Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on R1200RT horn - suggestions?

Question?

In close encounters with cages(cars), whats first, your horn button or your brakes? OR maybe both, if you're really good! I'm a brake guy first and horn guy 2nd, but do find the topic interesting enough to want more horn too. My GSA1200 is weak there too. MY KLT was first rate in horns and I wonder where the logic is, when a company changes a good thing? Anyhow, I had to ask just HOW a horn saves anybody, when its an after the fact, finger approach kind of thing. NOT many are saved from cars cutting you off, when the action has already occured by the time you hit the horn! Yes?
    I HAVE been in other countries where the HORN is a defensive driving tool and they "wear it out", approaching intersections, etc. and its scary riding in a Cab(Taxi) the first time in one of those places. Been there, done that...Maybe they'll just hear me coming, blasting my horn, throttle up!
    Some interesting discussion. Happy Trails, Randy

When I need my horn I turn my left turn signal on.

When I first got this thing I found myself honking at people trying to turn the left signal on - took some getting used to the positions, had to train my thumb!
    Andy
    His: 2009 R1200 RT, in Biarritzblau
    Hers: 2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie

Funny point:)

Me too, in a panic to blast someone in a close call situation, I still do the brakes first thought thing and my horn is HARD to find, with signals coming on, etc...Seems a horn button should be much larger and easy to apply! NOT so easy to miss...I know this has happened to nearly every rider, so fess up. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsi View Post
    When I first got this thing I found myself honking at people trying to turn the left signal on - took some getting used to the positions, had to train my thumb!

Hey one of the benifts of the new switch-gear is no more "angry left turn signals"
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

MrGrocer
    Chop that pathetic stock horn out and install a Stebel. It's the first thing I do with a new bike. My 08 GS has ESA and I really had to shoehorn the thing in but I've got a 140 decibel Stebel in. It will open the eyes of the most indifferent cager.

Count me on the side of "what good is a horn anyway?" It's all over should you think you need to use it. If it broke, I wouldn't know it until the next state inspection. And the RT switchgear is so weird I'd need to practice for an hour anyway. Even the hi beam switch is non-ergonomic with gloves on- too small , not textured and too stiff. First bike I've owned where essentially all the switchgear sucks from an ergo standpoint but the rest of the bike makes up for it. For some reason, cars don't cut me off-only had 1 make a slightly inept lane change in my direction in the last couple years and I anticipated it - no drama. A couple have pulled out from intersections a wee bit tight but nothing dangerous...I just run the HID add on lights in those spots now. More worried about drunks/druggies and the distracted crossing the center, etc on country roads- we've got a lot of those little crosses lining country roads around here and several dealers selling 49 cc"liquor cicles"as they're called here that are a pretty good indication of how many inebriates not yet caught are out there- a horn wouldn't do any good.

Of course, I don't live in or near Boston and run 93 into town anymore either....
    That was a lot more "entertaining" than here in NC.

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrocer View Post
    Chop that pathetic stock horn out and install a Stebel. It's the first thing I do with a new bike. My 08 GS has ESA and I really had to shoehorn the thing in but I've got a 140 decibel Stebel in. It will open the eyes of the most indifferent cager.
    Will the stebel (and which one do you use) fit in the spot Semper Fi indicated? At will it hook up easily?

I have the Stebel Magnum on my R1200GS and it fit on without any mods.
    I have read of the Stebel Nautilus being louder but not lasting a long time.

TourNut
    I saw a Stebel and it looked just like the $40 , 139 decibel "Bad Boy" I bought at Meijer. There is an all chrome version out there also but not very useful , covered by a RT fairing. They are loud though, wow. I , too , use the brakes first, and end up rarely using the horn, but at least I have it now, when I really do need it.

Donster
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    The 2008 RT has an unused wire harnes that you can add a second oem horn.

A plug and play operation:

Here is the location of the extra connector (you can almost see it if you remove the left mirror and look towards the frame mount

Here is where it would mount:

Here is how it looks mounted

Mounted view with plastic on

The parts you will need

Complexity of work - remove plastic and front nacelle of which we have DIY's for:

Plastic Removal - note you only need to remove the two outer panels not everything

Link for removing the front headlight nacelle
    Many thanks for this great post. I printed it, took it to my dealer, they ordered the parts, installed them today, and I now have a LOUD horn! This is a must-have upgrade for an RT.

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Any suggestions for a better horn (than the stock one) for an 2008 R1200RT?
    A wheezing squirrel with emphysema?...

wharthog
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    +1 Every time...

I just installed the FIAMM Highway Blasters (both high and low tones) on my R1100RT. It sounds like an old Buick now. Just what I wanted.IMG_1127.JPG

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    When I first got my Goldwing, I repeatedly scared the crap out of myself by hitting the horn button while trying to hit the left turn signal. Took a while to get used to having one switch.