Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your helmet when it is not being used?

Dale Rudolph

What do you do with your helmet when it is not being used?

I have a new helmet on order, it will be my first new one. What do you do with
    yours to keep it from being dropped or scratched when it is not being used?
    Keep it in a box?, hang it on the wall?, keep in in the house?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I keep mine on the kitchen table just to tick off the old lady.

But seriously, you ought to buy a case for it, or keep it in the box, especially if you don't ride in the winter.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Get yourself a nice Helmet bag. we won one made by Tourmaster at the National this past summer. I have a shelf in the garage that I built for the sole purpose of storing Helmets. with a Helmet bag you can also hang it on a hook.

TANDEMGEEK
    The one I wear every day sits on a shelf in the garage at home (garage temps range from low of 40 in the winter to 90 in summer) and on top of a bookcase at work.

The ones that don't get worn every day sit on the shelf in garage with my daily use helmet, but are stored in their Shoei helmet bags.

I've given up on worrying about scratches and minor drops; it's a helmet not a designer chapeau.

From MARS
    After each ride, I clean the bugs off and stick it in the bag that came with it. Then it goes into a chair in the bike-cave until I need it again. But I am going to build a shelf unit with glass doors this Winter. Then I'll store it in there.

Tom

At work, it sits on top of a handy file cabinet where it won't be disturbed. At home, it sits on a shelf in the garage, along with gloves. The shelf is held by two closet brackets; under the shelf is a clothes rod with the jackets, pants, Gerbing's, etc.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

When we remodeled the kitchen two years ago, the microwave shelf was flawed. There was a seam in the wood laminate that was very noticeable. The cabinet maker replaced it but did not want the original back. We hung it in the garage and found that it holds two helmets nicely. That's where they live when not being worn.

It sits in top of the gear dresser on the front porch. Or on the workbench in the shop. It depends on where I parked; by the door or in the shop.

Being cautious, I wear it when I shuffle bikes around.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-30-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    At work, it sits on top of a handy file cabinet where it won't be disturbed. At home, it sits on a shelf in the garage, along with gloves. The shelf is held by two closet brackets; under the shelf is a clothes rod with the jackets, pants, Gerbing's, etc.
    Hmmm...seems you copied my idea, or did I copy yours... my shelf will hold 5 Helmets and I can hang 6 Jackets plus a couple ball caps.

I had picked up to of these bicycle racks a couple of years ago, but never used them.

Nicely built out of oak, I re-stained them to match the cabinets in the laundry room and stuck 'em up on the wall. Helmets go there, 'stichs go on the coat rack, gloves go in a basket on a little three shelf chrome rack below the helmets and the boots go under the basket on the bottom shelf of the rack.

Too damn many bikes to list

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Nice and safe

In the Givi - home or work.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post

Same here. Keep it away from ozone and chemical fumes as they'll eat the styro liner and weaken it.

Your helmet should come with a care guide that describes how to store it.

Kind of on topic: Lay your gloves out flat so the sweat evaporates out of them. Don't cram them in your helmet.

I'd be cautious of putting a helmet in a bag if that bag won't allow sweat to evaporate out of the liner. They can get funky quick if sweat builds up in them. Yuck.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

In its own helmet bag, that came with it, in the trunk of the '65 421HO Catalina it parks next to in the garage.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Hmmm...seems you copied my idea, or did I copy yours... my shelf will hold 5 Helmets and I can hang 6 Jackets plus a couple ball caps.
    I dunno...you been poking around my garage?

Actually, when I moved into my now-wife's home in 1997, there already was a shelf between two posts in the middle of the garage, just between the two bays. I hung a clothes rod underneath, and was good to go. Or stop, actually. When we moved last year, I made sure there was enough wall space in the garage for another shelf and rod, although the shelf isn't as large as yours. My wife doesn't ride, but both our helmets fit (I want to be prepared in case she changes her mind), with room between for gloves and glasses. Next to the shelf stapled to the wall is the 200-box of foam earplugs.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Guess great minds think a like.. Mine is on the little round table that just collects her junk if mine is not there..

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I keep mine on the kitchen table just to tick off the old lady.

But seriously, you ought to buy a case for it, or keep it in the box, especially if you don't ride in the winter.