Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Now cut a hole in the floor so you can flush mount your lift!

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...ycle-lift-ins/

I needed to do this as I store a cor over the lift and the lift on the floor was to high.

RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

That is intense! I see some nice toys in there including the Oxy/Acetylene welder. We need a "show your shop" post. I'm more interested in your tools and shop than the hole!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

now thats a great Idea...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Here ya go

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...tool/man-cave/

More here:

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/machine_tool/

I love welding.....The shop has O/A, MIG and TIG........."Welding is knitting for men!"
    Last edited by RoyB; 01-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Very nice, I have one less bike and no Porshe. but other wise looks alot like my man cave. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Mod for extending the front wheel stop

I donÔÇÖt use the front wheel vice. I use the center stand. When I roll the bike onto the lift and put it on the center stand the bike pulls back 11 inches which moves the bike back past the center point of the lift. I fabricated this front wheel stop to extend the stop 11 inches forward so that when the bike pulls back when put on the center stand it is more toward the center of the lift.
    Name:  photo1.gif
Views: 1732
Size:  137.0 KB
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS

Mod for extending the front wheel stop

The angle iron on the underside provides reinforcement for the lift surface.
    Name:  photo2.gif
Views: 1571
Size:  133.2 KB
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS

That is a good idea, and very cool. You must be a welder!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaltzg View Post
    I donÔÇÖt use the front wheel vice. I use the center stand. When I roll the bike onto the lift and put it on the center stand the bike pulls back 11 inches which moves the bike back past the center point of the lift. I fabricated this front wheel stop to extend the stop 11 inches forward so that when the bike pulls back when put on the center stand it is more toward the center of the lift.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

No welding necessary

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    That is a good idea, and very cool. You must be a welder!
    Thanks, and I have been a welder by trade, but this mod can be done with a drill and a hack saw. The only welded part is visible from the first picture. I welded the wheel support pieces to the angle iron brackets, but there is no need to weld. Actually, those two pieces could be pop riveted in place.(any thing to keep them from moving around) The strength comes from the angle iron and the support from the bottom piece.
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS

Electric Lift

Here are the pics I promised of the HF electric lift.

I added traction strips as this lift is not diamond plate.

Raised with the wheel chock in place

My RS on the lift. I am going to move the chock further forward as the rear tire is just on the main part of the lift table. The controls come mounted under the front of the table. I moved them up on the deck.
    Doug
    '04 R1150GSA, '96 K1100RS SE, '94 K1100LT, '84 Honda VF700 Interceptor

Thanks, and I have been a welder by trade, but this mod can be done with a drill and a hack saw. The only welded part is visible from the first picture. I welded the wheel support pieces to the angle iron brackets, but there is no need to weld. Actually, those two pieces could be pop riveted in place.(any thing to keep them from moving around) The strength comes from the angle iron and the support from the bottom piece.
    What size angles did you use? How long do they project beyond the bed of the lift? And what did you use to support the front tire between the angles? I am inspired!
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I don’t use the front wheel vice. I use the center stand. When I roll the bike onto the lift and put it on the center stand the bike pulls back 11 inches which moves the bike back past the center point of the lift. I fabricated this front wheel stop to extend the stop 11 inches forward so that when the bike pulls back when put on the center stand it is more toward the center of the lift.
    Very cool - I don't use my front stop and as the wheelbase of my wife's ST and my GT differ, this addtion would be great.

Where did you get all the parts?

I can't weld so it would be a bolt on activity

What size angles did you use? How long do they project beyond the bed of the lift? And what did you use to support the front tire between the angles? I am inspired!
    +1
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I have a Miller Matic 180 autoset MIG welder. I taught a 13 year old girl to weld. With the technology today, ANYONE can weld. Gas, TIG, and Stick take practice and skill, but MIG you can learn to weld decently in an hour.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

More details on the lift table extension

Name:  wheel stop.gif
Views: 3068
Size:  137.8 KB
    Here are some additional notes for the extension project.

Notes
    A. Main attachment bolts are 7/16 x 1ÔÇØ

B. Newly drilled holes in the lift table. These also match holes drilled in the bottom support drilled about 3/4ÔÇØ in from the end of the angle iron.

C. This is the original stop that came with the lift. I used it to establish the overall width of the extension.

D. These supports were cut from 1/8ÔÇØ X 3ÔÇØ flat stock. Welding is not necessary. A 1/4ÔÇØ bolt in end of each piece will work just fine. Most anything will work because youÔÇÖre just trying to keep the pieces from moving around.

E. I hammered the leading edge of the angle iron over so that it wouldnÔÇÖt damage the tire if I missed as I roll the wheel onto the extension. (not really necessary)

F. The bottom support is a piece of 1ÔÇØ x 1ÔÇØ x 1/8ÔÇØ angle iron cut to fit between the support rails on the bottom side of the lift. Drill holes to match the width of the extension. See note B
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I have a Miller Matic 180 autoset MIG welder. I taught a 13 year old girl to weld. With the technology today, ANYONE can weld. Gas, TIG, and Stick take practice and skill, but MIG you can learn to weld decently in an hour.
    Just listen for the sizzling bacon sound! The only downer is that with MIG, it is easy to make a weak weld, I think part of the education is learnign what is weak & what is strong, again, about an hour time!