Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any HIGH milers on the HEX?

Any HIGH milers on the HEX?

I'm approaching 50000 on mine, a GSA1200'07. Just wonder'in where some are with theirs. I imagine many are over the 100k by now. Mine will most probably get there too, as I cannot afford another or even want to do another for a few years. Did anybody "finance" theirs, with BMW. I did(minimal $ down) and the strokes are 385$ per., so its kind of pricey to buy anything anymore. I'm not compalin'in, just rid'in and smil'in. I think I will break the 100k barrier on this bike, as only my second to do so in many, many BMWs past. My one true love BMW is still with me at 355000, but has been sitting a lot recently on the charger. R100/7'78 I bought new. These are the really "special ones", that have been with you so long. Know the feeling anybody? Randy

RTRyder
    I wish I could say I've done big mileage, but I'm almost ashamed to say that I've barely managed to rack up 8,000 miles on the RT in two years, far cry from the other end of this decade when I routinely logged 20,000 plus miles in a season. Sometimes life just gets in the way of the things you really want to do, or would rather be doing!

Looking at the bright side, the RT will probably last me a good long time at this rate...

I've got 70K+ on my left over 05 R1200RT, bought in 06. No problems. Regular dealer service. Expensive to operate, but totally reliable. 10 sets of tires. My extended warranty, unlimited miles and zero deductible, runs until April 2013
    Chuck Berry
    2005 R1200RT, 2009 G650GS,
    MOA #94523, IBA #27506 National Parks GOLD (still OLDEST at 69 in 2007)
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

2005 R1200RT Sort of high miles.

I have about 70,000 miles on the '05 RT and all is well both with the rear end and the engine. Regular service, I ride in an aggresive manner and don't baby the bike. While I also have two other BMWs, I hope to put another 70,000 on the bike before I am finished.

Dashbaw

British Columbia, Canada

K1300GT
    R1200R
    R1200RT

TALLPAULS
    Approaching 60,000 miles on my 07 RT. It has been very reliable! I also have the extended warranty, unlimited miles and zero deductible, which runs until February 2014. I'll be keeping her way past the 100,000 mile mark.
    Last edited by TallPauls; 12-13-2009 at 03:45 PM.

50,000 miles on my 05 RT (bought new in 06) -- all recommended maintenance. No problems to report.

Local guy has just about 100k on his '05 or '06 RT. Was 96k last I saw him but he was headed for Texas. One FD replacement and otherwise I think it's been pretty good for him.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Great;

Welcome"Dashbaw" and #1 posting here. Canada, much of my favorite riding done there, up North. All others , me too with extended warantee of 7 years on my '07 GSA, I bought new in '08Feb.., so its covered a LONG time to go yet. I've done about 25000 a year so far. I was thinking someone would chime in with 150/200k maybe on a Hex, as '05 was the first year, somebody must be UP there, or well over the 100 mark. Randy

andrewjones
    Got 94,000 on my 05gs. Just replaced the driveshaft with a used one, front u-joint went out. When repalcing the shaft I noticed play in the pinion shaft on the FD. Replaced it with a FD drive off a 07 that I bought off of e-Bay a few years back. Problem is the rear wheel sensor is different in the later models. So now my speedo & ABS are inop. San Jose BMW will rebuild the original FD for $450. This all is all bad timing as I'm presently going through a bad divorce after 18yrs of marriage, not to mention the timing of the holidays. So I'll just ride until better times with the 07 FD and use the GPS as a speedo. Bought the bike new and have done all service & work myself beyond the inital 600 mile service.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjones View Post
    Got 94,000 on my 05gs. Just replaced the driveshaft with a used one, front u-joint went out. When repalcing the shaft I noticed play in the pinion shaft on the FD. Replaced it with a FD drive off a 07 that I bought off of e-Bay a few years back. Problem is the rear wheel sensor is different in the later models. So now my speedo & ABS are inop. San Jose BMW will rebuild the original FD for $450. This all is all bad timing as I'm presently going through a bad divorce after 18yrs of marriage, not to mention the timing of the holidays. So I'll just ride until better times with the 07 FD and use the GPS as a speedo. Bought the bike new and have done all service & work myself beyond the inital 600 mile service.

out of curiosity, is there anyway you could machine the 07' fd to make it accept the sensor? i have no idea of the layout on the hexheads so this may not be possible at all. i only ask because when i got a 02' fd for my 99' R11S i sent it to a guy who machined a hole in the unit and installed a speed sensor wheel then reshimmed it for me. i think the expletive i let out upon arriving home and seeing there was nowhere for my speed sensor to go could be heard on the other side of town.

taran1900
    90,297 on my '05 RT. I've owned two airheads, one K, and three oilheads. My RT is by far the most reliable and easiest to maintain of all the beemers I've owned.

andrewjones
    Don't think so, the problem with the 05 is that the speed sensor hole is much smaller then the 07 & of course the sensor from the 07 doesn't jive with the 05's computor.

mileage

My '07 is in the 53,000 miles range and headed for Ted"s Beemer Shop and a Wilburs install this week. I love the bike and have farkeled it heavily. My Pinnacle extended warranty insurance bought me a new FD at 46K - surprise to have lost it as the bike and FD have been rigorously maintained and serviced by my certified BMW mechanic.

In 2010 the RT will see at least 4 rallies including the MERA 10 n' 10 - a good test of the latest FD.

My '00 GS with 145k or so on it lost its FD seal 2 weeks after the RT. It too has been rigorously maintained and serviced. This was less a surprise simply because of the mileage. The GS sees local business and pleasure commutes and is fun.

Yep, I would probably purchase another BMW because I don't see an alternative. If the Honda 700 comes in with good reports then it might be a consideration as an alternative - it's not really new as it's been in Europe for several years.
    peterb www.ppldma.com

'07 R1200 RT - LD ride w/ >145+K mi
    '00 1150GS w/ >165+K miles and more to come...

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    55K on my R120GS never stranded. 56K on my ex-GF's R1200ST and never stranded. 85K miles on my friend Kermit's R1200GS and never stranded.

All had the usual recalls and warranty repairs, but nothing major.

Jim

TourNut
    All of you that have extended warranties that go to 2014 or whatever, who do I contact for an extended warranty, my dealer never mentioned it when I bought my lemon, I mean 1200RT , Sept. '08. The way it is going for mine , I'll need one.
    How late can you get one before the 3-year expires ?