Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

FWIW, Rick has a nice Thanksgiving special posted on his website. Buy one, get one half off. Perfect timing for us!

I have a Rick Mayer saddle on my other bike and loooove it!

Quote Originally Posted by scjack View Post
    Buy a Russell Day Long and you will receive a very high quality, comfortable seat with no problems or drama. I've heard (first hand) of the problems that others have had that would cause me NOT to buy from either of the Mayer brothers. Conversely, I have owned over a half dozen Russell seats and have never had one problem with the seats or the financial dealings.
    I have had issues with Russell, stems from a problem that didn't involve them, but got a complete lack of understanding and very very bad customer service from them after discussing the issue. Basically them telling me to F off. That's fine cause I can take my money and buy from one of Mayer companies. Really disappointing because I always heard they had good customer service.

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    FWIW, Rick has a nice Thanksgiving special posted on his website. Buy one, get one half off. Perfect timing for us!

I have a Rick Mayer saddle on my other bike and loooove it!
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Mudbug
    I have a Bill Mayer on my K1200GT. I chose Bill after researching both. I found no negative comments about Bill or his saddles.

KevinRT

Bill vs Rick vs Sargent

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have had both a Sargent and a Rick Mayer seat on my now sold Oilhead RT. I originally ordered the Sargent but sold it after less than a full season. It was flat, hard, and only slightly more comfortable than the stock torture platform. I ordered a Rick Mayer when I stored my bike for the winter, received it before getting my bike back on the road in the spring, and never looked back. Very comfortable and very durable. The seat was perfect when I sold the oilhead after 9 years and 160,000 km. Back then (probably 1999) it was my understanding that Bill Mayer did not make custom seats, but had small, medium, large, and extra fat (or whatever he called it) and you made your choice. It seems that has changed and they are custom now.

My hexhead RT seat is now in Rick Mayer's hands and I should receive it before Xmas, though it cannot be used until April (maybe March if we're lucky). I hope it is as comfortable and as durable as the previous seat. I do have concerns about the comfort as I do not see how it can be made as well as the oilhead seat as the back of the "pocket" on the hexhead seat is the front of the passenger seat, rather than part of the rider's section. Can anyone confirm that Rick Mayer (or anyone) can make a hexhead seat as comfortable as the oilhead?

I have a Rick Mayer seat and it is great! The seat makes the whole riding experience better since I spend alot of time on my R1200RT. I have long legs and got a set of foot peg lowering blocks to finish it up. I would get another Rick Mayer seat if I had to choose. Make sure you get the loaner seats from him if you get the work done.

I have never seen Bill's work but Rick does an awesome job. I'm another very satisfied customer.
    Curt Fargo

Cowboyatheart
    Does anyone have any pictures of Bill or Rick seats that you could post? I'm particularly interested in seats for an RT; but all posts welcome. I would like to see the different design and stitching.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of Bill or Rick seats that you could post? I'm particularly interested in seats for an RT; but all posts welcome. I would like to see the different design and stitching.

Rick Mayer:

Bill Mayer:

Sargent:

Russell:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/images/P6173347.JPG
    Not shown, but linked, HUGE photo!

Corbin:

I went through 5 seats on my R1200GS. The Rick Mayer was the last one, but it was no better than my off the shelf Sargent, and didn't hold up nearly as well. I gave the Sargent to my friend with 25K miles on it, and it now has about 60K miles on it and looks great still! The Rick Mayer was looking rough at 10K miles when I sold the bike.

Jim

Rick Mayer saddle photo posted above, but because you must have missed it I am reposting it here:

Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Cowboyatheart
    Thanks for the photos. And I didn't miss it on the first page, but great of you to post it again so it is rest of the photos.

I surprised to read that the Rick Mayer seats have had problems with long term durability. I'm curious if that is the exception or the rule; if anyone has any thoughts on that.

I surprised to read that the Rick Mayer seats have had problems with long term durability. I'm curious if that is the exception or the rule; if anyone has any thoughts on that.
    I put 150k miles on the one on my R1100RS. The foam did sack out, and a seam started to open. Rick rebuilt the seat completely, for free. Lifetime warranty. I have three bikes with his seats on them -- well, the R90S has his foam under the stock recover job -- and they all look and perform great.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar

Both mine and my ex-GFs RM seats were showing very significant wear in the leather at 1 year and under 15K miles. Both bikes were stored inside.

Jim

Both

I have had Sargent, Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer seats. Personal preference is the Bill Mayer. I did not like all the stitching on the Rick Mayer plus mine was too soft. I had good working experience with all three
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

Seeking Mental Floss
    I had Rick Mayer seats on my RT. Liked them a lot, very much better than OEM. I was generally pleased, however, the saddle was not ready until over a month after it was originnaly promised. They offered vague reasons why. I was prepared for this, as other customers had warned me. Overall, I think it was worth it.