Thread: Bike to Bike Communication

Bike to Bike Communication

Hi all. I am contemplating installation of a bike to bike communication system and finding it hard to chose between the Chatterbox X1 and the J&M CB system. Currently I have a Zumo 550 with XM radio and just about 1000 songs on an SD, using in-ear speakers for the music and Zumo instructions... My intention is to connect the Zumo audio output to the Chatterbox/J&M audio input so I will be getting all the existing audio on the new headset. Compatibility with other bikes is a non-issue as my son, who rides his own bike, will receive the same system. I realize none of you use both systems so I am asking for your experience with the system that you use. Also, if there is a 3rd system that I am not aware of, I'd love to know more about it..

My questions are:
    1. What is the effective range of your system?
    2. How would you rate the quality of music channeled through the system?

I will welcome any pointers you may be able to provide.

Thanks a lot.

I have the J&M CB and Zumo 550 also with the Garmin XM receiver. The J&M has a separate volume control for the stereo audio input. The weather channel is great. CB overrides the audio input. The two units work flawlessly together. I estimate our CB range (my buddies have the same radio) is at least 2 or 3 miles. Both XM radio and MP3 audio quality are excellent (I have the wired J&M helmet headset with the higher quality speakers). This is the setup I would choose if I were doing it all over again. I had a Chatterbox unit several years ago. It was a piece of junk.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

If you have no interest in communicating with truckers or other CB users I suggest you look into FRS/GMRS radios. The quality of the transmission is far superior to CB and the ranges are equivalent. Most of the riders I ride with use the Kenwood FRS/GMRS enabled via the Autocom system.