Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Redmond Oregon Rally

I've never been to a rally before, so excuse me if this is a stupid question. Is the first day of the rally (july 15, in this case) mostly an arrival day for attendees with few activities, or do most people arrive the day or evening before?

Not a stupid question at all Bigsur. Registration opens mid-day Wednesday the 14th. There is a full slate of activities beginning early on the 15th. Many folks arrive on Wednesday. Set up volunteers start work even earlier.

Something that does often suprise 1st time rally goers is how fast the place turns into a ghost town on Sunday.
    Live this day.

Thanks for the info, wanderer. I'll look forward to saying hello in person next July 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Not a stupid question at all Bigsur. Registration opens mid-day Wednesday the 14th. There is a full slate of activities beginning early on the 15th. Many folks arrive on Wednesday. Set up volunteers start work even earlier.

Something that does often suprise 1st time rally goers is how fast the place turns into a ghost town on Sunday.
    Tagging onto this reply. The Chartered Club Leadership Summit will be held all day on Wednesday and most folks attending will arrive on the 13th. Look for more info on the Chartered Club web page and forum.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

2013 BMW MOA Rally Chair bmwDeb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brase View Post
    That's one hell of a commute, Deb.

John
    You got to do, what you got to do to make ends meet.
    Bringing the R1150RS to Redmond?

Deb
    Deb

A Central Oregonian local

Hi, I'm John, a local in the area of the rally. I'm Deb's gopher for the rally. (never ask Deb a question about a national, it seems to get you volunteered LOL Panquitch 2000: "Deb, does the national ever have a thing like bike rescue?" "Yes we do and you know a local usually runs that". Can we say fish on. Don't know if you remember that Deb.)

If you have some questions about the area and Oregon, I'll try to be of service. I've been in Central Oregon for 28 years and lived in the NW all my life. I know the area fairly well between riding and working in every corner of the state.

I'm rather proud of our state so be prepared for a glass 3/4 full answer.

I'll try to remember to come back here often. (old brain).

John Beeson
    Sisters, OR

ksport
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Forget a hotel or motel room in Redmond. I called them all the day after I received my ON. Nothing Available!

Jack
    There are still available in Bend, which is about 20 miles or so. I got mine reserved this weekend. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    3 of us from work are all coming up from Central CA for our first rally. For those coming from our area, how about a fun route? I hate to just hop on I-5 & miss some other routes. Thinking of riding up Highway 1, then over, not sure if that can be done in 2 days, or if it would take more.

John.
    Yeah, skip 5 (yawn) plus it will be hotter than heck in July. I've done Highway 1/101 north and over to Bend in a day from the Bay Area. It's about 650 miles. Long day of riding and you'd add time since you're coming from the central valley.

If you have the time, take a couple days to ride up Hwy 1/101 to Crescent City and then take 199 to Grants Pass, take a slight detour up to Crater Lake. After Crater Lake it's a straight shot up Hwy 97 in central Oregon to Redmond. 97 can be hot and boring too though. If you go 199, go early in the morning before the RVs and tourist cagers get on the road.

If you want to crank out some slab miles first, you could also ride up 5 to Red Bluff and cross over to the coast on 36 or go to Redding and take 299 over. Both are excellent moto roads!

Marty
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    For those coming from our area, how about a fun route? I hate to just hop on I-5 & miss some other routes.
    John.
    From LA get off I-5 at Fraiser Park at the Tehachapi crest and ride Forest Hwy 95 down to Hwy 166. Take that west to Santa Maria, and north on 101 to San Miguel take Indian valley road to Hwy 25 to Hollister, then east on 152 back to I-5. Roll north to Red Bluff and take 36 to Hwy 3 through Hayfork, past Hwy 299 and through the Trinity Alps. At Fort Jones go on the Scott Valley Road to 96, then west to Happy Camp to Indian Camp road to Hwy 199 in Oregon. (that road is a hoot!) Take 199 north and it will meet up with I-5 in Grants Pass. Then go east (south) on I-5 to Hwy 234 to 62 and that will take you up to Crater Lake. From there you are on the east side of the Cascades closing in on Redmond where you may want to take a little nap.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Forget a hotel or motel room in Redmond. I called them all the day after I received my ON. Nothing Available!

Jack
    Prineville is just 11 miles east of Redmond and is where we got our rooms...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

KGADLEY01 and Bend Motels

Actually Prineville is about 20 miles east of Redmond.

Bend Motel, try Sugarloaf Mountain Motel. It was not listed in the News, Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRBeeson View Post
    Actually Prineville is about 20 miles east of Redmond.

Bend Motel, try Sugarloaf Mountain Motel. It was not listed in the News, Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.
    Ok, maybe its 20 miles. I'm going tomorrow for an eye exam. we're staying at the Best Western.
    AKA SNAPGADGET

Where and when is the pre-registration. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Never mind-found it

"REGISTRATION

When does Pre-Registration start and end?

Pre-Registration form will be in the BMW MOA Anonymous Book, the March issue of BMW Owners News and found on the http://www.bmwmoa.org Web site in early March. Pre-registration ends June 30."

Found in the home page.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

OK everyone, today we canceled our reservations for the Best Western in Prineville. We had two rooms reserved. for anyone still looking for a room here's your chance....
    AKA SNAPGADGET