums on RT

Anyone have a guess as to how much ground clearence is lost? Little ? Lots? Do you think the peg feelers would still hit first or would the highway peg hinge (when folded) be first to contact in a turn? I really want a set but wouldn't want to grind them off or crash should I ever get into a curve over my head. I haven't come close to touchdown yet, I don't think, but also wouldn't want to give up much of the clearance built into the bike.
    Thanks!
    Live this day.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Anyone have a guess as to how much ground clearence is lost? Little ? Lots? Do you think the peg feelers would still hit first or would the highway peg hinge (when folded) be first to contact in a turn? I really want a set but wouldn't want to grind them off or crash should I ever get into a curve over my head. I haven't come close to touchdown yet, I don't think, but also wouldn't want to give up much of the clearance built into the bike.
    Thanks!
    Don Cameron stuck a set on at the rally. He headed out east before making his way back to NM and we had breakfast this morning on his way through to Deming.

I asked how he liked them. Said they're "ok" to stretch a leg but he could really do that by just standing up or letting them hang. I was also curious about touching them down when really hot. Don isn't a hot rider [he's not insane yet] but we crawled around checking things out and there is no way they're touching down unless you get into valve cover scraping territory. I've been known to run pretty hard and have eaten up some touchdown pegs on Oilheads and on my R12RT - but to me, valve covers are out of the question.

I noted that they were just too pricy for my wallet for as little as they'd get used and Don said he wasn't sure he'd buy them again.

Don will be home this afternoon, Stan. Email me if you want his email address and you can talk to him about tem.

Hope that helps some.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Thanks Steve

I called Ilium, again, today and they have actually measured them. Motorrad says the RT will do 45 degrees. Ilium fully compressed the suspension and measured with their pegs on and came in at 42 degrees. I have scraped the center stand on the GS but I'm sure I don't get near 45 degrees so I should be good. I going to do it as I need the stretch on long days. Ilium showed me a trick in Redmond. If you put your heel right on the pad and drop your toes forward you can really stretch out and the pegs won't fold up.

I rode home from Bismarck N.D. yesterday and the run made the decision for me. Thanks for the post.
    Live this day.

Photo?

Anyone have a photo or a link to a photo for a set of these? I'm a new owner of a 2010RT and "stretching my legs" is something I'm missing. Thanks.
    Jim
    2010, R1200RT
    Rochester, NY

look at the OP.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

post #21 thru #25

I don't "think" they fit the 2010. Give Ilium a call, they're nice folks.
    Live this day.

Photos?

Anyone have a photo of these installed?
    Jim
    2010, R1200RT
    Rochester, NY

Look at posts 21 - 25 of this thread for photos
    Live this day.

For my riding, clearance will never be an issue. No. 1 I wouldn't have my feet out there if I were in twisties.....they are called highway pegs for a reason. They are so easy to flip in, the wind does it if you leave them out. If you left them out in twisties they would just fold in without an issue.

I think the design is really good. I can't use them for more than a few minutes at a time but it's much better than hanging my feet. I think my knees like them!

Beemergirl

Thanks for the response! My question wasn't about the pegs extended. When the pegs are installed, in the folded position, there is a slight los of ground clearance. In real world aplication it's a loss of about 3 degrees of lean angle which is no big deal for me and my riding style. Thanks again.
    Live this day.

ghostrider1964
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Thanks for the response! My question wasn't about the pegs extended. When the pegs are installed, in the folded position, there is a slight los of ground clearance. In real world aplication it's a loss of about 3 degrees of lean angle which is no big deal for me and my riding style. Thanks again.
    I have size 14 feet and I keep stumping my toes