Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    I also bought a Rick Mayer's seat early this year. Took delivery the first of May after sending in the Payment in full and the 500.00 deposit on one of his core seats the first of January. Sent the Core seat back the same day in May and after several promises to return the 500.00 core deposit I'm still waiting. The seat was used by me only for two months as I went down in Kansas on the way to Johnson City and rally. The bike was totaled and I am still trying to recover from the new hip. The new seat was salvaged by one of MOA members who helped keep me company in hospital while far away from home. Seat seems to be holding up I'm told but I do question his business practice at least with me.

Jack
    I ordered a seat in February that was due in April but finally arrived in JUNE -- but only after repeated delays. I promptly returned the stock seat and I followed his deposit return policy to the letter and kept all the associated documentation and he still didn't return the seat deposit until 30 days past the 30 days he gives himself for handling the return of your money. Keep after him -- it took me several email/voicemails to get the deposit processed but he finally did return it.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The Russell Day Long is also an awesome seat. My ass is just sayin'...
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Cowboyatheart
    Great comments from everyone. Thank you all. If anyone has any further comments they certainly would be welcome.

It seems like there is more controversy with Rick than Bill, but that may be a result of not having enough people commenting to form a statistically significant sample to draw an "accurate" conclusion.

I will look at both providers. I lean toward leather and less stitching so I will check both of them out with regards to that criteria, in addition to, turn around time and long term service being other factors, aside from the obvious - I want a comfortable seat.

Thanks again everyone.

Neil

Buy a Russell Day Long and you will receive a very high quality, comfortable seat with no problems or drama. I've heard (first hand) of the problems that others have had that would cause me NOT to buy from either of the Mayer brothers. Conversely, I have owned over a half dozen Russell seats and have never had one problem with the seats or the financial dealings.

Cowboyatheart
    Thanks for your comment on the Russel. My issue is that I have the full size 08 R1200RT with a lower seat to accommodate my 28" inseam. When I called Russel they told me that there seat would put me up at least 1" after the break-in period. This, unfortunately, is an inch I cannot spare.

Any further advise on this?

Neil

Whether you ride a Rocky, a Rick, a Russel, or a Sargent, they're all going to work well. Just ask the folks who have them. But before you go shelling out the big bucks for a more comfortable butt, I would highly recommend spending far less on a set of Bead Rider beads and check out what a huge difference they make.

The beads stay between you and the seat so it makes little difference what the seat has going on. Chances are you'll find a big improvement with long days in the saddle plus you'll save a lot of money. If after spending the $35 on a Bead Rider and you're still not happy, then go to plan B and get a custom saddle. Don't start the other way around.

Unlike other remedies such as shearling pads or some foam device, the beads spread your weight over more area plus they allow air flow under you to keep you dry.
    Last edited by RTRandy; 11-16-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Cowboyatheart
    Thanks. any online sources to purchase these from - that you recommend?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Whether you ride a Rocky, a Rick, a Russel, or a Sargent, they're all going to work well. Just ask the folks who have them. But before you go shelling out the big bucks for a more comfortable butt, I would highly recommend spending far less on a set of Bead Rider beads and check out what a huge difference they make.

The beads stay between you and the seat so it makes little difference what the seat has going on. Chances are you'll find a big improvement with long days in the saddle plus you'll save a lot of money. If after spending the $35 on a Bead Rider and you're still not happy, then go to plan B and get a custom saddle. Don't start the other way around.

Unlike other remedies such as shearling pads or some foam device, the beads spread your weight over more area plus they allow air flow under you to keep you dry.

Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Neil
    Most of those folks make saddles to order. You buy from them direct, not from a dealer or distributer. Sargent used to have pre made saddles that you could order on line. Don't know if they still do.

http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html
    http://www.rickmayercycle.com/
    http://www.sargentcycle.com/
    http://www.day-long.com/

Neil
    Bead Rider website is www.beadrider.com . I just ordered an Ultimate seat for my bike.
    Well behaved women seldom make history.
    Kathryn_________________________________________
    2002 R1150R yellow

dhthorpe
    Wow! This site has saved me a huge amount of dollars and headaches. I was seriously thinking of a Mayer seat. Will go with a Sargent now.

Cowboyatheart
    Funny how everyone will take something different from what was posted above. I will be likely go with a mayer saddle. I need to talk to both saddle makers to determine which one I will finally go with. I will also do a ride in and get it made the same day. So should be no worries about deposits or return of the same. I will likely try the beads too, before I purchase a new saddle.

Neil

Funny how everyone will take something different from what was posted above. I will be likely go with a mayer saddle. I need to talk to both saddle makers to determine which one I will finally go with. I will also do a ride in and get it made the same day. So should be no worries about deposits or return of the same. I will likely try the beads too, before I purchase a new saddle.

Neil
    Word of caution: When talking between the two companies and mentioning the other brand, keep in mind there was bad blood between them. Rick Mayor and "Rocky" Mayor are brothers who were raised working with their father Bill who is no long living. Rocky stayed on with his dad's company, Bill Mayor, while Rick started his own to compete. Don't know if things have changed, but for years they didn't talk to one another or care to hear about the others company being mentioned.

mgdoc8307

bill mayer saddle

I rode 5029 miles in 12 days on my Bill Mayer saddle on a trip from NC to Colorado and back- never once felt any pain and I have had two total hip replacements at age 58! Wonderful saddle that I would not trade for anything!

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by mgdoc8307 View Post
    I rode 5029 miles in 12 days on my Bill Mayer saddle on a trip from NC to Colorado and back- never once felt any pain and I have had two total hip replacements at age 58! Wonderful saddle that I would not trade for anything!
    That's great information. How many years have you had the saddle? any issues with workmanship?

mgdoc8307

Bill Mayer saddle

Saddle was only 2 months old when I went on my Colorado trip. Workmanship is perfect-absolutely beautiful-no "issues" at all!