Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

MotorRunning
    I just finished installing them Saturday and was heading out Sunday to test them. However, about 2 miles from home my RT just died - quit running - and won't start up, just cranks over. Had to call a tow truck to get me & the bike home. I hope to get the bike into the dealership tomorrow (they're closed today), get it running again. I am planning a quick weekend trip to Moab, Utah this coming weekend. Assuming it all works out, I'll give you feedback when I return.

I did not care for the gray/silver color so I had them painted a satin finish black. IMHO this "hides" the mounting bracket and makes it less conspicious when the pegs are folded inward when not in use. The install was really straight forward no problems with clearance. I installed the mounting brackets first without the pegs, then later adjusted and installed the pegs to fit my short legs (29" inseam). First impression sitting on the bike in the garage seeems like it will be comfortable, my legs don't rub agains the lower part of the fairing, like other systems I've checked.

NOW if it would just start......

Good luck Frank. I'm looking forward to your full report on the pegs.

1analguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    This place isn't owned by Billy Pilgrim is it?
    LOL...that's a good one...

Toadmanor
    [QUOTE=MotorRunning;576040]I just finished installing them Saturday and was heading out Sunday to test them. However, about 2 miles from home my RT just died - quit running - and won't start up, just cranks over. /QUOTE]

Did the Ilium pegs cause the kill issue?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsi View Post
    Found these by chance on the web yesterday.

In short: Anybody tried them yet?

I have struggled quite a bit with finding a good highway peg solution for the RT. Most of the ones that use the cylinder head as a mount point wouldn't be that great for me - the splayed position looks pretty uncomfortable given the wide fairing. What I've done currently is mounted some clamp-on Kuryakyn pegs on my Touratech engine guard. That's been pretty good for stretching my knees out from the achies, but they also scrape a bit too soon for my liking when they're folded out for use. This has also gotten me a bit hesitant to lean as much as I'd like to even when they're folded up. I'm in no way an aggressive rider, but I'd like to have my lean angle back for both safety margin and increased confidence.

These Ilium pegs look like they might do a nice job of curing that, but before I blow $300 (and the sunk cost of the old ones) I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried 'em out yet.

I just got 'em put on my RT... they work GREAT!! Provides another place to rest your legs and give some change to rear end position. I haven't been on a trip with them yet (that's coming in July to Colorado), but for the riding I've been doing around town, these things are great. Also, they fold away under the cylinder heads when not in use.

Fred Trimble

Ride & Install report

Well, comrades, I haven't signed on in a couple of months, so I failed to post an update on the pegs. I've got about 1000 miles on them and here are my impressions:

1) Ride & comfort. I've never had a set if highwat pegs before, so I'm not sure how a set works on other bikes at highway speeds. At midwest speeds (speedlimit + 10 in my extensive experience), I notice a couple of things. One is that the sides of the R1200RT fairing presses against my legs (see attached pic). Another is that in the knees bent position, I get a lot of wind angled up into the cockpit. Not bad in 80F + conditions, not so good in below 70F conditions. However, I discovered that, if I push back onto the rear saddle and straighten my legs, I don't get any re-directed wind (no pic available for that one). Also, in that position, I feel that my boots are more secure. In the bent leg position, I feel as though my boots may slip off. In general, the relief is different and better that moving to the passenger pegs.

2) Quality. 1st class equipment. I like them and, despite the stiff price, don't feel ripped off. BMW = Bring More Wampum.

3) Installation. One does have to remove the side tupperware to access the mounting locations. (more pics in following posts). I did have to get my Torx 55 3/8" drive socket turned down to fit in the rear mounting post hole of the pegs. Ilium was good with phone support.

Bottom line - I'm not sure. I've only done a couple of 200+ mile rides this year and I think those rides are the ones that will prove the worth of this add-on. I guess I'll have to just keep riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Fred Trimble

More Ilium highway peg pics #1 - installation

Got to strip it down this far.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Fred Trimble

More Ilium highway peg pics #2 - installation

Installed on the bike. The rear hole was too narrow for my 3/8" Torx socket. I had the socket turned down at work - helps to have a machine shop staffed by riding buddies.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Fred Trimble

More Ilium highway peg pics #3 - riding position

I'm 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Fred Trimble

More Ilium highway peg pics - what you get for $300

The allen wrench is for adjusting the position of the pegs on the rail.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Thanks for posting that info Fred. I have a practical question:
    Is it easy to flip the peg in and out while riding? How much hunting and pecking does this take or do you need to flip it out at a stop?

Thanks in advance.

Fred Trimble

Talking Flipping the pegs

After a little practice, (and with my size 13 boots), I have no difficulity flipping the pegs out. I did, at first, kept trying to flip the shift lever & rear brake pedal, but practice helped.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Thanks for the info Fred. I think I'll spring for a set!

LDHunter
    I just picked up a 2006 RT and found these on the net.
    http://www.hawksproducts.com/

Anyone tried them yet?

$bob$

Quote Originally Posted by 35675 View Post
    The allen wrench is for adjusting the position of the pegs on the rail.
    Please note: these do NOT work if you have Wunderlich engine guards. There is not enough clearance to install them. I received my pair, tried to install, asked Bob's BMW to help, and we couldn't do it. To their credit, the folks at Ilium agreed (after I sent them pictures) that the product did not fit Wunderlich bars, despite their previous claims to the contrary (they had installed spacers to make up for the slightly thinner bars). They gladly agreed to refund my money.

So I'm still waiting for some good quality highway pegs!
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite