Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on R1200RT horn - suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Donster View Post
    Many thanks for this great post. I printed it, took it to my dealer, they ordered the parts, installed them today, and I now have a LOUD horn! This is a must-have upgrade for an RT.
    Glad it worked out for you!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Horn

Thanks for sharing, this two tone upgrade is big improvement. Canadian parts are more but ar least installation is DIY. Highly recomended over relays and some aftermarket products. Why did they change it when it was OK in the first place? So we can have fun?

Cost savings I assume
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I got the Stebel Nautilus and it mounted on the same spot the OEM pancake mounted. Wired it up with a good relay (Bosch of course) and all is good. As I recall I paid around $39 for the Stebel.
    Edit to add:
    There is little or no delay in the horn sounding off when I hit the button, unlike some air horns that wait for the compressor to come up to speed.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Semper Fi (Luis) ,

I might be starved for oxygen up here at altitude in the Sierras, but your excellent pictorial on the horn installation shows one horn and the parts list shows two horns (hi and low). Before I order, could you help me understand the difference? With two horns ordered I assume one replaces the pitiful stock pancake horn on my 2009 RT and the other is added as shown. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Stan Moore
    Lake Tahoe, CA

Quote Originally Posted by 53133 View Post
    I assume one replaces the pitiful stock pancake horn on my 2009 RT and the other is added as shown. Is this correct?
    Yes.

Rally Rat

Horn

I will be installing a Stebel eventually on my RT but I will need a relay and several hours to take of the plastic and tank... Will have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by jimfastcar View Post
    I will be installing a Stebel eventually on my RT but I will need a relay and several hours to take of the plastic and tank... Will have to wait
    No tank removal necessary. In fact I installed my Stebel without removing any tupperware at all. Just reach up behind the front wheel, remove the old horn and mount the Stebel in the same location. No hassle at all.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

MAYLETT
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Count me on the side of "what good is a horn anyway?" It's all over should you think you need to use it. If it broke, I wouldn't know it until the next state inspection.
    Despite this being a thread about louder, better, deeper more melodic horns, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on this one. I don't recall ever using the horn on my RT except one time when I was curious about how it sounded. As I recall, it seemed loud enough ÔÇö an ugly, squawking sound to be sure, but good enough considering that I've never had much use for it in the first place.

I've noticed that vehicle horn use often differs from one region to another. Around here, it's rare to hear anyone use a horn. Honking a horn is considered to be a bit rude and will result in dirty looks from other drivers. I've been in places ÔÇö large cities mostly ÔÇö where non-stop horn honking seems to be the norm. Personally, I like it quiet.

In this area we are inundated with bicycle vermin. I toot my horn as I approach from the rear as they tend to swerve into the vehicle lanes without warning or reason.

Bicyclists Vermin? Hardly...

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    In this area we are inundated with bicycle vermin. I toot my horn as I approach from the rear as they tend to swerve into the vehicle lanes without warning or reason.
    Good tactic. That said, Marty, there are some on this board who ride a human-powered set of two wheels also. I have found that a rear-view mirror mounted on my left handlebar (and checked every five seconds or so while riding) keeps me out of trouble.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

MAYLETT
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Good tactic. That said, Marty, there are some on this board who ride a human-powered set of two wheels also. I have found that a rear-view mirror mounted on my left handlebar (and checked every five seconds or so while riding) keeps me out of trouble.
    I spend nearly as much time on a bicycle as I do on a motorcycle, and I most definitely don't appreciate people behind me honking their horns ÔÇö it's startling. Whether meant as a friendly warning or not, it's impossible during that split second to correctly interpret it as a friendly signal, a threat or an immediate danger.

When possible, I don't ride in traffic, and when I do, I keep myself well aware of what's going on around me, and try to stay as out of the way as much as possible. Still, a bicycle, in most areas, has just as much right to the road as a motorcycle. There are instances when a toot from behind might be needed with some less-than-careful cyclists, but as a standard procedure when approaching a cyclists from behind, I think it's more likely to startle the cyclists into an accident than it is to prevent one.

TourNut
    Unless the bicyclist is deaf, most people can hear an engine coming up on them from behind, electric vehicle may be another story. because the bicycle is making a bit of noise ,too. drowning out tire noise of electric vehicles.

RTFlyer
    I plan on the Stebel soon myself.

As far a bicyclists, I try to give a quick beep-beep from a good distance before I come up on them just to let them know I'm there. I do it out of courtesy; no malice intended, and I think it's usually taken in that spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by 53133 View Post
    Semper Fi (Luis) ,

I might be starved for oxygen up here at altitude in the Sierras, but your excellent pictorial on the horn installation shows one horn and the parts list shows two horns (hi and low). Before I order, could you help me understand the difference? With two horns ordered I assume one replaces the pitiful stock pancake horn on my 2009 RT and the other is added as shown. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Stan Moore
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Stan - not a problem - I added a second horn - the orginal horn is still maintained.

My 08 came one single horn but they (BMW) left the wiring harness for the second horn still on the bike.

The taped connector that I reference is in the install should still be there on the 09.

I just bought the second horn with moutiing bracket and hardware and just mounted it.

Very simple and all OEM.

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator