Thread: Motorcycle Cover Ecosystems

Registered User BetterLateThanNever's Avatar

Motorcycle Cover Ecosystems

OK, I know this is only minimally to do with motorcycles or BMWs, but...

I have been amazed by the variety of fauna that live on my motorcycle cover the last few months. It started with a variety of smallish spiders, some of which made web nests on the exterior and a few tiny fellows that moved in around the dash/headlight mount. They moved on (some needed encouragement), and now every day the past two weeks I'm finding caterpillars on the cover. They seem to like the webbing the spiders left behind... I think they're eating it!

Pics below... anyone else have an ecosystem associated with their bikes?

And approaching the old webbing... snack time?

Michael
    2009 G650GS

Under the cover and into the airbox, or electrical box, or some other nice secluded place. Careful when you start it (if it starts) in the spring.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

BUBBAZANETTI
    i once had a family of coyotes living in my my airbox, but other than that, no.

MysticMan

Wait,wait,wait

It's machinehead

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    i once had a family of coyotes living in my my airbox, but other than that, no.
    Hahaha... must have been hard to avoid the scat every morning...

Michael
    2009 G650GS

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Under the cover and into the airbox, or electrical box, or some other nice secluded place. Careful when you start it (if it starts) in the spring.
    Yeah, this thought occurred to me too... but haven't found any cocoons yet.

Hope it will still start in the spring since I'll be riding right through the winter... a benefit of living in California!
    Michael
    2009 G650GS

Quote Originally Posted by BetterLateThanNever View Post
    Yeah, this thought occurred to me too... but haven't found any cocoons yet.

Hope it will still start in the spring since I'll be riding right through the winter... a benefit of living in California!
    A lot depends on where you live. When we lived at Lawrence, Kansas we had problems with the variety of wasps known as "mud daubers". They make hard little dirt/mud nests. I had them in the shop, occasionally in an odd sport on one of the bikes.

Most recently I spent a day removing, disassembling, cleaning out mud dauber nests, and generally making work again the furnace for a motorhome that spent too much time parked in Kansas.

The opening they go into only needs to be as big as a wasp, but the chamber they build a 3 inch nest in can be really hard to get to through that itty bitty opeining.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

We have the problem with wasps and yellow jackets in the summer taking over snowmachines that are stored with covers in place. The little devils like to build pumpkin sized nests under the covers. My policy is not to remove a cover until we've had a freeze.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost