Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: The REDMOND 1000!

Tip of the Helmet to Rob Nye and Mike Kneebone. I would not have attempted the ride without it being so convenient and the fact that I was going to ride the exact route anyway.

What a great event to see so many new members at the same time.

Promised my children that I would stop anytime I felt sleepy or unsafe. Kept the promise and made the ride as well.

I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Tip of the Helmet to Rob Nye and Mike Kneebone. I would not have attempted the ride without it being so convenient and the fact that I was going to ride the exact route anyway.

What a great event to see so many new members at the same time.

Promised my children that I would stop anytime I felt sleepy or unsafe. Kept the promise and made the ride as well.

That's what I like to hear.

Congratulations and a hearty thank you to all the riders who participated in the Redmond 1000. I was impressed with all of you, especially the passengers!

I have to confess that if not for the Redmond 1000 I probably would not have attended the rally. I've got a lot going on and if I hear "new economy" one more time...

Meeting many of you in the verification office was a gas and the pizza party was good fun too.

Thanks again for all the fun and as we like to say Welcome to the Insanity.

Redmond 1000

I want to thank all of the Volunteers for their efforts on the Redmond 1000. It was a fantastic event with Great People and Great Pizza. My friend Bob and I were a little over the time in getting in so we did not qualify, but we had a great time. Bob rides a 1992 GL1500 Goldwing and he needed gas every 90 minutes or so. Needless to say that took us completely out of the running. We spent over 4 hours getting fuel alone. He is an Old School Rider and rides with a Tank Top, No Gloves and an Open Face Helmet. When it was hot we would have to slow down to <50mph so the blast furnace was not so bad. He could not imagine how a closed face helmet could be cooler when it was 109 degrees at 65mph than an open face helmet. He stumbled upon a Protective Gear Seminar at the Rally and they were able to explain to him, what I had not been able to explain, about what to wear. He now is looking for a Riding Jacket and Pants. I will be doing a Saddle Sore 1000 latter this summer by myself so that I can Qualify for my IBA Number. I will not be doing that with Bob. I ran 634 miles on the return trip home, minus Bob, with only one fuel stop in under 10 hours, Peace of Cake. 1000 miles in 24 hours is easy to do. You just can't be with a Goldwing Rider on a Dairy Queen Bike. I'm looking forward to 2012. It will be somewhere in the Midwest. I'll meet my Kid Brother there and we will hang out together for a whole week.

Thanks to All for a Great Time.
    Thanks Mike Kneebone and Rob Nye
    Last edited by GSA Girl; 07-24-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Alicia from The Left Coast
    2010 R1200GSA, 1995 R1100GS (SOLD?) & 2008 KLR650
    IBA# 45858

Friend's First SS1000

My 75 years young riding partner , Herm Walker and I completed the ride. It was his first SS1000 and first long ride since 07/04/2009 when a two time loser drunk driver hit him on his K1200LT. Herm was air lifted to Las Vegas , Nevada due to the severity of his injuries ; his recovery is a testament to "ATGATT" and his tenacity! Kudo's to him , the event planners and all who completed the Redmond 1000!
    BMWMOA Life Member ; BMWRA ; AMA ; IBA ; FBINA157

Quote Originally Posted by GSA Girl View Post
    Bob rides a 1992 GL1500 Goldwing and he needed gas every 90 minutes or so. Needless to say that took us completely out of the running. We spent over 4 hours getting fuel alone. He is an Old School Rider and rides with a Tank Top, No Gloves and an Open Face Helmet. When it was hot we would have to slow down to <50mph so the blast furnace was not so bad. He could not imagine how a closed face helmet could be cooler when it was 109 degrees at 65mph than an open face helmet.
    Staying "cool" is a challenge.......I'll always remember something Mike Kneebone told my S/O when I was riding the '95 IBR ( temps were over 114 in Death Valley.) His words..."as long as she keeps her helmet and 'stich on, she'll be fine". What many riders don't realize is that when they ride in tank tops, etc....they not only sun-burn, but they dehydrate.......quickly. Protective gear protects not only from the pavement, but also the elements.

I had to stop a lot for gas too...6 fuel stops, plus the final. It's more difficult when you have to stop more, but can be done.

Good luck to you on your SS
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Had a great time - thank you to Mike and Rob and the rest. The ride was fun but cold at the end - made the mistake of doing the run through Oregon (Hwy 20) in the wee hours and it was cold. I violated one of the cardinal rules - be prepared for cold weather (should of brought the heated vest at least). The old girl (1987 K75) ran flawlessly, damn I like that bike. Have wanted to do an Iron Butt run for sometime and now I have. Total trip around 3,500 miles. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyork5 View Post
    The ride was fun but cold at the end - made the mistake of doing the run through Oregon (Hwy 20) in the wee hours and it was cold. I violated one of the cardinal rules - be prepared for cold weather (should of brought the heated vest at least).
    Yeah, I went the same route and was surprised to run into 38 degree temps early Tues morning. What made it even more shocking was that I started off from Mesquite where temps were in the 100's. 70 degree shifts in weather temps are hard to fathom much less ride through. Layers are a good thing. Glad you made it safely!
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

BTW, does anyone know who took the group photo of all the Redmond 1000 riders at the pizza dinner and if it's possible to get copies?
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

Quote Originally Posted by calnalu View Post
    BTW, does anyone know who took the group photo of all the Redmond 1000 riders at the pizza dinner and if it's possible to get copies?
    The photographer was none other than Mr. Bill Shaw, editor Iron Butt Magazine.

Speaking of the IBA rag, what did you think of the complementary issue?

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    The photographer was none other than Mr. Bill Shaw, editor Iron Butt Magazine.

Speaking of the IBA rag, what did you think of the complementary issue?
    I'm a subscriber and also completed the Redmond 1000 as my first Iron Butt ride.
    The first issue was, how shall I say this gently, just okay. I thought "Well, I've only got a 1 yr. subscription so no biggie."
    The second issue (which was in the package) was far better. Better content, better layout, just plain better. I like it.
    I'm really looking forward to the 3rd issue and my next Iron Butt ride!

Thanks again to everyone who put the Redmond 1000 on.

I too would like a copy of the group shot. Can it be emailed to the participants?

Steve
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

IBA number

Has anyone gotten their IBA number yet?
    Ellen
    2009 F650GS Twin- loving it!
    IBA Premier member #44055

Redmond 1000 on my 72 R75/5

thanks again to Mike and Rob for putting this on!!! Definitely would have done it differently. I ran the Cheyenne to Redmond route (80 to 84 to 20) would have been better to have started in Cheyenne at night and did 20 during day light. /5 lights leave alot to be desired, even though I upgraded to PIAA bulbs I was running way below speed limit, not at it on Rt 20 saw lots of deer and a nasty accident and it was very cold, had lot of clothes on buy no windshield or electrics. The 30 something degrees had me wishing for my R1100s, its outlet and heated grips as I shivered my way into Redmond. The old bike developed a oil leak about a hundred miles out so not much touring for the rally and limped it home all the while adding several qts of oil to get here. But there is alot to be said for those old bikes.
    Marsha Hall
    2012 GS Rallye, Vespa 250GT, Iron Buffalo Motorcycle Training, lead rider coach

Thanks Kneebone

Deb and I want to thank everyone involved. We spent 3 days traveling east to Miles City to start our IronButt. A great opportunity to spend some time on the bike and to prepare. During the IronButt, we broke a cardinal rule by spending some time in our own bed (no...I wish!!!)as it was right on the route...about a one mile detour....We were feeling cock-sure earlier in the evening until we met up with a Minnesota rider, Steve, finishing a BunBurner Gold in Ritzville, WA. We'd done about 800 miles in 12 hours which didn't seem like much compared to 1600 plus in 23 hours and 47 minutes. Dude...Ritzville !???

Weather was on the cool side and cloudy heading west from Miles City. Couldn't have been better. The Pizza Party was great. Kneebone is a standup natural. Not sure if we'll do it again, but it was a blast the first time.
    2004 R1150RT

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGATTT View Post
    Dude...Ritzville !???
    Ha! That's what I said.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Precision Pothole Locator bullzeye's Avatar

Got home today!

What a journey! My Navigator III GPS says I covered a total of 6,997 miles since leaving Maryland on Monday before the rally. I rode some ~3K miles getting there including completing my first SS via Cheyenne. My only regret was crossing Rt 20 in darkness--I missed some spectacular scenery. On Saturday I took a "side trip" down to Crater Lake, where there were still feet of snow up on the peaks around the crater's rim. After the rally ended I headed up to Seattle (to spent a couple of nights with an Aunt & Uncle whom I had not seen for 20 years) then further north to Bellingham (to spend a night with my wife's Aunt & Uncle) before crossing over the Canadian border to spend one night in Vancouver (saw the U.S. team's entry in the international fireworks competition there!) and I then headed eastward for a couple of days of spirited riding along Hwy3's twisty mountain roads. FABULOUS scenery! Then, after heading back south into the U.S. I decided I needed to make up some time, so I completed my first Bun Burner between Billings, Montana and Dayton, Ohio ... AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE! It was some inspired riding, let me tell you--inspired by the fellowship of the Iron Butt Riders I met at the Rally, and all of the -wonderful- new friends I made along the way. A great big THANK YOU to all the organizers and volunteers who helped put the rally event together, and who help sustain this terrific organization...I am truly in awe of you and the IBA!
    Great minds think.
    -Jay Willmott

(I'm ridin' a 2006 R1200RT)