Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: I Need a New Helmet

  1. #1
    Dum vivimus vivamus ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,574

    I Need a New Helmet

    First, let me say I have a Shoei head I have had Shoei helmets and like them, I was wearing my RF-900 with great result when I cracked some years ago. That said, my current Duo-Tec and System III Evolution helmets are begging to be replaced and I am in the market.

    I have tried on the new Shoei RF-1000 and the RF-1100 and both fit well in XL. I would buy right now if it weren't for the $400 price tag. I know the old adage, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet" but I tried on one of the new Scorpion EXO-700 helmets and found it to be also as nice a fit as the Shoei offerings (but in XXL, go figure), well made, light and only about $180.

    Any thoughts from people that have both and might be able to compare fit, finish, weight, and "quietness"?

    Thanks!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

  2. #2
    No bugs in winter OHScot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    311

    Pothings Nerfect

    Went from the Shoei 900 to the Scorpion EXO 1000.

    1) It is OK but not as plush/soft inside as the Shoei. Rubs a little after 2-3 hours. Even after taking all the labels out.
    2) Kind of heavy
    3) Rarely use the wiz bang sun shield but it is nice once and a while. It does have you looking through 3 surfaces ( I wear glasses).
    4) The ventilation does not seem to work as well as the Shoei RF 900.
    5) Will seriously look at the Arai next time.

    YMMV
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

  3. #3
    Dale Rudolph
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    579

    Ted;

    Helmetshop.com has the Shoei RF1100 in white for $288, metallics for $302, those
    were the prices a few days ago.

  4. #4
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    First, let me say I have a Shoei head I have had Shoei helmets and like them, I was wearing my RF-900 with great result when I cracked some years ago. That said, my current Duo-Tec and System III Evolution helmets are begging to be replaced and I am in the market.

    I have tried on the new Shoei RF-1000 and the RF-1100 and both fit well in XL. I would buy right now if it weren't for the $400 price tag. I know the old adage, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet" but I tried on one of the new Scorpion EXO-700 helmets and found it to be also as nice a fit as the Shoei offerings (but in XXL, go figure), well made, light and only about $180.

    Any thoughts from people that have both and might be able to compare fit, finish, weight, and "quietness"?

    Thanks!
    Hi, Ted --

    I know this is going opposite your price range, but if you ever want to try on my Schuberth Concept 3 (and then rationalize the extra cost as only a couple extra bux a month over 5 years ), most days I'm downtown (1001 Penn) with it.

    Best,
    Mark Neblett
    GULC '94

  5. #5
    Dum vivimus vivamus ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,574
    Mark! If not for helmet compares then lunch maybe?

    Ted Verrill
    GULC '94
    Last edited by Ted; 01-06-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,032
    Try the Helmet Shop in FL. Bought several from them -excellent service and good prices. CALL - don't pay any attention to posted prices on their website.
    Depending on color you should be able to get that 1100 for 250-300, I suspect, maybe even less.
    My Shoeis come from them.

    http://www.helmetshop.com/

  7. #7
    Brett
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Altoona pa
    Posts
    363
    Stay away from Nolen, noisy, and problems with all of the new face and sun shields scratching all the time. If I would not have plopped down $380.00 for this new one I would throw it in the garbage.

    Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa

  8. #8
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Mark! If not for helmet compares then lunch maybe?

    Ted Verrill
    GULC '94
    That would be good -- I haven't kept up with the class, and I left WRF in '99, so I haven't heard anything about your Dad for sometime -- lots to catch up on. This week and next are a bit crazy, but I'll give you a PM sometime after.

    Best,
    Mark

  9. #9
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,509
    I also have a "Shoei head" and have had a series of RFs (after going to Schuberth/BMW for a couple helmets). The Schuberth and BMW modular helmets fit nice at first but they all got loose and noisy after a while, and they didn't ventilate well. They were also very big and somewhat heavy.

    So I wanted to go back to a full face Shoei. I especially missed the little tab on the left that keeps the visor cracked open. For me, a helmet has to have good venting or it's too hot and stuffy.

    I eventually bought a full graphics Shoei X-11 about three years ago. It was NIB on eBay for $400 when they were going for $700 retail three years ago (even the solid colors were $500). Hunt around.

    The venting is great on the newer Shoeis, and the X-11 was significantly lighter than any of the modular helmets. Much smaller on the outside, too, so it didn't push my head around in the wind as much.

    Also, the Pinlock system works great in conditions that would fog up the shield.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  10. #10
    Registered User DJOHNSON141421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Escanaba, Michigan - Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    240

    helmet

    I always used an Arai which is a fine helmet as is the Shoei. I used both along with my wife having a shoei. Last year I purchased a Scorpion EXO 1000. I love it. I kept the clear shield on it and just use the flip down internal visor for the bright, sunny days. It is great. Having said this, I purchased a new EXO900 modular for my wife. It is also a great fit. She had a Shoei 900 for the past 5 years. IMHO, Scorpion makes a fine helmet at about half the cost of the shoei and arai. Nuf said. Most importantly,,,,, MAKE SURE IT FITS.

  11. #11
    Registered User sarelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jasper, IN
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    Stay away from Nolen, noisy, and problems with all of the new face and sun shields scratching all the time. If I would not have plopped down $380.00 for this new one I would throw it in the garbage.

    Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa
    I bought a Nolan N 103 and I wish I never did, It is very noisy and fogs up all the time. I have to crack the visor open just a bit to get rid of the fog. Save yourself the headace and stay away from it.

    Sarelp
    Burlington CO

  12. #12
    Dum vivimus vivamus ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,574
    As a followup, I bought a new helmet last weekend. I was down at Morton's BMW's winter rally event and saw they had a sale on helmets. I tried on a Shoei RF-1000, an RF-1100, an Arai ???, and the Scorpion EXO-700 and 1000. All fit fairly well but I was most impressed by the Scorpion 700, in both fit, weight and field of vision.

    They didn't have the day-glo I wanted but they did have white (I am thinking a little more visible than the dark blue helmet it replaces!)
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

  13. #13
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,520
    Congrats on a great Helmet...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

  14. #14
    warredon
    Guest
    +1 on the EXO-700 I've had mine for a couple of years now and love it. My Shoei and Arai stay on the shelf.

  15. #15
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by OHScot View Post
    Went from the Shoei 900 to the Scorpion EXO 1000.

    1) It is OK but not as plush/soft inside as the Shoei. Rubs a little after 2-3 hours. Even after taking all the labels out.
    2) Kind of heavy
    3) Rarely use the wiz bang sun shield but it is nice once and a while. It does have you looking through 3 surfaces ( I wear glasses).
    4) The ventilation does not seem to work as well as the Shoei RF 900.
    5) Will seriously look at the Arai next time.

    YMMV
    I replaced my Shoei RF1000 with an Scorpion EXO 1000.
    1) Didn't know it was less plush. No rubbing even after 12 hour days.
    2) Don't notice the weight.
    3) Constantly using the wiz bang shield, especially when riding in areas that go from shade to bright sunlight. Change the visor on the fly. I seldom need to wear sunglasses now.
    4) The ventilation not only works better than my Shoei RF1000, it does not increase wind noise like my Shoei does.
    5) Much, much quieter than my Schubert, very much quieter than my Shoei.
    6) Will consider another Scorpion next time.

    7) Impressive customer service. Check out the link below as to how I inflicted some damage to the Scorpion helmet and the company's response.

    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...corpion+Helmet
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •