Thread: cross country

Hybrid View

cross country

Hello all,

I'm heading cross country next year from NYC in July, and do not want to bypass the beauty of the midwest and the prairie states. I'd appreciate any recommendations from you guys about good routes to use in crossing from east to west across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and/or Nebraska. I'm open to several paths, as long as they go mostly from east to west, and avoid for the most part the interstates. I don't mind using the interstates to connect from one good route to another, and to bypass urban or other congested areas.

Any advice from you , the locals in these areas, would be very much appreciated.

In Nebraska, Hwy 2 west of Grand Island will take you through the Sand Hills. It's a nice ride and you can still make good time.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

TALLPAULS
    I'm not sure if you're interested in riding through National Parks or not, but I like to. Here's the link I use to help me plan my trips.
    http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm
    Last edited by TallPauls; 12-13-2009 at 03:48 PM.

From MARS
    Can you give us some parameters as to how far South/North you're willing to drift as you head West towards your final destination; wherever that may be?

I think this area of KS, specifically the Flint Hills, is really nice. There is less than 1% of the tall grass prairie left and most of it is right here b/c of the flint rock that made plowing these hills darn near impossible. From here, I would work my way North and pick up 36 or go on up to 2 in NE or head SW on 54 towards NM or take 56 due West depending on my final destination.

East of us, my route would meander along the centerline of the country; too far North and it gets pretty flat, too far South and it gets pretty flat and humid.

If you want to camp or need anything while in this area, just let me know.

Tom

Thanks for the info so far. I was thinking of heading either for the Denver area or Yellowstone/Grand teton NP first, so your suggestions are right on the money.

How about MO or Iowa? What do you recommend?

From MARS
    What are you riding, are you going back East, and how long do you plan on being on the road?

If you meander along the northern border of Kentucky towards southern MO, it gives you the opportunity to drop down into AR for some serious Ozark fun, or you can keep heading West. Iowa is nice, but .....

My ride to the Rally in Gillette, WY took me thru Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, and the Big Horn mountains before reaching Gillette. Most (99.9%) of the trip was on smaller two lane highways. I avoid large metropolitan areas like the plague, ride in general directions until I start getting close to the destination, and spend the evenings studying paper maps to kinda plan the next days ride. My advise would be to get an atlas and lay out a general plan. Then, get good state maps and pick your roads. Plan for all kinds of weather and temps. I didn't take my heated gear to WY and wished I had.

Tom