Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

You did a fine job, it looks great. I won't do that in my shop since I like to roll the bike away when I'm doing a multiday job. With it on the stand, I can roll the stand with the bike on it into a corner or where I need it. But if you have the room, it's a great idea.
    I think I understand what youÔÇÖre saying. The reason for the sink is I lacked the room for a full size table in the middle of my garage, this way I have the lift and it takes up no room at all. When I want to do other things I just move the bike. It has also provided the unexpected benefit of an adjustable height work bench.

It's funny now that you mention it. Sinking the lift saves a lot of space when you are not using the lift. I could park over mine if I did that. Once a bike is on it, it 'eats up' space for me since I would not have the flexibility to roll the bike on the stand off into a storage area on longer projects!

I too use mine as a workbench, more specifically a welding and metal cutting table, so at least it does double duty for the space it occupies.

But again, you did a really nice job on sinking it.

My buddy has a drain in his garage floor which is nice when he washes cars or the floor with a hose. I'm thinking the ultimate is a sunken lift with drain in the pit!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

My buddy has a drain in his garage floor which is nice when he washes cars or the floor with a hose. I'm thinking the ultimate is a sunken lift with drain in the pit!
    I actually considered that until I looked into the local code and environmental regulations that would apply.

Yes, if you're going to let govt. get in the way, you can't do anything in America it seems. My buddy's drain just goes out back to the lawn, not to the city pipes. It's no different than washing your garage and aiming the water outside. It goes to the same place. But, still, he has his in such a way that if he goes to sell the house he can just cap it off to avoid any issues.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

As my (thanks to Ron White) Kupen is about to expire on the $299. HF lift....I thought I'd give this thread a bump and hang some tags on it so it is easier to find- once again. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Well....I went, I saw and I bought one. I just bought some steel for a project and as I look at the steel in the HF lift, I couldn't buy the steel for that kind of money locally. I kinda like the idea of wings and that extended "track" for the front wheel so I'll have to get thinking on adding a few pieces to it. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

What? What was wrong with laying/kneeling on the floor

I have been spoiled having room for more than one...had all full the other day and had to kneel on concrete doing work on another bike...my back and knees were not happy at day's end!

I need to modify one with that extended channel set up...one of these days

Enjoy the new "tool"
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Jack Herbst
    Harbor Frieght now $429 for manual in Tucson> (manual/hydraulic) no discount certificate.
    Located on West INA.

Jack
    J
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

I've been eyeballing the HF MC lift but I also found out that they do not sell them with the electric or Pneumatic lifts options anymore. I stopped at a friends shop today and he had the air type lift from HF he bought some years ago and loves it. The only difference I can see is that there is a pneumatic actuator looking gizmo underneath that raises this thing up. Is it possible to buy this thing anywhere and adapt it to this unit? I'm not trying to be a big whaaaa but I really don't want to be pedaling this thing to raise my bike. Anyone ever try this? If so how?

lifting front wheel higher when bike is on lift

hi all,

i bought this lift a month or so ago and i love it. i wanted to see what other people are doing in order to raise the front wheel higher than the center-stand will raise it, once it's up on the lift.

thanks,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

These lifts still sell on sale (every month!) for about $299. See your motorcycle rags for the coupons.

On occasion, when I need to lift the bike (usually the rear wheel), I use a floor jack on the lift.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

That lift in the floor is really slick. Kudo's. Unfortunately my garage (single) is pitched to the middle and center of the floor to a central drain so no go for me.

mike wex
    '96 r1100rt

I built a hydraulic lift for my bikes about 19 years ago, it sure beats crawling around on the floor.................Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

10 years now:)

Had my HFT lift 10 years now, not one issue. It began life lifting my KLT1200 and now a half dozen bikes later and my current GSA1200, still performs perfectly. I real workhorse lift. Mine is manual foot pump original model and not one leak or anything wrong in 10 years of a lot of use. That KLT was always over 800 lbs., no problem. I too use the table lift for a table work area when I need it. Sure has made life easy, servicing bikes and no knees on concrete. Im glad to see they still make this lift, as parts IF ever needed will be easy to get. Randy

I finally got one

With a $299.99 coupon that a friend gave me from the back of a Cycle World in hand I grabbed my brother and his van for a trip to a Harbor Freight store that had one in stock. I'd read up and knew to get some extra hydraulic oil (using the Harbor Freight 20% off coupon next to the lift coupon). I also had them throw in the free multi-meter that came with another coupon. We loaded the lift into the back of his van and drove to my place where the two of us were able to unload it and get it placed in the garage.

Yep... the lift needed about 4-5 oz of hydraulic fluid to top up the reservoir. I knew that the supplied wheel vice was crap. No problem. I've a Condor chock that will mount up quite nice. The lift platform has a lip that stick up about 15 mm and the Condor has a cross brace that stick out about 30 mm on each side of the platform when centered. The idea of cutting the Condor to fit didn?t appeal to me. Instead I made a vertical cut on the lip about 100 mm from the end of the platform with a dremel tool and bent the lip down by grabbing it with a large crescent wrench. A sanding drum on the dremel tool got rid of sharp edges. The red paint chiped off where I did the bending, of course. I should hit the areas of no paint with some primer to keep it from rusting. Later. I centered the Condor stand on the platform and then drilled two holes through the stand and platform. I used some of the hardware meant to mount the vice to attach the condor. Done. Works quite well.