Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your helmet when it is not being used?

Not in the Garage

Being in FL, I store my helmet in the house in AC. i think I can cook an egg in the garage. The garage is so hot so I don't store it there. I keep it on a shelf in my helmet bag if I don't plan on riding for a few days.
    Deepak Menon
    2006 Red R1200RT

Mine are suppose to go in the cabinet I bought to put only Motorcycle related stuff in. Located in my garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R and R

But all to often the helmet and jacket are on the bike ready to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R and R

lowflyr

Helmet storage idea

When I've "called it a day" and putting away my bike, the larger of the two paniers has proven to be a very convenient place to store my Shoei Multitech helmet and gloves. It's all there ready to go at the next opportunity for fun!

Helmet???? What helmet????

Seriously, I keep mine in a wall locker that I use for my riding gear. It is an old military vented locker, and I put in a low wattage light bulb so the bugs can see their way around when the doors are closed......it also helps keep the humidity down. If I have not cleaned it lately and I have to store it in the bag, I will put a scented Bounce anti static tissue inside the helmet to help keep the "funk" down.
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

According to helmet suppliers (the guys that sell them to the stores) and to AGV reps that we have spoken to, it is best practice to store helmets in a stable temp/low humidity environment when not being worn. Big temp variations are not the kindest thing to a helmet.
    For the vast majority of us, that means DON'T keep it in the garage.
    My daily helmet sits in the living room on a shelf of the entertainment center, while the others (yeah, i'm a gear whore) live in the bedroom closet.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Real cold a problem?

For some years now I've felt that real cold (this is Canada, eh?) did bad things to most plastic. I've had both styrofoam and hard plastic duck decoys break with the slightest provocation after spending several years in an outdoor shed. So when my bike comes off the road in early November, I store not only the helmets but also the BMW plastic luggage in my basement which is cool but always above freezing. During my 7 month riding season, the helmets live in a hall closet.

Possibly someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS SOMETHING about plastic could tell us whether long freezing spells actually do something bad to helmets and plastic luggage. I've heard it occasionally freezes in the US too, so you would be doing many of us a favor.

Year round, the bike (and bicycles) live in a lockable 8' X 12' shed - possibly the best $1500 I ever spent. So far, no thieves and no mice, though have found bat **** from the little critters who can get in under the eaves.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

XTrooper
    In its helmet bag and stored in the bedroom.

Dale Rudolph

Bckrider:

Thats a good question. I have the factory luggage bags that will be spending
    their first winter in Oregon where it does freeze for 4 months of the year. The bike
    was always in sunny S. California until I bought it in April. I will be keeping them
    in the den for the winter. Even BMW's have plastic parts that will have to stay
    on the bike through the winter, it would be interesting to know what effect
    temperatures below freezing have on these parts. The new helmet will be somewhere in the house also.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Kind of on topic: Lay your gloves out flat so the sweat evaporates out of them. Don't cram them in your helmet.
    Well crap. You just ruined my routine. Now what am I suppose to do with them. I gotta go think up a new routine and place to put them at the end of the day. Ignorance is/was bliss.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

RK Ryder
    I made a shelf in the garage a few years ago that sits right beside where the bike gets parked. Figured that the helmet would be safe with no real distance to move it between the bike and the shelf. Of course as I was making the shelf, the helmet which was carefully placed on some cardboard on the garage floor and I managed to kick it while working on the shelf.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    Mine are suppose to go in the cabinet I bought to put only Motorcycle related stuff in. Located in my garage.
    Very Nice...
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwJeff View Post
    Well crap. You just ruined my routine. Now what am I suppose to do with them. I gotta go think up a new routine and place to put them at the end of the day. Ignorance is/was bliss.
    The sweat will make them funky and will also rot the stitching. I lay mine on the seat of the bike or put them on the shelf with my helmet.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    According to helmet suppliers (the guys that sell them to the stores) and to AGV reps that we have spoken to, it is best practice to store helmets in a stable temp/low humidity environment when not being worn. Big temp variations are not the kindest thing to a helmet.

OK, I gotta ask....

If an approved, quality helmet is purportedly compromised by storing it in a garage where the temperature ranges from very cold to very hot with varying ranges of humidity as the seasons change, does wearing it in even more dynamic temperature and humidity extremes also compromise the helmet????

Seriously, I ride to work year-round here in Atlanta, Georgia. So, my helmet's shell is subjected to temps as low as 15?? ambient in January & February to temps that are easily well over 100 in July & August. The humidity inside the helmet is always high (such is the nature of a human head) regardless of the ambient temperature and outside humidity, the latter ranging from 20% to 100% on any given day at any given temperature. To make matters worse, I take my helmet into the office where it is quickly warmed to 72?? in the morning and then take it back out to near or sometimes below freezing temperatures in the evening.

Check me here, but given the aforementioned highly dynamic environment that a helmet must endure just in normal use, what makes the 'average' garage environment so bad for a helmet??

Just asking....

15. 12-01-2009, 05:20 AM

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post

OK, I gotta ask.... Check me here, but given the aforementioned highly dynamic environment that a helmet must endure just in normal use, what makes the 'average' garage environment so bad for a helmet??

Just asking....
    I've been surprised while reading this thread that I haven't read about the effect of the gasoline fumes compromising the styrofoam in our helmets. I thought that I had read (somewhere) that storing helmets in the garage was not good for that reason. It must have had some impact on me as I only leave my helmet in the garage during riding season, never during the winter.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333