Thread: Going to Germany...

Going to Germany...

I will be going to Germany on business trip end of January, so I am pretty sure will not be planning any time for riding. Will be in the Heidelberg area and will have a few days vacation. Looking for suggestions for visiting:

- BMW dealers
    - Assessory companies like Hornig or Wunderlich
    - motorcycle museums

2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

I lived in and around Heidleburg for almost 6 years. Can't say I know where any of the things you asked about can be found; there is a BMW dealer of course, I just do not recall where it is. I can recommend a few places to eat. Zum Golden Rose in Kirchheim a few miles out of town is great; the Wormser on the Hauptstrasse down near the university is a pit... but I loved it. Walking the Hauptstrasse, the castle and strolling on the Necker are all worth your time.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 01-02-2010 at 05:20 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners club website has a great list of museums on this page:

http://vintagebmw.org/version6/index.php?q=node/24

Scroll all the way to the bottom. I can definitely recommend the Zweirad Museum in Neckarsulm and the two Technical Museums in Speyer and Sinsheim. At Sinsheim you can climb up into a Concorde and a "Concordsky" (Tupelov), among other planes on display. I recall that Speyer has a sub you can go through. The Zweirad Museum is in the hometown of NSU and has a lot of NSU bikes.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Wunderlich is 210 kilometers away in Sinzig. You'd take the A61 towards Bonn.

Touratech is just as far away in another direction.

+1 on the Sinsheim Tech museum.
    They have a lot of really neat machines; a good number of automobiles and also motorcycles. You could easily spend half a day there.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Bob
    There's a museum of transportation technology in Berlin, or at least there was in 1988. I think it was in an old locomotive house, as I recall.

Might want to check this place - http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Hello.html - I always intended to do it, but never made it.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    There's a museum of transportation technology in Berlin, or at least there was in 1988. I think it was in an old locomotive house, as I recall.
    I was there a few(3?) years ago. It's interesting but not great.
    The tech museum in Sinsheim is orders of magnitude better, IMO.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Bob
    I couldn't exactly leave West Berlin at will to go exploring other museums.

Later on, I was stationed in reunified Germany, and as with my other overseas assignments, most of my sightseeing was not directed towards transportation technology.

Germany...

Thanks everyone, this gets me started.

I especially liked the places to eat recommendations.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

Bob C
    Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    Thanks everyone, this gets me started.

I especially liked the places to eat recommendations.
    It's a REAL downer, but if you get the chance (nothing in Germany is more than 8 hours away).. go to Dachau.

I won't say lifechanging, but will remember it forever. i went when I was 9 years old, and remeber it like it was yesterday.

A LOT of castles around Heidelberg.. used to be a lot of breweries too, but I know with the change of laws to allow Anheuser Busch into the country a lot that I remember are out of business.

One of my favorite things to do in Germany was to go on a Volksmarch. These are 10 or 20 Km walks through the Germany countryside, normally done on Sundays. The typical Volksmarch is held in a small village. The walks start as early as 0700 hrs. and there is normally a fest tent with coffee and pastries for before the walk and beer and brats for after. We used to go to run them; on more than one occasion I found myself 40Km from home having completed a 10Km run and having gulped a liter or more of beer... all before 0900hrs. And, you typically got a stein or huge medal for your efforts.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost