Thread: Breaking in a Darien

Breaking in a Darien

Any advice?

Just got one and boy is it stiff. Seems much stiffer than any other new jacket I've tried on; guess that's a good thing as it indicates good protection, but it is not comfortable in this state.

How about multiple washings?
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I noticed the same thing with my Darien purchased 2003. I just rode miles and miles in it and it broke in slowly. With your home in Alaska this type of feedback isn't that helpful right now...

I'd bet washing would soften it up a bit.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Any advice?

Just got one and boy is it stiff. Seems much stiffer than any other new jacket I've tried on; guess that's a good thing as it indicates good protection, but it is not comfortable in this state.

How about multiple washings?
    Pull out the pads and put it in the dryer on tumble/air fluff (no heat needed) for an hour or two. Then wear it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I just wore mine...it keeps getting better and better. Enjoy...

Crow18
    Drag it behind the bike for about 50 miles. Be sure to take it off first.

(Since I, for some idiotic reason, refuse to use emoticons, I should just say here that I am joking. As usual. Do NOT try this. Above all, do not try this at home, because you will totally mess up your carpets.)
    Last edited by Crow18; 12-01-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: totally used "totally" one too many times

Quote Originally Posted by Crow18 View Post
    Drag it behind the bike for about 50 miles. Be sure to take it off first.

(Since I, for some idiotic reason, refuse to use emoticons, I should just say here that I am joking. As usual. Do NOT try this. Above all, do not try this at home, because you will totally mess up your carpets.)
    Dang. I wish I'd seen your disclaimer before I started dragging.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

I bought a new Darian along with the pants this time last year. It was 22 below zero at Aerostich the day I went in and ordered it. The lady who fitted me ask me if I rode my bike. There was like a foot of snow on the ground too.

Anyway, the suit breaks in pretty quickly. Here is the trick. Take all the pads out and wash it in the wash machine. Once with soap, two more time in just water. Throw it in the dryer and let it tumble for a while - no heat. Take it out, hang it to dry. Then wear it. I also should say I use Nik wash and the waterproof stuff they make as well.

Now that my suit is older, I wash it in the laundry tub in my shop by hand, letting it soak for quite a while. Rinse three times, then soak in the waterproof stuff for about 15 minutes. Then I rinse once, and hang it up to dry in the shop.

After one year, mine is quite comfortable. In fact, on days that I ride a bike to work, I leave the pants on all day. They are that comfortable.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

criminaldesign
    toss in a bag and go to town jumping on it and throwing against walls/floor

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Put it on and ride!

'02 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by Zygmund View Post
    Put it on and ride!

Not really a feasible course of action at the moment, but I will do so as quickly as possible.

I tried the wash and tumble for a couple of hours and it made a noticable difference. Since I can't go riding at the moment, I'm planning to wear it down to a local biker and pick a fight; that should get it pounded on a bit.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Roll down the street a few times and it will look like a seasoned jacket!
    '02 R1150RT

Snow angels would be even better...
    98 R1200C Canyon Red