Thread: Woah. Mladin?

Woah. Mladin?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...-bmw-wsb-ride/

woah.

The rider is one thing, but the team is run by the guy that took Corser to the top in 1996 on a Ducati.

I've maintained all season that the difficulty for BMW will be with team management and establishing development processes for the bike. This would be a big step toward getting that solved.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

That would be really interesting. Dunno ... Mladin doesn't strike me as the type to announce retirement then come back. Especially with a non factory ride. Perhaps after seeing how Spies did, he can't resist a one year deal to test the waters??? He is getting up there in age but incredibly fit.

Would be a great development/test rider though. Probably the best anyone could find.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48

Interesting

For sure interesting, taken with many grains of salt, Mat has stated he wants to be a family man for a while.
    Also, he has been a died in the wool Suzuki guy for quite some time now, big business in Oz, hard to see him change. The S1000RR needs some taming, so with the new cam and mapping used at Portimao and the new in-house swing arm next year, Mladdin's smootheness along with Reg O'Rourke's genius, could only be a blessing for BMW.....if it has any truth.....Great article in the January RoadracingWorld on the S1000RR and how they did so well this year.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Wow!

I have always thought of Mat Mladin as a bit of a pr*ck but he is a very talented and detail oriented rider. As a development rider he took Yoshimura Suzuki from the butt of the paddock jokes to the supreme team in AMA Superbike. He proved to be an excellent mentor for Ben Spies who is on a rocket ship to success now in Moto GP, even though they had a bit of an adversarial relationship. Love him or hate him, success surrounds him.

This is exciting news.

I think BMW is very serious about their racing efforts built around the S1000RR. Time will tell, but the portents are encouraging.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...-bmw-wsb-ride/

woah.

The rider is one thing, but the team is run by the guy that took Corser to the top in 1996 on a Ducati.

I've maintained all season that the difficulty for BMW will be with team management and establishing development processes for the bike. This would be a big step toward getting that solved.
    I don't disagree with anything you have said. I am just curious about the part I put in bold. How does this move the factory team forward. Inzingher's team is a satellite team.

To Greg's comment BMW is serious about racing the bike.
    -WSBK factory and satellite teams
    - Supersport
    - BWM France is runing the return to endurance racing
    - more to come
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Sounds like Andrew Pitt will be the 2nd rider for the BMW Sat team... Not Mat.

That is what I am reading. Still Mladin may end up having a role in BMW Motorrad Motorsport if he is so inclined.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune