Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K75 hard luggage/panniers

K75 hard luggage/panniers

I've written to Don and Brian, but haven't heard back, so I am posting to all:
    You're going to think me really, really stoopid, but...
    the BMW side cases on my new old K75 (see photo) have handles on them
    that make me think one can easily take them off their mounts and bring
    them into the house, pack them and then mount them to the bike and
    drive off to, say, a hotel, and then bring the bags up to the hotel room once arrived. But that's not true, is it??
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, it's true. You must be having problems. I have the same setup. Most of the problem is in sliding the the bag slightly forward after the lower attachment point has been pulled away from the z bar. Give that a try and see if that will helps.

It's true, but (IMHO) there's a tad more efficient way of packing and keeping your property/valuables/possessions with you when you travel, without having to resort to mounting and remounting your side cases: dedicated liners.

Bob's BMW sells Kathy's Journey Design liners. I use them for my K75 system cases and can attest to their convenience and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    No, it's true. You must be having problems. I have the same setup. Most of the problem is in sliding the the bag slightly forward after the lower attachment point has been pulled away from the z bar. Give that a try and see if that will helps.
    My 91 must be different because I move the bag to the rear and then wiggle it off.

I usually pack a small bag in each saddlebag when touring and leave the saddlebag in place.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

It is easy.

1. Open and unlatch bottom latch.
    2. Lift up and tilt bottom out.
    3. Slide back a little.
    It will come right off. Putting back on is the exact opposite.

You appear to have the newest of the three types of hard cases fitted to classic K Bikes. The first used flat latches and a strap handle. The second, round tumbler latches and a strap handle. The third and best, round tumblers and a plastic handle.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Well I knew it slid one way coming off and the opposite going back on. Or vice versa. Sorry for the bad info. I will try to do better.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    And once you get it down, it becomes second nature. However, the dedicated liiners really are the ticket. Water resistent versions are wise as the seals on the bags tend to degrade...
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

The Kathy bags are OK, I have them and use them. You can wash them with Nikwax to provide a little bit of waterproofing should your bag leak. BMW actually made a set of bag liners specifically for these bags - same color scheme as the Multivario bags and rare as hen's teeth - they are really excellent and I would love to have a set myself. RKA also makes an excellent pair here.

I try not to remove the bags, they not only hold a full-face helmet, they lock onto the bike and provide an excellent cushion should the bike fall over (they bend - and when they do crack from really hard go-overs and low-sides, they are much cheaper and easier to replace than fairing parts.) Lastly, having low-sided myself with bags on, they are actually a nifty safety device, keeping the bike off of legs. With my lowside all I had to do was replace the $5 hinge at the bottom (and put a sticker over the scratches )

As an aside, if this is a new bike for you check carefully two things... First, as 58058 mentioned above, the rubber gasket that fits in the bike-side half's channel - these get crushed and degrade over time allowing water to seep into the bag in really heavy rain. I haven't priced the replacement lately but last time I checked it was pretty cheap. Second, the bags use two strips on the bottom of the bags as hinges - they do go bad over time and are cheap and simple to replace.
    Last edited by Ted; 12-17-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Well I knew it slid one way coming off and the opposite going back on.
    Haha - I haven't taken the bags off in so long that you may indeed be right
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

10-4 Ted. Gotta agree with 58058. I use the BMW liners.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    +1 Nickwax (wash & treat with the 'Stitch) for the Kathy's liners - always like the BMW ones but never owned a set
    10-4 on the body protection as well, kept me from getting trapped under the bike at a stopsign. I also actually preferred that style of locking to the newer style on the 1200RS, seemed more secure to me.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    +1 Nickwax (wash & treat with the 'Stitch)
    10-4 on the body protection as well, kept me from getting trapped under the bike at a stopsign.
    Ditto, on the body protection. (Hey Jim from the Seagull. )

Here in the big apple, the bags are a great defense from the distracted efforts of cage drivers, when parked as we do, in between cars.

Dale Rudolph
    These are the same bags I have on my 92 K75RT, no matter how many times
    I've done it, I always have trouble getting them off. They can be moved forward
    and backward about an inch, but they have to be in exactly the right spot with
    just the right upward lift or they don't come off.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    These are the same bags I have on my 92 K75RT, no matter how many times
    I've done it, I always have trouble getting them off. They can be moved forward
    and backward about an inch, but they have to be in exactly the right spot with
    just the right upward lift or they don't come off.
    Same here.

(However, the ones on my R1100RT go on and off soooooo easily.)
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Easier with age.

Mine are so worn (new in 86) that they just pop off with little effort.

Taking them off and into the house/motel to pack/unpack has always been my method.

As far as bag liners go. I pack all my stuff (clothes) in zip lock bags, squeezing the air out so I have a bunch of "vacuum packed" packages, allows me to pack more in a small space. Additional trick, put t-shirt, socks, and shorts in one bag. Make up a couple sets so that you don't have to open a bag of socks then one of shirts....