Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K75 hard luggage/panniers

Same bags on my newly acquired K75C.
    Frank
    '86 K75C a.k.a Magic Carpet

Better late than never

Lots of great ideas in this thread.

Tessler (12/17) is right about a bag liner - at least in one side for clothes and toiletries when touring.

Ron Cooper and Ted are both right on about how to get the cases on and off. They just forgot to mention how you have to hold your mouth right and then fiddle a bit. The ONLY person who could steal your cases is another BMW owner - even if you don't lock the cases to the bike, though I can't think of any reason not to.

Ted, I didn't realize my Shoei would fit in the case - but it does. Great idea for stops on local rides!

Ted, your remark about hard luggage being leg savers had never occured to me before and I've never read it elsewhere. I've had two motorcycle accidents (a low speed low-side, and a low speed head-on collision with another motorcyclist.) I emerged totally unscathed from the first - I, to this day, don't know how, and was able to ride the bike home. It cost about $1000 to fix the plastic and replace the "engine protection" bar on the left side and also fix the left saddle bag. The second collision totalled my K75 and did bad things to my left leg; now almost totally healed. That collision caused me and the bike to topple to the right. While the engine protection bar was probably helpful, I never even thought about that right saddle case being helpful in preventing further injury. I'm almost certain it did. This idea deserves wider circulation.

If you live in a cold climate where your bikes are not ridden for 4-6 months of the year, I would suggest that you remove that plastic hard luggage and keep them someplace above freezing. Not scientific, I know, but many plastics get brittle in freezing temps. Why take the chance?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Ted, your remark about hard luggage being leg savers had never occurred to me before and I've never read it elsewhere.
    Having lowsided on a 600 Ninja and having a matching lowside on a K1100RS with hard bags (I stay off the FUN hidden little road off Mass Ave. behind Jack Kent Cooke's house now) I can tell you from first-hand experience the results were remarkably different With the Ninja the bike slammed onto my leg, trapping it between the bike and the road and taking me along for the slide. With the K11RS, the bike thumped onto the left rear bag (it emerged surprisingly undamaged) and went one way as I went another, sliding a little and also emerging surprisingly undamaged.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Having lowsided on a 600 Ninja and having a matching lowside on a K1100RS with hard bags....
    dude, you fall over too much!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Hah - it is not the frequency but the ferocity

Besides, I've turned over a new leaf in the last decade
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Yeah, right!!! Of course, having a wife might have something to do with it!
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

sure hope that doesn't mean exchanging low-siding for high siding!!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Lots of great ideas in this thread.

Tessler (12/17) is right about a bag liner - at least in one side for clothes and toiletries when touring.

Ron Cooper and Ted are both right on about how to get the cases on and off. They just forgot to mention how you have to hold your mouth right and then fiddle a bit. The ONLY person who could steal your cases is another BMW owner - even if you don't lock the cases to the bike, though I can't think of any reason not to.

Ted, I didn't realize my Shoei would fit in the case - but it does. Great idea for stops on local rides!

Ted, your remark about hard luggage being leg savers had never occured to me before and I've never read it elsewhere. I've had two motorcycle accidents (a low speed low-side, and a low speed head-on collision with another motorcyclist.) I emerged totally unscathed from the first - I, to this day, don't know how, and was able to ride the bike home. It cost about $1000 to fix the plastic and replace the "engine protection" bar on the left side and also fix the left saddle bag. The second collision totalled my K75 and did bad things to my left leg; now almost totally healed. That collision caused me and the bike to topple to the right. While the engine protection bar was probably helpful, I never even thought about that right saddle case being helpful in preventing further injury. I'm almost certain it did. This idea deserves wider circulation.

If you live in a cold climate where your bikes are not ridden for 4-6 months of the year, I would suggest that you remove that plastic hard luggage and keep them someplace above freezing. Not scientific, I know, but many plastics get brittle in freezing temps. Why take the chance?

I don't think I'd be overly concerned about cold. These bikes were designed and built in Northern Europe. Not exactly the tropics!
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Cold didn't crack mine.

I low sided mine on a frozen bridge (long story), didn't crack the bag just scraped it up.